Current Scholars

The online scholar orientation guide contains useful information and resources for new and current international Exchange Visitors and employees at Oregon State University.

It is recommended that all scholars review the links and materials below before arriving in the U.S. and attending the mandatory scholar check-in (required for all new exchange visitors on a J-1 visa). If you have any questions, you can ask during the ISFS check-in orientation or through email.

Orientation Topics:

Orientation Opportunities

The online Scholar Orientation guide contains useful information for new and current international Exchange Visitors and employees at Oregon State University. It is recommended that all scholars review the links and materials below before attending the mandatory scholar check-in upon arrival at OSU. If you have any questions, you can ask at that time or through email.

OSU International Scholar Online Orientation & Resources

Jump to the ISFS online guide to resources for international scholars and faculty at OSU.

National Postdoctoral Association (NPA)

The NPA provides many useful resources specifically for postdoctoral scholars. However, all international scholars and faculty may find topics on the NPA web site to be of great value especially the International Postdoc Survival Guide.

OSU New Employee Orientation Sessions for Staff and Faculty (Human Resources)

OSU Human Resources holds a monthly orientation session for new employees and hires. Most of the information presented will be helpful for all scholars even if they are not employed by OSU; just be aware that not all benefits, programs, or services may apply to your program category.

The New Employee Orientation sessions will present new staff and faculty with:

  • The "big picture" of OSU, including the organizational structure, and its mission and values
  • An understanding of the campus resources and services available to assist
  • The terms and conditions of employment
  • An overview of health and retirement benefits if employed

Getting Off to a Great Start (pdf)

OSU Human Resources made an integration guide for new OSU employees that all scholars could benefit from. The guide provides information about campus, benefit options, HR orientation, training opportunities, ideas for working with your supervisor, and self-guidance.

Research Office New Faculty Orientation

New faculty and researchers are invited to attend a one-day orientation meeting in October to learn about services which help research faculty be sucessful such as navigating rules and regulations, funding, and a panel discussion on working with Federal agencies.

First Year Online Orientation

Online orientation for first year students at Oregon State offer additional links and information for getting settled at OSU. Not all information or policies apply to the scholar population and is for informational purposes only.

Resource Guide (ISOSU & ISFS)

International Students of OSU (ISOSU) and International Student and Faculty Services (ISFS) worked together with other offices on campus to bring you the OSU Multicultural Resource Guide that you can use to find out about things that others have found helpful and/or are important to know about while you are here.

Mandatory Scholar Check-in and Orientation (ISFS)

All J-1 Exchange Visitors must check in with the International Scholars and Faculty Services (ISFS) within 30 days of the DS-2019 Program Start Date and arrival in the United States. Scholars will review their immigration documents and the rules and regulations of their J visa category.

Accounts Set-up

There are various accounts that scholars may neet to set up upon arrival at Oregon State University in order to get access to OSU campus and Corvallis resources.

Cell Phone | Bank Account | OSU ID Card | ONID Network ID | Library | Social Media | Email Lists | Drivers Licence or Oregon State ID | Resources


Cell Phones

If you would like to have a cell phone while living in the US, Corvallis is covered by all four major providers (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint). For a monthly service plan, most cell phone companies require a new customer to sign a two-year service agreement. Penalty charges apply if you cancel your contract within 2 years. If you do not want to sign a 2-year contract, you have a choice of pre-paid or pay-as-you-go plans. Visit the major provider's website for more detailed information.


Bank Account

When you arrive in Corvallis, you may choose to open checking and/or savings account(s) with  local bank. You usually need two pieces of picture identification (passport and OSU ID card), your local mailing address and money to open an account. More information is available on the Money and Banking page.


OSU ID Cards

Oregon State University Identification Cards is the official identification card for students, faculty, and staff. International scholars, faculty, and dependents will be able to get a OSU card. The card functions as a meal card, library card, access card, and more. It is issued by the OSU ID Center. Learn more about what documents are needed to get an OSU ID.



