576 030 Vehicles, Transportation and Parking
Standard No. 576-030
STANDARDS GOVERNING THE USE OF VEHICLES, NON-MOTORIZED TRANSPORTATION, AND PARKING
Authority to Establish Standards Regulating Use of Motor Vehicles and Non-Motorized Transportation; Scope and Applicability
Authority to establish Standards governing the use of all motorized vehicles and non-motorized transportation on the Oregon State University (OSU) property is derived from Oregon statutes. Strict enforcement of these Standards is necessary to maintain safety on OSU streets, reduce congestion, improve security, and effectively utilize parking facilities. Unless otherwise designated below, these Standards govern the use of all Vehicles and non-motorized transportation on OSU owned or managed property.
Hist.: OSU 1-1978, f. & ef. 10-16-78; OSU ef. 9-1-14
Application of Motor Vehicle Laws of the State of Oregon and Relevant City
All motor vehicle laws and ordinances of the State of Oregon and the relevant city, specifically including, but not limited to, ORS Chapters 801 through 823 together with adopted amendments, are applicable to public roads. All provisions of the above motor vehicle laws are applicable and enforceable except as they conflict or are inconsistent with these Standards.
Hist.: OSU 1-1978, f. & ef. 10-16-78; OSU 3-1992, f. 6-5-92, cert. ef. 10-1-92; OSU ef. 9-1-14
For the purpose of these Standards:
(1) “Campus Core” means that part of the Corvallis Campus marked on the linked map.
(2) “Commuter Parking Zones” means the A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, B3, and C parking zones identified on the linked map of the Corvallis Campus. Valid parking permits are required for general use parking spaces in the Commuter Parking Zones from 7 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday. Permits are not required on holidays during which OSU is not open for business.
(3) “Compact vehicle” (as used on Signage) means small Vehicle that does not exceed 5'6" by 15'6."
(4) “Corvallis Campus” means the geographical area of OSU’s campus in Corvallis, Oregon, as marked on the linked map.
(5) “ADA Parking” means parking space(s) designated by Signage as reserved for vehicles displaying a valid Americans with Disabilities Act (“ADA”) parking placard issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) along with a valid OSU permit.
(6) “Motorized Two-Wheel Vehicles” means motorcycles, mopeds and motor scooters, with or without a side-car.
(7) "Parked" means that a Vehicle is stopped regardless of the period of time the Vehicle is stopped or whether a driver is present in the Vehicle when it is stopped, unless the Vehicle is stopped for reasons beyond the driver’s reasonable control.
(8) “Parking space” means any space marked by painted lines and curbs, and not marked as a “No Parking” area.
(9) “Residence Hall Parking Zones” means the BR and CR parking zones identified on the linked map of the Corvallis Campus.
(10) “Signage” means signs placed by OSU to designate parking information. Signage may be posted or painted on the pavement.
(11) “Trailer” means every vehicle without motive power designed to be drawn by another vehicle.
(12) “Utility Cart” or “Golf Cart” means a motor vehicle that:
(a) Has not less than three wheels in contact with the ground;
(b) Has an unloaded weight less than 1,300 pounds;
(c) Is designed to be and is operated at not more than 15 miles per hour; and
(13) "Vehicle" means any type of motor-powered or alternative-powered conveyance including, but not limited to, automobiles, trucks, Utility/Golf Carts, and Motorized Two-Wheel Vehicles.
(14) “Vendor” means businesses or agencies with which OSU has contracted to locate full or part-time employees on the Corvallis Campus.
