Q: How much would this really save the university?
The estimated savings to the university is just over $70,000 per year and over 1 million lbs of CO2 emissions. These numbers apply just to CN-supported computers, which account for approximately 60% of the computers on campus for faculty, staff, and IS computer labs.
Q: What other benefits does this provide me as a computer user and the university?
- Reduced electricity usage.
- Reduced heat output and air conditioning usage.
- Smaller environment footprint and carbon emissions.
- Longer lifespan of equipment.
- The documents and state of your computer are retained after the computer wakes up, either during the day, the next day or after the weekend! This means you are able to pick up where you left off easier and faster.
Q: What about Energy Star Ratings?
A: The OSU Energy Saver power scheme we have created meets or exceeds Energy Star guidelines.