OSU Network Identification (ONID) is a universal computer account available to all OSU students and employees. Scholars on an affiliate faculty appointment type may not have access to an ONID account since it is a limit to this appointment type.

You get a free email address with your ONID account, but ONID is much more than email. With an ONID username and password, you also get access to University technology services, the wireless network, Blackboard, ResNet, IS computer labs, and the Interlibrary Loan. For more information and set-up help visit Using Your ONID webpage.


Library Access

The OSU Libraries offer many scholarly trainings, and Library Resources for Faculty and Instructors. Learn how to get Library Access for Scholars.


Social Media and Activities

There are many activities and events on the OSU campus. Be informed about what is happening by subscribing or saving these links.


Email Lists

The OSU Email Listservs is a listing of all the public mailing lists on Click on a list name to get more information about the list, or to subscribe, unsubscribe, and change the preferences on your subscription.


Driver's License or Oregon State ID Card

To drive a car in the US, you will need to get an Oregon State Driver’s License. You must pass a written knowledge test of US driving laws in English and a driving test. You will also have to wait until 10 days after you first check-in with the ISFS office before going to the Department of Motor Vehicles before you will be able to get a driver’s license. More information on the Transportation page.


Searching for Resources

  • Google Maps will give you maps, driving, walking, or public transportation options if you need to get somewhere.
  • 211info has free information about more than 7,000 health, community, and social services. Corvallis is located in Benton county.
  • Craigslist provides local classifieds and forums for jobs, housing, for sale, and much more.
  • Visit Corvallis has information on things to see and so, events, lodging, and getting around Corvallis.

OSU ID Cards

Oregon State University Identification Cards is the official identification card for students, faculty, and staff. It functions as a meal card, library card, access card, and more. It is issued by the OSU ID Center.

Application Procedure

All persons applying for an OSU ID card must come to the ID Center in person and present proper identification for card issuance unless otherwise specified. You will receive your OSU ID card immediately after your photo is taken. Please be aware that a card fee may apply. Please choose the appropriate status category from the choices below for more information.

You will need to bring with you proper identification (Valid Passport, Driver's License, State ID Card, or Residence Alien Card) and a copy of your welcome letter from your sponsoring department. The letter will contain your OSU ID number and your classification. If you did not receive a welcome letter you may still come to the ID Center, however keep in mind that the center cannot issue an ID card until your sponsoring department has processed your paperwork.

Appointment Type

For OSU Employees:

OSU employees will be able to get an ID card after their hiring  department has submitted the Fast Track Employee ID form (available on OSCAR) to OHR. 

For J-1 Exchange Visitors in Researcher or Professor Categories:

The department sponsor will issue either an affiliate or courtesy faculty status form (available on OSCAR) before the Exchange Visitor can get an OSU ID card and ID number. For additional information about the affiliate vs. courtesy faculty ranks, please refer to the OHR policy and OSCAR.

  • Courtesy Faculty are eligible for a Courtesy Faculty ID card. Courtesy faculty rank appointments will be input into Banner by OHR and will give the visiting scholar greater access to library privileges and an ONID email account. You will need to bring with you proper identification and a copy of your welcome letter. The letter will contain your OSU ID number and your classification. We cannot issue an ID card until your sponsoring department has processed your paperwork.
  • Affiliate Faculty may obtain their ID Card at the ID card office by bringing the letter of Notice of Affiliate Faculty Status received from their department to the ID Center along with proper photo identification.

For Scholar Dependent's:

  • Spouse or Domestic Partner: The spouse or domestic partner of current OSU Students, Staff, and Faculty can use the Affiliate Card for checking out Valley Library materials, membership purchase and entry at Dixon Recreation Center, and certain Athletic ticket discounts. Both the OSU Scholar and their spouse or domestic partner must bring photo ID to the ID Center and sign an Affidavit of Marriage or an Affidavit of Domestic Partnership. OSU requirements for Domestic Partnership status are available at the ID Center. Affiliate ID card fee is $20.00. The affiliates card expires when the OSU Student/Employee leaves OSU.
  • Children: Children age 16-26 may also be eligible for an OSU ID in order to sign up for a Dixon Recreation Center pass. More information at the OSU ID Center.