Hist.: OSU 1-1978, f. & ef. 10-16-78; OSU 3-1987, f. & ef. 6-11-87; OSU 2-1990, f. 6-15-90, cert. ef. 10-1-90; OSU 6-1993, f. 6-9-93, cert. ef. 10-1-93; OSU 6-1999, f. & cert. ef. 6-17-99; OSU 3-2009, f. 6-16-09, cert. ef. 7-1-09; OSU 4-2012, f. 6-6-12, cert. ef. 7-1-12; OSU ef. 9-1-14
Parking Permits for Corvallis Campus
(1) OSU offers a variety of parking permits for parking in designated parking areas on the Corvallis Campus. Unless otherwise specified by Signage, parking permits are required for parking motorized vehicles on the Corvallis Campus. Parking permits and informational parking brochures relating to the Corvallis Campus may be obtained from Parking Services. Permits must be clearly displayed in Vehicles as specified in the applicable parking brochure in order to park in the areas or spaces for which the parking permits are valid. Parking on the Corvallis Campus without a properly displayed, current parking permit in areas or spaces where it is required may result in a citation and a fine.
(2) Parking permits and their fees are specified at parking.oregonstate.edu. Permits will not be issued to persons who have an outstanding balance on their Parking Services account.
(3) Unless otherwise specified on the parking permit, annual parking permits will expire on September 30th.
(4) Parking permits are registered to the person to whom they are issued and may not be used or transferred to other persons for parking on the Corvallis Campus unless to members of a carpool with which that person is affiliated and the use or transfer facilitates the carpool activities.
(5) It is the responsibility of an individual who changes vehicles or license plates after initial registration to submit changes promptly to Parking Services. The associated OSU identification number must be included on all requested changes.
(6) Annual parking permits for Commuter Parking Zones may be purchased by full- or part-time employees of OSU, commuting OSU students, emeritus faculty, and Vendors, all as supply allows. Annual parking permits are initially issued to employees with priority given to those with longer purchasing history, and thereafter on a first come, first served basis. The prices for parking permits differ by Commuter Parking Zone.
(7) Annual parking permits for Residence Hall Parking Zones on the Corvallis Campus may only be purchased by students who have active contracts for on-campus housing with OSU Housing and Dining Services. Commuter Parking Zone locations at corresponding parking rates are not available to students residing on the Corvallis Campus, unless the Director of Transportation Services determines otherwise for a particular academic year.
(8) Permits for Motorized Two-Wheel Vehicles may be purchased for use in accordance with OSU Standard 576-030-0060.
(9) Monthly parking permits may be purchased for any 30 calendar days by OSU employees, students, emeritus faculty, Vendors and Visitors, for use in Commuter Parking Zones as designated by the parking permit.
(10) One day parking permits may be purchased by visitors, department guests, emeritus faculty, employees, students, and Vendors for use in Commuter Parking Zones and short-term parking lots.
(11) Department parking permits may be purchased by OSU departments for use by OSU personnel who are required to utilize their personal Vehicle in the performance of official duties. A valid OSU Commuter Parking Zone parking permit must be displayed along with the Department parking permit. The Department parking permit is valid for up to three (3) hours in all Commuter Parking Zones, not in Residence Hall Parking Zones. Department parking permits expire on September 30, unless otherwise specified.
(12) A Vehicle not otherwise allowed to enter or park in the area designated “Campus Core” pursuant to OSU Standard 576-030-0025 may be issued a courtesy Campus Core Load/Unload parking permit, which allows the Vehicle to park in signed service parking spaces and loading zones in the “Campus Core” for up to 30-minutes.
(13) Parking on the Corvallis Campus in spaces designated by Signage as ADA Parking requires a valid OSU parking permit in addition to a valid ADA parking placard issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Both the parking permit and ADA placard must be properly displayed at all times. Requests for reserved disabled parking spaces should be submitted to the OSU Office of Equity and Inclusion for approval. ADA Visitor parking permits will be issued only to OSU visitors (non-students and non-employees) who display a valid, DMV-issued ADA placard. This parking permit allows for three (3) hours of free parking in all ADA parking spaces in Commuter Parking Zones.
(14) Utility/Golf Cart parking on the Corvallis Campus must display a Utility Cart parking permit. Utility Cart parking permits may be purchased by OSU departments or Vendors on the Corvallis Campus. Utility/Golf Carts must be registered with Parking Services with identification in the form of a license plate or Vehicle Identification Number and corresponding contact information for the owner of the vehicle. Utility Cart parking permits expire on September 30, unless otherwise specified. Unpermitted and unregistered Utility/Golf Carts are subject to immobilization and fines.
