With the support of private foundations, businesses and federal and state agencies, researchers are pushing the frontiers in fields such as energy, human health, the environment and information technology.
Research Grants from federal and industry partners have more than doubled in the past decade. One result: more business spinoffs.
- In 2000, total grants and contracts: $112.5 million. Industry contributed $2.4 million in grants and contracts and $1 million in technology licensing revenue. Business spinoffs: one.
- In 2010, total grants and contracts: $275 million. Industry contributed $5.5 million in grants and contracts and $2.6 million in technology licensing revenue. Business spinoffs since 2005: 12, attracting $65 million in venture capital investment in 2010 alone.
Signature research partnerships grew from public and private investments:
- ONAMI: Oregon Nanoscience and Microtechnologies Institute
- OTRADI: Oregon Translational Research and Drug Discovery Institute
- BEST: Oregon Built Environment and Sustainable Technologies Center
- OPIC: Oregon Process Innovation Center for Sustainable Solar Cell Manufacturing