International Student Interns:

J-1 Exchange Visitors in the Intern Category does not need an affiliate or courtesy faculty appointment. The ISFS office will email the ID Center asking that an ID card be issued to the J-1 Intern after the Intern's mandatory check-in appointment. The ID card fee is $20.00.

ID Center Location

The OSU ID Center is located in Room 094 of the Kerr Administration Building.

Money and Banking

Banking in the US | Banking Terms | Handling Money | Currency Value

  Banking in the United States

When you arrive in Corvallis, you may need to open a checking/and or savings account(s) with a bank. There are many banks in Corvallis. You can find which banks have local offices by looking in the Corvallis Phone Book (Type "Corvallis" and look in the "Finance" section). You can find out more information about the policies and procedures of each bank by looking at the bank's Web site. You usually will need two pieces of picture ID (passport and OSU ID card), your local mailing address, and money to open an account.

Checking accounts are designed for paying bills and general living expenses, allowing unlimited deposits and withdrawals each month. When you open a checking account, you receive checks, deposit slips, and a transaction register. You can also request an Automatic Teller Machine (ATM) card that will allow you to withdraw or deposit money at ATM terminals worldwide.

Savings accounts are designed to store money for long periods of time. Savings accounts often have a limit on the number of withdrawals that can be made each month. Money usually earns a small amount of interest.

Credit cards are a popular form of payment in the U.S.; the most widely accepted credit cards are Visa and Master Card. It is not easy for international students or scholars to obtain credit cards in the U.S. It is best to apply for a credit card in your home country. If you would like to take cash from your credit or debit account, you can use a Plus, Cirrus, Interlink, or Star Network bank card to make cash withdrawal. ATMs are located in the airport, on the OSU campus, and around Corvallis. NPA advice on getting a credit card and building credit history.

Transferring funds is also an option to get money to your bank account in the U.S. Before coming to the U.S., familiarize yourself with procedures for transferring funds from your home country. There are fees associated with this process and it takes some time so upon arrival be prepared to pay your initial expenses.

International wire transfer of funds can be an option for scholars transferring bench fees (fee paid to work in some lab spaces) or other academic fees which go directly to the sponsoring department at OSU from an international personal bank account or scholarship provider. Contact an international scholar advisor for more information.


Banking Terms

  • ATM: Automatic Teller Machines are machines where you can withdraw money from or deposit money into your account by using an ATM card. ATMs can be found in many convenient locations both in Corvallis and the State of Oregon as well as in many countries throughout the world.
  • Balance: The amount of money remaining in your account after adding all deposits made, and deducting all checks written and cash withdrawn from the ATM.
  • Bounced check: A check, which is returned because there is not enough money in your account. You may be required to pay a substantial fine for each bounced check.
  • Debit Card: A card that can be used at stores and businesses to pay for goods or services. The money is withdrawn from your checking account.
  • Deposit: Money added to your account.
  • Minimum balance: The smallest amount of money you must maintain in your account in order to receive certain benefits such as free checking service.
  • Overdraft: A charge to your account that exceeds the amount of your balance.
  • PIN: a Personal Identification Number is a number you must enter into ATM machines or phone services before you can have access to your account. The PIN is used as a safety measure to ensure that you are the only person to use your account.


Handling Money

For safety reasons, you should carry any large sums of money ($50 or more) in the form of draft checks or traveler's checks. However, plan to carry some money to get set up and for small items such as phone calls. Also your first salary payment or fund transfer may not be available for 6-8 weeks after you arrive.

You should come prepared to pay living expenses, bring enough money to cover initial expenses such as rent and utility (gas, electric and telephone) deposits and housing application fees. These deposits and the first month's rent may range from $1,000 to $1,500 and application fees are usually $30. There may also be expenses for household items to get first set up (furniture, kitchen equipment, etc.).