(15) Lost or stolen parking permits should be reported to Parking Services. A replacement parking permit will be issued after payment of the replacement fee set in OSU’s List of Fees and Charges, pursuant to OSU Standard 576-010-0000.
(16) Reserved parking spaces are for exclusive use by a College, School, Department, or other approved organizations such as businesses or agencies required to park on the Corvallis Campus to facilitate provision of services to be provided to OSU and must be renewed annually with payment of a fee set forth in OSU’s List of Fees and Charges, pursuant to OSU Standard 576-010-0000. Reserved parking permits may be assigned to individuals based on their position with OSU. A valid reserved parking permit must be properly displayed in Vehicles together with an OSU parking permit that is valid for the parking zone in which the reserved space is located. Requests for reserved parking spaces are reviewed by Parking Services and only granted in rare circumstances as capacity allows.
(17) Dedicated parking spaces are for exclusive use by clients of an OSU department providing a service to the Corvallis Campus community such as parking spaces for Student Health Services and prospective students. Parking Services manages the creation or removal of dedicated Parking Spaces, as capacity allows.
(18) Service parking space(s) are for use by OSU-owned Vehicles with a valid Service permit. The Director of Transportation Services or designee may issue a Service parking permit for certain Vendor Vehicles with a demonstrated need for access to Service parking spaces.
Hist.: OSU 1-1978, f. & ef. 10-16-78; OSU 3-1987, f. & ef. 6-11-87; OSU 2-1990, f. 6-15-90, cert. ef. 10-1-90; OSU 7-1991, f. 6-3-91, cert. ef. 10-1-91; OSU 3-1992, f. 6-5-92, cert. ef. 10-1-92; OSU 6-1993, f. 6-9-93, cert. ef. 10-1-93; OSU 3-1995, f. & cert. ef. 6-20-95; OSU 5-1996, f. & cert. ef. 6-21-96; OSU 2-2004, f. 6-23-04, cert. ef. 7-1-04; OSU 3-2009, f. 6-16-09, cert. ef. 7-1-09; OSU 4-2012, f. 6-6-12, cert. ef. 7-1-12; OSU ef. 9-1-14
(1) All persons operating Vehicles at OSU are responsible for knowing and adhering to the Standards stated herein. The Standards are enforced at all times.
(2) Responsibility for locating a legal parking space rests with the operator of the Vehicle. Lack of space is not a valid excuse for violating any OSU parking Standards.
(3) In the event of conflict between Signage and these or other Standards, Signage shall control and must be followed.
(4) Only Vehicles with a valid ADA placard, a valid Campus Core Load/Unload parking permit, a valid Service permit, emergency-response Vehicles, U.S. Postal Service Vehicles, OSU Campus Shuttle buses, public transit buses and non-motorized transportation may enter or park in the area designated “Campus Core” by Signage.
(5) OSU is not responsible for any Vehicle or its contents parked on OSU property or environs. Individuals assume all risk of accident and property loss, personal injury, and property damage.
(6) OSU may issue citations and enforce fines against both the parking permit holder, the registered owner of the Vehicle and the person in possession or control of the Vehicle at the time a violation of these Standards or Signage occurs.
Hist.: OSU 1-1978, f. & ef. 10-16-78; OSU 2-1990, f. 6-15-90, cert. ef. 10-1-90; OSU 6-1993, f. 6-9-93, cert. ef. 10-1-93; OSU 6-1999, f. & cert. ef. 6-17-99; OSU 3-2009, f. 6-16-09, cert. ef. 7-1-09; OSU ef. 9-1-14
Parking Services may issue refunds for fees paid for parking permits pursuant to a parking permit refund schedule. The parking permit for which the refund is sought must be returned to Parking Services before the refund may be issued. A refund will not be issued to a person who has an outstanding balance on his or her Parking Services account, but the refund will be applied to the outstanding account balance. Any refund amount that exceeds the outstanding Parking Services account balance will be issued after the balance is satisfied.
