Oregon State University

Live-On Policy FAQs

Will my financial circumstances be considered as criteria for exemption from the requirement to live on campus?


  • Living on campus in your first year at OSU will provide students the greatest opportunity to succeed in their academic pursuits.  Students’ financial circumstances will not be a basis for exemption. There are multiple housing and dining options that will allow students to make a selection that best meets their financial considerations.


How do I request an exemption? 


  • All first year students at OSU will be required to complete a housing application. Within the housing application, there will be an opportunity to request an exemption. All communication regarding the status of an exemption request will be sent to the student’s ONID email address.


Can I cancel my housing and dining contract after I have lived on campus?


  • Students who fall within the live-on policy are not eligible to cancel their contract unless an exemption is requested and granted prior to the published cancellation deadline.  See more information on the Housing and Dining Contract.


I am living at home while attending OSU for my first year. How can I confirm that my address is within the 30 mile radius of campus? 

 The zip codes that fall within the 30 mile radius of campus include:

  • 97321 – Albany
  • 97322 – Albany
  • 97324 – Alsea
  • 97325 – Aumsville
  • 97326 – Blodgett
  • 97327 – Brownsville
  • 97419 – Cheshire
  • 97330 – Corvallis
  • 97331 – Corvallis
  • 97333 – Corvallis
  • 97338 – Dallas
  • 97343 – Eddyville
  • 97344 – Falls City
  • 97348 – Halsey
  • 97446 – Harrisburg
  • 97351 – Independence
  • 97352 – Jefferson
  • 97448 – Junction City
  • 97355 – Lebanon
  • 97361 – Monmouth
  • 97456 – Monroe
  • 97370 – Philomath
  • 97306 – Salem
  • 97374 – Scio
  • 97377 – Shedd
  • 97386 – Sweet Home
  • 97389 – Tangent
  • 97392 – Turner

What is considered “on-campus?”



Are fraternities and sororities owned and operated by Oregon State University?


  • Fraternities and sororities, as well as private cooperative houses, are not owned or operated by Oregon State University. They are private entities operating under their own standards and procedures not in conjunction with the policies of University Housing and Dining Services.


Are fraternities and sororities exempt from the First Year Experience live-on requirement?


  • Beginning Fall 2014, only students living in a fraternity or sorority that has been approved by the OSU Affiliated First Year Housing Program will be allowed to meet this exception. Students are required to fill out an exemption request which is located within their housing application. 


Are non-profit co-operative houses exempt from the First Year Experience live-on requirement?


  • Beginning Fall 2014, only students living in a non-profit co-operative house that has been approved by the OSU Affiliated First Year Housing Program will be allowed to meet this exception. A list of Affiliated houses is available here. Students are required to fill out an exemption request which is located within their housing application.


What documentation do I need to submit as proof of marriage? 


  • You will need a marriage certificate or a certified copy of a marriage certificate.  Or, if you are on an F-1 visa or a J-1 visa, you may submit a copy of your visa paperwork listing your spouse. 


What documentation do I need to submit regarding my children?


  • You will need a birth certificate or a certified copy of a birth certificate proving your relationship to your child.  Or, if you are on an F-1 or J-1 visa, you may submit a copy of your visa paperwork listing your children as your dependents.


Who is considered a domestic partner?



Will I need to provide a translation in English if my documents are in a language other than English?


  • Yes, we will need to have a translation if the documents you provide to us are not in English.


I’m a new freshman attending summer session at OSU after graduating high school – am I required to live-on?


  • In this case, the student is not required to live on campus during the summer session, but is required to live on campus that year beginning in the fall for three terms.


As a freshman, if I cancel my contract and move off campus, will I be charged a cancellation fee?


  • First-year students are required to live on-campus as part of OSU’s First Year Experience program, therefore you will not be allowed to cancel your contract and move off campus. If a student decides to move off campus without being formally exempted by OSU from the live-on requirement, they will be responsible for their entire housing contract amount remaining at that time, excluding unused dining dollars.


As a returning OSU student, what cancellation fee am I responsible for if I move off campus?


  • If you as a returning student decide to move off campus after signing your UHDS contract, you will be responsible for the remainder of your housing contract, excluding unused dining dollars.


If I am no longer going to be attending OSU but have applied for housing, how do I cancel?


  • Please contact the Office of Admissions and inform them of your cancellation.


I graduated from high school over a year ago, am I still required to live on campus?


  • No. If you graduated from high school more than one calendar year before the term you are starting classes, you are not required to live-on campus. To claim this exemption you must still fill out the UHDS Housing Application and request an exemption based on this reason. All new OSU students are still encouraged to live on campus, including those looking for upper division or transfer communities such as Halsell Hall and Bloss Hall.


What happens if I don't abide by the live-on policy?


  • If a student doesn’t abide by the live-on policy and a discrepancy exists with the condition of their enrollment and their housing status, they will be referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards. In this case, appropriate conduct action will be taken -- subject to discipline through the student conduct process. 

Who do I contact if I have more questions regarding the First Year Experience Live-on Requirement?


  • University Housing and Dining Services can assist you in answering questions on how the live-on requirement may apply to your student status, as well as provide additional information on the housing and dining options we offer. If you have any questions regarding the status of your exemption request, please contact UHDS at (541) 737-4771 or by email at housing@oregonstate.edu. If you have any questions regarding the live-on policy, please contact the Office of the Dean of Student Life at (541) 737-8748. 


What documentation do I need to provide to support my request to live at home or with relatives?


  • Provide name of family member you are going to live with, relationship to you and proof of address by attaching a bill or any other item with the address noted. (Example: I am going to be living with my sister Susie Smart at 1252 9th street Corvallis OR 97333. Attached is a bill confirming my sister’s residence).


If I sign my housing contract and request an exemption after signing, if I am granted an exemption is the contract automatically cancelled or do I have to do something?


  • No your contract is not automatically cancelled. If student is granted an exemption they must send an email from their ONID account to housing confirming the exemption approval.


If I am granted an exemption but my off-campus living situation changes during my first year, is my exemption rescinded?


  • Yes.


What if I request an exemption based on disability?


  • Refer back to the housing application for information regarding Disability Access Services (DAS) or visit the UHDS website.


How does the exemption committee review religious exemption requests?


  • OSU supports the diversity of our student population in the residence halls. This includes students with specific religious beliefs and practices. The fact that a student holds a particular or strong religious belief or prefers to live with like-minded individuals will not automatically exempt the student from the freshman residency requirement. OSU is able to accommodate religious practices and beliefs in a variety of ways including worship space; washing stations; and students’ ability to use residence hall meeting rooms for worship sharing, Bible study and other religious support groups. Dietary needs can usually be met through our dining plan options. Students may choose to form study groups, support groups, dining “buddy” table groups based on religious affiliations. If a student identifies a practice required by their religion and the Exemption Review Committee determines that OSU cannot accommodate that practice, an exemption may be granted.


Is there additional housing and dining information online?