If you expect funds from your home country for your OSU program, ensure that satisfactory arrangements for payment are made before you depart. You should know your government's regulations on currency exchange and bank procedures for money transfers to the United States. Delays in the transfer of program funds can create hardship and inconvenience. Financial assistance for international scholars in the U.S. is not available and U.S. immigration regulations governing the employment of non-immigrant scholars and students are very strict.


United States Currency Value











Half-Dollar (rarely used)


Golden Dollar


Paper Bills: $1, $5, $10, $20, $50, $100  

Rules and Regulations

Scholars are expected to know and follow state, federal, government, and OSU rules and regulations while living in the United States. These resources give a brief, but not complete, guide to regulations you should follow.


Alcohol Laws in Oregon

  • Legal drinking age is 21
  • Blood alcohol content defined as illegal: .08%
  • You cannot operate a motorvehicle with an open container of alcohol
  • Illegal to buy alcohol for minors under 21
  • Alcohol rules and minors information

Bike and Helmet Laws in Oregon

Seat Belt Laws in Oregon

Public Smoking in Oregon

Disclaimer: This page contains information and links outside of OSU. OSU makes no warranty, guarantee or representation to the accuracy of the information posted here nor the accuracy or compliance with applicable laws of sites external to the OSU website. OSU does not in any way endorse services or products promoted by sponsoring organizations or websites listed here. We encourage users to verify the legitimacy of information and organizations cited here.

Safety and Emergency Procedures

Emergency Contact | Immigration Emergency | Embassy Contact | Emergency Contact Card | Safety

In case of an emergency, call 911

In case of an OSU campus emergency call 541-737-7000

Oregon State University recognizes the importance of maintaining a safe and secure learning environment for our students, scholars, staff and faculty members.  It is critical that everyone has an awareness of appropriate measures to be taken and procedures to follow to insure the safety of all.  These guidelines and procedures are provided to assist the campus community in recognizing emergent situations and taking proper actions to reduce exposure to risk and harm.

24-hour OSU Emergency Contact: call 541-737-7000

In case of an after-hours emergency, call this campus emergency number to reach the OSU Department of Public Safety. They will contact the International Programs staff for you.

When you call, ask the name of the person to whom you are speaking, then give that person the following information, speaking slowly and clearly:

  • Your name
  • Your location (including the name of country, province, city or town, and location within the city, such as street address)
  • How we can contact you (telephone number, fax number, e-mail address)
  • A brief explanation of the problem, and the type of help you are requesting


Immigration Emergency

The International Programs staff is here to support you while you are abroad or in the United States. We are available to talk with you if you have questions or concerns, or if an emergency situation arises.


Embassy Contact


Emergency Contact Card

An emergency contact card is an essential part of an emergency kit. If a natural disaster or other emergency were to take place, you should know whom to contact and where to go.

  • How to make an emergency contact card
  • Write your name, phone number, and home address on the card
  • Write the local phone numbers for the police, fire department and ambulance service
  • Print and include this webpage
  • Poison control phone
  • Your doctor's name and contact
  • Your health insurance number
  • Who to contact in an emergency: names, numbers, and language spoken (in your home country and the U.S.)
  • Embassy contact
  • Keep this information with you and leave a copy at home and with a friend/sponsoring department


OSU Safety Information

A safe and secure environment is made possible through each member of the Oregon State University community's involvement in crime prevention and sensible behavior. In order to have a safe and successful Oregon State University experience, each person must take responsibility to recognize one's own vulnerability to crime and reduce risks through preventive action and cooperation with Oregon State Police and the Department of Public Safety.

Other Resources

OSU Alert System (requires ONID account)

This system allows public safety officials to create emergency alerts that contain a recorded voice message, an email message, and a text message and send them to the current database of contact information for all employees and students. In crisis situations, the system will try all means of contacting each person in the database, and uses sophisticated means to verify contact so that we know we have reached everyone we could.

Benton County Emergency Services

Working to assist emergency responders and promote community safety.  See suggestions for preparing yourself and your home in case of an emergency.

Centers for Disease Control (CDC)

The CDC maintains several departments concerned with occupational safety and health. 