Hist.: OSU 1-1978, f. & ef. 10-16-78; OSU 3-1992, f. 6-5-92, cert. ef. 10-1-92; OSU 6-1993, f. 6-9-93, cert. ef. 10-1-93; OSU 3-1995, f. & cert. ef. 6-20-95; OSU 5-1996, f. & cert. ef. 6-21-96; OSU 2-2004, f. 6-23-04, cert. ef. 7-1-04; OSU 3-2009, f. 6-16-09, cert. ef. 7-1-09; OSU ef. 9-1-14
Driving and Parking Standards
(1) Anyone operating a Vehicle on OSU property shall observe Signage, speed limits, barricades, bicycle lanes, crosswalks, stop signs, and all other parking and traffic signs and Standards and shall drive in a safe and prudent manner. The speed limit is 15 MPH unless Signage directs otherwise. Driving or parking Vehicles on sidewalks, lawns, and other areas not designated for driving or parking is prohibited.
(2) Parking areas on the Corvallis Campus are reserved for Vehicles with specific parking permits, as indicated by OSU Standard 576-030-0020.
(3) Corvallis Campus Parking Spaces are marked by painted lines, curbs and Signage. Any area not specifically designated for parking is a "No Parking Zone."
(4) No Vehicle may be parked in more than one parking space or stall.
(5) Vehicles may not be parked in loading zones at any time for any purpose other than loading and unloading. The maximum time limit in loading zones is thirty (30) minutes or as otherwise specified by Signage.
(6) Unlicensed Vehicles and Vehicles without OSU parking permits parked more than 24 consecutive hours on OSU property Monday through Friday may be considered abandoned and subject to removal at the registered owner’s expense. After 72 hours those vehicles will be removed at the Registered Owner's expense unless an extension has been granted by Parking Services or by the OSU Department of Public Safety. Vehicles displaying a current OSU parking permit that remain in a commuter lot more than 30 contiguous days will be considered abandoned and subject to removal at the permit-holder’s expense.
(7) All Vehicles driven on OSU property shall be operated by a legally licensed driver. The license must be displayed upon request of Department of Public Safety Officers or Oregon State Police.
(8) Reserved, service and timed parking areas are enforced at all times unless otherwise posted or as provided in these Standards.
(9) Persons are prohibited from living in Vehicles of any kind on OSU property. Streets, lots and other areas are not to be used as living areas for cars, trailers, campers, motor homes, trucks, buses or other like Vehicles. Violators may be cited for improper parking or the Vehicle may be booted or towed.
(10) Only Compact vehicles may be parked in parking spaces marked for Compact vehicles by Signage.
Hist.: OSU 1-1978, f. & ef. 10-16-78; OSU 3-1987, f. & ef. 6-11-87; OSU 2-1990, f. 6-15-90, cert. ef. 10-1-90; OSU 3-1992, f. 6-5-92, cert. ef. 10-1-92; OSU 6-1993, f. 6-9-93, cert. ef. 10-1-93; OSU 3-1995, f. & cert. ef. 6-20-95; OSU 2-2004, f. 6-23-04, cert. ef. 7-1-04; OSU 3-2009, f. 6-16-09, cert. ef. 7-1-09; OSU 4-2012, f. 6-6-12, cert. ef. 7-1-12 (1) ; OSU ef. 9-1-14
Penalties for Offenses
(1) Fines will be imposed for:
(a) Failure to display a parking permit on any Vehicle parked on Corvallis Campus in violation of these Standards or Signage.
(b) Counterfeiting, altering, defacing, or giving false information in an application or hearing, or for misuse of any parking permit. Such a violation will result in the revocation of the parking permit in addition to a fine.
(c) Parking in a "No Parking" area.
(d) Parking in an area on Corvallis Campus not authorized by the parking permit on display in the Vehicle.
(e) Unauthorized parking in an ADA Parking space or van access area as designated by Signage.
