Information Services's projects are aligned with OSU's Strategic Plan
OSU's Priorities & Strategic Plan
As articulated in the OSU's Strategic Plan, the University's three top goals are to:
- Provide outstanding academic programs that further strengthen performance and pre-eminence in the three Signature Areas of Distinction.
- Provide an excellent teaching and learning environment and achieve student access, persistence and success through graduation and beyond that matches the best land grant universities in the country.
- Substantially increase revenues from private fundraising, partnerships, research grants, and technology transfers while strengthening our ability to more effectively invest and allocate resources to achieve success.
These are priorities the University pursues through active engagement with state, national and global communities and with the aspiration of being among the ten best Land Grant universities.
The Strategic Plan notes that to successfully pursue these goals it will be necessary to "Improve the... information infrastructure that supports the education, research and outreach and engagement missions of the university.” Information Services operates, manages and leads the development of this infrastructure. Our goal is to support the University's three priorities and its engagement beyond the boundaries of the Corvallis campus, providing a top-10 IT infrastructure for a top-10 institution.
The New IT Ecosystem
OSU's priorities and Information Services' core tasks need to be addressed in the context of a rapidly evolving series of challenges. Now and in the coming years, students, researchers, academic professionals, and business centers will:
- Choose their own devices and interfaces - IT can no longer mandate platforms and systems in all instances
- Create content and data at ever-increasing rates - IT must enable "big data"
- Store and access data in multiple networks - IT must enable virtual servers and cloud-based access
- Analyze and share (and protect) data across applications - IT must enable flexible implementations of business intelligence
- Collaborate with colleagues - IT must enhance partnerships with social platforms and technologies
Information Services has initiated a series of projects that address the needs and challenges. The IS projects include:
These projects speak to our core mission of supporting teaching, learning, research, and business efficiency. But as our world evolves, and our customers' needs evolve along with it, the projects also speak to the strategic shifts we're making to meet new challenges.