Benton County Health Department

Benton County Health Department works to create and sustain the conditions in which all people in our community can be healthy.

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)

Disaster mitigation, preparedness, response, recovery, education, and references.

Disclaimer: This page contains information and links outside of OSU. OSU makes no warranty, guarantee or representation to the accuracy of the information posted here nor the accuracy or compliance with applicable laws of sites external to the OSU website. OSU does not in any way endorse services or products promoted by sponsoring organizations or websites listed here. We encourage users to verify the legitimacy of information and organizations cited here.


Information about transportation options and vehicle/parking resources for the Corvallis campus can be located below.

How to Get to Corvallis and Oregon State University

Step-by-step guidance on how to find your way to Corvallis and OSU from the nearest airports.

Getting Around Corvallis and the Surrounding Area

You will find links to bus schedules around Corvallis, to Albany, Philomath, and Newport; train information; taxi cab company names and phone numbers; links to car rental agencies; and more.

OSU Bike Loan Program

The Oregon State Bike Loan Program is a collaborative effort to reduce the impact of vehicle use on the OSU campus and in our local environment. Bikes are available by the term, week or day. Availability is limited.

Driving in Oregon

Link to the Oregon Department of Motor Vehicle's website.  Learn about driver license requirements.

Buying and Owning a Car

What you need to know about insurance, buying new vs used cars, registration, and car repairs.

TAPS Transit and Parking Services

You can buy an OSU parking permit, pay a citation, get answers to parking questions, and view shuttle information.

Travel Safety Tips

Travel safety tips and resources.

Disclaimer: This page contains information and links outside of OSU. OSU makes no warranty, guarantee or representation to the accuracy of the information posted here nor the accuracy or compliance with applicable laws of sites external to the OSU website. OSU does not in any way endorse services or products promoted by sponsoring organizations or websites listed here. We encourage users to verify the legitimacy of information and organizations cited here.

Buying and Owning a Car

While cars are convenient, there are many reasons not to own one. They are expensive to buy and operate, parking can be difficult and frustrating, insurance is required and is very expensive. Public transportation is available around the Corvallis area  and buses are free. It is possible to rent a car for weekends or vacations to explore Oregon.

Automobile insurance

Drivers of automobiles, motorcycles, and other motor vehicles have a financial responsibility in case of an accident that involves injury or death, or damage to property or another vehicle. DO NOT DRIVE WITHOUT INSURANCE! There can be very serious legal and financial consequences if you do not have insurance.  Laws in the state of Oregon require all drivers to attain liability insurance for their motor vehicles. Insurance requirements.

Before you buy a car

You can save some money if you do some research before you buy. The Consumer Reports annual survey of new or used cars (available at the library or bookstore), covers car reliability, frequency of repairs, etc. It will help you become educated about which car you wish to buy, and the way to get the best price. For a small subscription price, their website has information on insurance, buying a car and other consumer advice. Additionally there is an website at that has information on buying a car. When you go to look at a car, take along a friend who is knowledgeable about purchasing and evaluating a car.

Buying a new car

You can choose from many different makes (such as brands of new cars, sizes and models). After you choose a model, you must decide about "options" or special features engine size, automatic or manual ("stick shift") transmission, and so on. Check the internet for “car prices”—sites such as have information on what the dealer costs are. Then when you go to spend time looking at different cars and models you will know what the basic prices and added "option" costs should be. Each car dealer offers different prices or “mark ups” from the base price). If buying from a dealer, always ask for their best price. Nobody pays the "sticker" price--always bargain!

Buying a used car

You will probably get the best deal on a used car from a private person rather than from a dealer. It is okay to bargain on the price. First check the The Kelly Blue Book price ( ) which gives average prices for used cars for different years and models. Then check bulletin boards, the classifieds of local newspapers, including the Express and Classified Flea Market ( for cars for sale. The Buggy Bank ( at 2821 Shattuck Ave. is a good place to look at a variety of cars for sale by owners. Any reputable person selling a used car will allow you to take the car to a mechanic for a thorough inspection (called a "diagnostic check"). Mechanics usually charge $50 60 for this service. Check in the Yellow Pages of the telephone directory for the phone numbers of local mechanics, or contact the Oregon State Automobile Association ( Ask those who live in the area if they can recommend a mechanic or repair shop. Call first to inquire about prices and to make an appointment.