(f) Parking on a lawn, sidewalk, crosswalk, bike lane, driving lane or any area on Corvallis Campus not designated by Signage as a parking area.
(g) Parking overtime at single or multi-space meters or posted timed parking areas.
(h) Living in a Vehicle parked on OSU owned or managed property.
(i) Parking in a posted fire lane.
(j) Parking a full size Vehicle in a parking space marked by Signage for a Compact vehicle.
(2) Any other offenses not specified herein which are violations of the motor vehicle laws and ordinances of the State of Oregon, relevant city or OSU, may be prosecuted in the appropriate state or municipal courts.
(3) A Vehicle will be booted or towed and impounded, subject to towing and storage fees at the Registered Owner’s expense, in addition to fines, if the Vehicle is a traffic hazard, a hazard to pedestrians or public safety, if it impedes OSU’s operations, it is an unregistered Utility/Golf Cart, or if it is parked without authorization in a reserved parking space.
(4) In the event three or more unpaid citations are associated with a Vehicle, Parking Services may do any combination of the following:
(a) Terminate the Vehicle parking permit without a refund;
(b) Boot the Vehicle until all citation fines have been paid. Booted Vehicles are subject to tow after three (3) days.
Hist.: OSU 1-1978, f. & ef. 10-16-78; OSU 3-1987, f. & ef. 6-11-87; OSU 2-1990, f. 6-15-90, cert. ef. 10-1-90; OSU 6-1993, f. 6-9-93, cert. ef. 10-1-93; OSU 2-1994, f. & cert. ef. 6-8-94; OSU 3-1995, f. & cert. ef. 6-20-95; OSU 5-1996, f. & cert. ef. 6-21-96; OSU 2-2004, f. 6-23-04, cert. ef. 7-1-04; OSU 3-2009, f. 6-16-09, cert. ef. 7-1-09; OSU 6-2009, f. & cert. ef. 10-15-09; OSU 4-2012, f. 6-6-12, cert. ef. 7-1-12; OSU ef. 9-1-14
Enforcement and Appeals
(1) All penalties prescribed in OSU Standard 576-030-0050, other than violations referred to appropriate courts of law as provided in 576-030-0050(2), will be administratively enforced by OSU. For all administratively enforced violations, a parking citation or notice of offense, including the scheduled fine, will be issued to the person charged with the violation who is in possession or control of the Vehicle or parking permit in use, or it will be attached to the Vehicle.
(2) Fines for cited violations must be paid to Parking Services, on or before the date indicated on the citation. Citations not paid within thirty days may be sent for collection.
(3) A person charged with a violation may appeal the citation by paying the scheduled fine and filing an appeal request within ten (10) days of the citation issuance date. The appeal must be submitted online on the Parking Services website or in writing to the Director of Transportation Services or designee.
(4) A notice of OSU’s decision on the appeal will be issued within thirty (30) business days of receipt of the appeal request. If the result of the appeal is a reversal or a reduction of the citation, all or a portion of the citation fees will be issued from OSU to the appellant by check. If the Director of Transportation Services or designee does not respond to the appeal in writing within thirty (30) days of receiving the appeal, the appeal is deemed denied.
(5) A person who fails to pay and appeal a violation on or before the date specified in the citation forfeits his or her right of appeal.
(6) All judgments rendered represent the final decision of OSU and are not subject to further appeal within OSU.
Hist.: OSU 1-1978, f. & ef. 10-16-78; OSU 3-1987, f. & ef. 6-11-87; OSU 2-1990, f. 6-15-90, cert. ef. 10-1-90; OSU 7-1991, f. 6-3-91, cert. ef. 10-1-91; OSU 3-1992, f. 6-5-92, cert. ef. 10-1-92; OSU 6-1993, f. 6-9-93, cert. ef. 10-1-93; OSU 2-1994, f. & cert. ef. 6-8-94; OSU 3-1995, f. & cert. ef. 6-20-95; OSU 3-2009, f. 6-16-09, cert. ef. 7-1-09; OSU 4-2012, f. 6-6-12, cert. ef. 7-1-12; OSU ef. 9-1-14
Motorized Two-Wheeled Vehicle Operation
(1) Parking areas for Motorized Two-Wheeled Vehicles are specifically designated by Signage. Motorized Two-Wheeled Vehicles may not park in Vehicle parking spaces during the hours when parking permits are required.
