START Leader 2015
Application were due January 26, 2015. If you turned in an application, we will be in touch soon about the status of your application.
New Student Programs & Family Outreach is seeking to employ qualified, currently enrolled undergraduate students who are enthusiastic, hard-working and committed to assisting prospective and/or incoming students and their families through OSU’s START program. START is the summer advising and registration program for incoming students and their families. START leaders will take away new skills and experiences that will open doors and aid them in future careers and opportunities.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment in a high profile position.
- Excel as a team player while maintaining a high energy level, enthusiasm and stamina when working long days.
- Possess familiarity with OSU resources and services.
- Ability to facilitate small and large group discussions and activities.
- Possess high level of maturity and an ability to use independent judgment.
- Desire to make a difference in the lives of new students and their families.
- Exhibit leadership, initiative, dependability, discipline and self-confidence.
- Be ready to take leadership and communication skills to the next level.
- Current undergraduate student, planning to continue Fall term 2015.
- Must be an undergraduate degree-seeking student in good academic standing at time of application and throughout employment.
- Must be in good standing with the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards at time of application and throughout employment.
- Committed to attending all START programs and trainings.
- Valid US driver’s license
Position Terms and Conditions
Length of Position
Candidates are considered START staff members effective the date of selection through the last START session. START sessions run June through August. Additionally there will be opportunities to work outside of START sessions that will be offered but not required. All dates and times are given to the best of our knowledge and may change depending on finalization of the University calendar and START planning.
All START leaders are expected to attend the following training dates:
- START Leader Training Class - Spring Quarter 2015 on Tuesdays from 4pm-6pm (2 credits). CRN will be given in hire letter.
- START Leader Retreat on April 10-11, 2015 details will be given at a later date.
- Summer Training will be June 17-18, 2015
- Attend and actively participate in all START programs - dates below (no exceptions)
- Work at least 3 hours in the START follow-up phone call campaign
- Assist with the implementation of advising and registration programs
- Demonstrate team leadership, responsibility and effective communication skills
- Facilitate small and large group meetings and presentations
- Demonstrate sensitivity to diverse populations
- Provide excellent customer service to new students and family members by communicating accurate information
- Assist new students in developing peer relationships, academic effectiveness, and personal adjustment to OSU through small and large group discussions, individual advisement and positive interactions
Each START leader will be paid $9.25 per hour. This will result in approximately $2000.00 paid for all required START sessions & training. START leader pay will begin with summer training on June 17, 2015. START leaders are not paid for time in class or the retreat. There will be opportunity to work additional hours to earn extra pay.
START 2015 Dates
START Leaders are required to be present for all dates.
While you may take summer classes and work with START simultaneously, you are required to be at ALL START training and START sessions regardless of your class schedule.
You will be required to spend at least one night in the residence hall during one of the START sessions; you will sign up for this one night during class. Summer housing is not provided by New Student Programs & Family Outreach throughout the summer or training. You must secure your own summer housing.
For questions contact New Student Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Opportunity Employment and Accessibility Statement
The office of New Student Programs & Family Outreach does not discriminate against any qualified individual based on age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran’s status in regards to job application procedures, the hiring, advancement, or discharge of employees, employee compensation, job training, or other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment. If you require a job application in an alternative format or another accommodation based on a documented disability please contact New Student Programs & Family Outreach at 541-737-7627.