Paying for a car

Cash--You can often get the best price for a car by offering to pay the full amount in "cash"--in this case meaning a cashiers check from a bank, or travelers checks. DO NOT CARRY DOLLARS! --Be suspicious of anyone asking you to bring dollars! IT CAN BE DANGEROUS TO CARRY LARGE AMOUNTS OF MONEY WITH YOU. Also, if you pay cash and anything goes wrong with the car, you will not have any way to cancel your check or track your payment.

Financing a new or used car--Whether buying a new or used car through a dealer, compare the cost of different methods of financing. Loans may add 20 30% to the total price of the car. If you should decide to buy on credit, it is best to do so through a credit union, bank or savings and loan association. And remember, before signing any documents, make certain that you understand all the details of the sale and payments required. Keep copies of all documents.

Documents needed to register a car

When you complete the purchase of a used car, you must be given a certificate of ownership, called the ”Certificate of Title” or "pink slip" by the dealer or previous owner; it must be signed by them, and your name indicated on it as the new owner. You will need this slip to register your car or to sell it later.

Automobile registration

If purchasing a new car, the dealer may take care of the registration and you will be mailed the license plates. For a used car, it must be registered with the DMV. Check the website at for current information. Take the car and the pink slip to the DMV. New car and some used car dealers take care of registering the cars they sell. Upon payment of the registration fees, which vary according to the model and age of the car, a temporary registration slip will be issued and ownership recorded. An official registration slip will be mailed to you. Used cars keep their license plates, so you do not need to remove them.

Repairing cars

AAA of Oregon has a list of auto repair shops in the state to protect you from dishonest repair people.

When you meet with the repair person, please check that:
• You are provided with a written estimate of how much the repair work will cost (cost of labor + cost of parts) before the repair work is begun. No charge can be made unless you approve it and give authorization to do the work;
• A written invoice (bill), must be given to you, with all work and parts itemized;
• You must be given the worn out parts if you ask for them before the work is begun;
• If used or rebuilt parts are used, this must be noted on the bill; and
• No repairs may be done by a shop other than the one you are dealing with, unless you are notified and approve.

Hopefully, you will not have any difficulties. However, if you experience problems, please learn how to file a complaint.

Getting Around Corvallis and the Surrounding Area

Public Transportation | Other Oregon Transit | Taxi | Car Rental

There are many options for scholars to get around Corvallis and the United States without a car.

  Public Transportation in the Corvallis-Benton County Area


Corvallis-Benton County Area Transportation Providers


Other Oregon Community Transit Providers


Taxi Cabs

  • Beaver Cab (541) 738-8294
  • Auto-Taxi (541) 752-8294
  • Fast-Cab (541) 753-3278
  • Auto Taxi (541) 752-8294


Car Rentals

Disclaimer: This page contains information and links outside of OSU. OSU makes no warranty, guarantee or representation to the accuracy of the information posted here nor the accuracy or compliance with applicable laws of sites external to the OSU website. OSU does not in any way endorse services or products promoted by sponsoring organizations or websites listed here. We encourage users to verify the legitimacy of information and organizations cited here.

Travel Information

During program breaks or vacation it will be a great opportunity to travel and see Oregon and the United States. Below are some travel safety tips and links to help you choose your destination and plan your travel.

Explore Oregon

Travel America

Travel Safety Tips

  • Highway Safety: American Red Cross highway safety tips for driving on the highway in the United States.
  • National Council for Crime Prevention: A non-profit group, the National Council for Crime Prevention has a web site full of current information on avoiding crime. The pages are available in English and Spanish and provide a wealth of personal safety information.
  • Make My Trip: Packing smart, handling money, transport, phones, American slang, and personal safety tips around traveling.
  • USATourist: has safety tips on driving and traveling in the United States.