(2) Motorized Two-Wheeled Vehicles may not park in any areas prohibited for other motorized Vehicles including sidewalks, bicycle parking areas, bicycle lanes, or pedestrian areas.
(3) Motorized Two-Wheeled Vehicles are prohibited from entering or parking in the area designated “Campus Core” by Signage, unless otherwise authorized by Parking Services or OSU Department of Public Safety.
Hist.: OSU 1-1978, f. & ef. 10-16-78; OSU 3-1987, f. & ef. 6-11-87; OSU 2-1990, f. 6-15-90, cert. ef. 10-1-90; OSU 7-1991, f. 6-3-91, cert. ef. 10-1-91; OSU 6-1993, f. 6-9-93, cert. ef. 10-1-93; OSU 3-2009, f. 6-16-09, cert. ef. 7-1-09; OSU 4-2012, f. 6-6-12, cert. ef. 7-1-12; OSU ef. 9-1-14
Skateboard, Skate and Non-motorized Scooter Standards
(1) Skateboard, skate and non-motorized scooter use is prohibited on the Corvallis Campus, except use as specified in these Standards.
(2) Skateboards, skates and non-motorized scooters may be operated in McAlexander Field House in the area designated for their use. All other use of skateboards, skates and non-motorized scooters is prohibited in OSU buildings on the Corvallis Campus.
(3) Skateboards, skates and non-motorized scooters may be operated on OSU’s paved roadways that are designed for vehicular travel.
(4) Skates may be operated on paths, walkways, and sidewalks at no greater than a walking speed.
(5) Skateboards, skates and non-motorized scooter users shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians, Vehicles and bicycles while in the roadway, as well as emergency Vehicles.
(6) Skateboard, skate and non-motorized scooter users shall obey all stop and yield signs.
(7) Skateboards, skates and non-motorized scooters shall not be used on that portion of Jefferson Street on the Corvallis Campus that is commonly known as Library Hill (immediately south of Valley Library up until 15th Street) and must be walked across the Memorial Union Quad.
(8) Skateboard, skate and non-motorized scooter users shall not perform acrobatics or other stunts when using skateboards, non-motorized scooters or while wearing skates.
(9) All persons using skateboards, skates or non-motorized scooters as authorized by this Standard shall use them in a reasonable and prudent manner, having due regard to traffic, pedestrians' rights, surface of the roadway, the hazard at intersections, and any other condition then existing.
(10) Any person who violates this Standard is subject to:
(a) Issuance of an OSU Citation and a fine. (Fines can be found on the OSU Fees web page.
(b) Institutional disciplinary proceedings, if a student or employee;
(c) An order to leave the immediate premises or property owned or controlled by OSU by a person in charge of OSU property.
(11) Persons failing to comply with an order by a person in charge to leave or to remain off the immediate premises or property owned or controlled by OSU are subject to arrest for criminal trespass.
(12) Parents and guardians of minors; and adult operators, including students, staff and faculty; are responsible for damage to OSU buildings or property by their skateboards, skates or non-motorized scooters and for payment of any fines.
(13) The Vice President for Finance and Administration, the Vice Provost for Student Affairs, Department of Public Safety Director, Manager of Environmental Health and Safety, Director of Facilities Services, Director of University Housing and Dining Services, Director of Conferences and Special Events, the Director of the Memorial Union and Educational Activities, and their designees are included among those "persons in charge" of OSU property for purposes of ORS 164.205(5) and this Standard.
