- Int'l Programs
- Int'l Degree & Education Abroad
- Int'l Student Advising & Services
- Int'l Scholar & Faculty Services
Faculty Internationalization Grants (FIGs)
Faculty Internationalization Grants (FIG) are designed to encourage and support OSU faculty who are working to further OSU’s internationalization efforts as well their own professional involvement in activities that enhance our teaching, research and engagement with topics and colleagues beyond the U.S. OSU’s current internationalization efforts include recruitment and retention of diverse international students, developing and supporting education abroad opportunities for OSU’s domestic students, promoting global learning through curricular and co-curricular means, and fostering strategic international partnerships to promote faculty research and outreach activities. Grants are available to OSU faculty to help promote international research, partnership, and collaboration. The applicant’s unit is expected to share the cost of this investment to promote internationalization across the University.
International activities eligible for funding
- Travel or lodging for purposes related to international research site – funds will be awarded to support individual or collaborative international research by faculty.
- Travel or lodging to participate in an international conference – funds will be awarded to help faculty present papers/workshops and/or moderate panels at professional meetings and conferences abroad.
- Travel or lodging to teach as a visiting faculty at an international university.
- Invite international researcher/collaborator to OSU – funds can be used to support travel, lodging, or speaker fees/honoraria.
- Travel or lodging for purposes related to the development of a new education abroad opportunity.
- Maximum award amount: $2,500
- Matching funds of at least 25% at the unit level are required.
- Applications will be accepted throughout the year and awarded on a rolling basis.
- Grants are awarded through International Programs and administered within the awardees’ respective units.
Applicants must be:
- OSU faculty (includes professional and fixed-term, non-tenure track)
- 0.5 FTE or greater
- 9-12-month appointment
Ineligible: Emeritus, visiting, courtesy or temporary faculty, graduate students and post-docs.
Criteria for Award Selection
- Describe how the activity furthers OSU’s internationalization efforts.
- Describe how the activity enhances your own professional portfolio (teaching, research and/or engagement) with topics and colleagues beyond the U.S.
- Letter (email) of support from Dean or Associate/Vice Provost.
- Note: FIG awards are limited to one award per faculty member per academic year.
Approval Notification and Procedures for Transfer of Funds
- Units must provide at least 25% in matching funds of total request. For example, if the total request is $2,500, the unit must provide a minimum of $625 in matching support.
- Applicants will be notified of approval or incompleteness by the Office of the Associate Provost for International Programs within 30 days of application submission.
- International Programs will transfer the funds to a departmental index code provided by the recipient. The recipient/unit will be responsible for tracking expenditures and following University policies related to travel, procurement, reimbursements, etc.
Awardees must submit a one-page FIG Reflection Report to their college/unit and International Programs within 30 days of completing the activity. The report should include:
- Outcomes of the activity and how it contributed to the internationalization of the college/unit/college/ university.
- Your plans to disseminate what you have learned as a result of the activity. We encourage awardees to share knowledge and contacts by participating in department, college, or University international activities.
IP will post these reports on our website to illustrate the depth and breadth of international activity on campus and to provide a conduit for networking amongst faculty.
Please contact Charlotte Moats-Gallagher, if you have any questions.
Past Grant Recipients