- Int'l Programs
- Int'l Degree & Education Abroad
- Int'l Student Advising & Services
- Int'l Scholar & Faculty Services
Health Insurance (Accident and Sickness)
All OSU study abroad participants are required to carry travel insurance for the entire duration abroad. Student on OSU sponsored programs will be insured in a supplemental medical insurance program provided through the Oregon University System and administered by Gallagher Koster Student Insurance Services. The plan includes emergency evacuation, repatriation and travel assistance services provided by Europ Assist. All students participating in OSU-sponsored study abroad programs will be enrolled for this insurance*, and it is intended to supplement either students' personal insurance policies or the national health care program in the host country.
*Students participating on programs sponsored by outside agencies that provide sufficient study abroad insurance, such as AHA, SIT, IFSA-Butler, API, SAS and CIEE will NOT be enrolled for this insurance.
*Students participating in SFS or SEA Semester programs will be required to purchase the OSU international traveling insurance.
You will be enrolled for insurance coverage by the International Degree and Education Abroad for the duration of your program abroad. You will be enrolled based on the dates supplied by your program administrator. The enrollment information you receive via email before your departure from Gallager Koster will include a letter of enrollment and identification card. Be sure to print out your card and take it with you abroad.
The cost for the deluxe plan is $13.15 per week*. Students will be charged for the total number of weeks abroad, based on official start and end dates of each program. Insurance enrollment will be extended to seven days before and seven days after the official dates of their program to cover travel time to and from the study site.
The cost of insurance will either be billed to your student account at the start of each term and is due at that time or it is already built into your program costs. Please check with your program administrator regarding billing for your program. Students abroad for more than one term will be charged at the start of each subsequent term for the cost of that term's insurance.
Minor medical claims must be paid up front to the healthcare provider at the time services are rendered and submitted to the insurance carrier for reimbursement. Information about how to make a claim is available to you through the Gallagher Koster website. Emergency services are provided by Europ Assist and must be arranged through that organization in order for the costs to be covered by the plan. Information about how to arrange for emergency services is provided directly to students in the enrollment letter from Gallagher Koster.
If you would like to extend your coverage dates you can purchase a comparable plan administered by Gallagher Koster. See the Gallagher Koster website for more information.
If a student withdraws from the Study Abroad program prior to the effective date of coverage and prior to leaving to their designated site abroad, 100% of the monies will be refunded.
For students who purchase coverage for an academic year program, and initiate participation in an overseas program and then decide to discontinue the program or return home prior to their designated end date, monies will be refunded under the following terms:
- The first three (3) months of coverage will always be recognized as fully-earned premium by the carrier and will be forfeited by the student.
- Refunds will be prorated based on the number of remaining months. Refunds will be issued only if the student has not utilized any of the services of Europ Assist.
- A $25 processing fee will apply.
Under the deluxe plan while on a Study Abroad program, coverage includes:
- $200,000 coverage per medical injury/accident/illness
- $0 Deductible (all costs are paid up front; students submit claims for reimbursement)
- Impatient and Outpatient Hospital Expenses
- Physical Therapy and Chiropractic Care
- Prescription Drugs
- Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption
- 24-hour Worldwide Assistance Services, including Emergency Medical Evacuation and Repatriation of Remains, also including travel advice and assistance
- Security Evacuation
Please refer to the Plan Brochure for complete details on coverage, exclusions and limitations.
- Europ Assist includes guaranteed hospital admission, emergency medical evacuation, prescription assistance, and repatriation of remains. Read the complete brochure for details. Note: Europ Assist should be contacted first to assist you in finding appropriate medical care. 1-609-375-9190 (Collect from outside the United States),
1-888-870-2947 (Toll-free within the United States)
Make sure to read the insurance brochure for exclusions and details on pre-existing conditions, etc.
For questions regarding coverage or other details, please contact Gallagher Koster Student Insurance Services.
For questions regarding emergency assistance services, contact Europ Assist:
1-609-375-9190 (Collect from outside the United States)
1-888-870-2947 (Toll-free within the United States)
* Price per week is subject to change based on renewed contracts between Gallagher Koster and the Oregon University System.