Hist.: OSU 1-1987, f. & ef. 4-21-87; OSU 5-1990, f. 9-7-90, cert. ef. 9-15-90; OSU 3-1993, f. & cert. ef. 5-7-93; OSU 2-1994, f. & cert. ef. 6-8-94; OSU 2-1999(Temp), f. & cert. ef. 4-14-99 thru 9-30-99; OSU 7-1999, f. & cert. ef. 9-9-99; OSU 3-2009, f. 6-16-09, cert. ef. 7-1-09; OSU 4-2012, f. 6-6-12, cert. ef. 7-1-12; OSU ef. 9-1-14
(1) Bicycles must be operated in a safe manner and be equipped in accordance with applicable state laws and city ordinances. Bicyclists shall maintain a safe speed and shall obey all applicable Signage and state, city, and OSU laws and Standards regarding bicycle use. All bicycles that are operated, parked, or stored on the Corvallis Campus by students, staff, or faculty may be registered with OSU’s Department of Public Safety.
(2) Bicycles must be equipped with a brake that enables the operator to make the braked wheels skid on dry, level, clean pavement.
(3) A bicycle or its rider must be equipped with lighting equipment that must be used during hours of darkness and during limited visibility conditions. The lighting equipment required includes:
(a) A white light attached to the front of the bicycle, visible from a distance of at least 500 feet; and
(b) A red reflector or lighting device or material attached to the rear of the bicycle, visible from a distance of at least 600 feet.
(4) Bicycles must not be operated on sidewalks or other walkways unless Signage indicates otherwise.
(5) Bicyclists involved in collisions shall call the Department of Public Safety for assistance. All involved individuals shall remain at the collision site until released by the attending officer. When a collision results in an injury, a written accident report must be submitted to OSU’s Department of Public Safety by the individuals involved.
(6) Bicycles may be parked, stored, or left only in areas so designated by bicycle racks, Signage or storage. Bicycles parked at bicycle racks at or near academic or research buildings longer than five days will be considered abandoned and will be impounded.
(7) Bicycle users may be cited for:
(a) Improper or unsafe operation of a bicycle including failing to obey a traffic control device , having more persons on a bicycle than it is designed to hold, riding with such a load as to impede visibility or safe operation of the bicycle, and riding faster than the posted speed limit;
(b) Use of improper or inadequate equipment including no bicycle headlight, no rear reflector or lighting device, and no bicycle helmet for riders under 16 years of age;
(c) Being parked in a way that creates a hazard, including blocking the bicycle or traffic lane, blocking access to any stairway, ramp or doorway, and blocking access to any handrail or other device used to aid entry to a building or structure;
(d) Being parked in a way that hinders the use of a bicycle parking device by other bicyclists;
(e) Being parked in buildings except in designated bike rooms;
(f) Any other violations of these Standards or applicable state law and city ordinances.
(8) The fine for any such citation can be found on the OSU Fees web page. Bicycle citations may be appealed in writing within 10 days to the Director of Public Safety or designee. If the Director of Public Safety or designee does not respond to the appeal in writing within thirty (30) days of receiving the appeal, the appeal is deemed denied.
(9) Bicycles may be impounded by OSU’s Department of Public Safety if they are left in a place that creates a safety hazard or if they appear to be non-functional or abandoned. A notice of impoundment will be sent to the registered bike owner, if known, within 24 hours. Bicycles may be claimed from OSU’s Department of Public Safety by identifying the bicycle and paying the citation fine and impoundment fee to Parking Services. OSU will not be liable for the cost of repair or replacement of a securing device damaged when removing and impounding a bicycle.
(10) Registrants and owners are responsible for parking violations involving their bicycles.
(11) Bike lockers are available for rent on an annual or term basis from Parking Services at fees established in OSU’s List of Fees and Charges, pursuant to OSU Standard 576-010-0000
Hist.: OSU 4-1987, f. & ef. 6-11-87; OSU 3-1992, f. 6-5-92, cert. ef. 10-1-92; OSU 2-1994, f. & cert. ef. 6-8-94; OSU 3-1995, f. & cert. ef. 6-20-95; OSU 3-2009, f. 6-16-09, cert. ef. 7-1-09; OSU ef. 9-1-14