Travel and Transportation Agencies

Air Travel

Traveling Abroad

Other Resources

Financial Information

Keep copies of credit cards and numbers for reporting lost or stolen cards. Let your banks and credit card companies know when you will travel. Some countries use credit cards with chip-embedded technology, check with your bank.

Telephone and Communication Abroad

There are some general steps you should follow when taking your phone out of the U.S. Understand the service and data package available with your mobile devices abroad.



Leave copies of important documents at home. Inform your Department Head of your itinerary and emergency contact information.

Disclaimer: This page contains information and links outside of OSU. OSU makes no warranty, guarantee or representation to the accuracy of the information posted here nor the accuracy or compliance with applicable laws of sites external to the OSU website. OSU does not in any way endorse services or products promoted by sponsoring organizations or websites listed here. We encourage users to verify the legitimacy of information and organizations cited here.

Taking Classes

Enrollment and Taking Classes at Oregon State University

International Scholars and dependents may want to take a class or classes at Oregon State University or a different institution during their stay in the United States.

If you are in the United States in any non-student visa status it is critical that you consult with your Immigration advising office before applying for admission. Please be aware that only certain visa types allow an individual to pursue coursework. Consequences of taking classes may result in failure to maintain visa status.

Visa Type

Allowed to Take Classes (part-time)?

Allowed to pursue a degree (full-time)?

Eligible for on-campus student employment?

Eligible to apply for post-graduation work authorization?

Where to go for advice







F-1, J-1/ J-2 Students/Dependents with OSU-sponsored status documents



Yes, with authorization

Only F-1 and J-1 students may apply

International Student Advising & Services (ISAS)

F-2 Dependents

Yes, part-time only (9 credits)




International Student Advising & Services (ISAS)

J-1, H-1B, E-3, TN with OSU-sponsored status documents

*Yes, in some cases

**See note below



International Scholar & Faculty Services (ISFS)

J-2, E-3D with OSU-sponsored status documents



***See note below.


International Scholar & Faculty Services

H-4, TD with OSU-sponsored status documents





International Scholar & Faculty Services

Non-OSU visa holders

Maybe, check with sponsor




Program (visa) sponsor

Other Visa Types Sponsored by OSU (PP, PR, L2, etc.)

Contact International Student Advising & Services (ISAS)

  *J-1 Professor, Research Scholar, Short Term Scholar, and Student Intern categories

The primary purpose of exchange visitors in these categories is research and/or interning.  Visitors may take classes related to their research program or internship as long as their original program is not delayed or interrupted by part-time study. 

  • OSU Courses: OSU policy limits course load to 6 graduate or 8 undergraduate credits per academic term. Before enrolling in classes, scholars must register as non-degree students.  Apply to OSU online by visiting admissions.
  • English Courses: OSU policy limits course load to 9 credits of English Language per term. Apply for INTO-OSU English Language classes through International Admissions.
  • Other Courses: Linn-Benton Community College Admissions.

**If enrollment in classes becomes the primary objective for a J-1 scholar, then the J-1 category may no longer be appropriate. A change of status type may be needed and the scholar is requested to contact ISFS about his/her situation.


J-2 and E-3D Dependents

J-2 Exchange Visitors may enroll as degree or non-degree seeking students on a full or part-time basis. Learn more about dependent benefits.  

***Dependent Employment Authorization

J-2 or E-3D dependents are eligible for on-campus student employment positions (if they are enrolled in at least 1 credit at OSU) or off-campus employment only if they have applied for work authorization and received an Employment Authorization Document.


Important Consideration for Dependents

While E-3D, F-2, J-2, H-4, and TD dependents may take classes and even pursue a degree, they are NOT eligible for the same kinds of benefits that they would be if in a student visa category.  Talking with an international student advisor about your options may be helpful in making a decision about your visa status and future plans.

Learn English

There are many English language learning opportunities for scholars, students, and dependents in the Corvallis and surrounding area. First read the policies regarding taking classes which may restrict study depending on your visa type.

OSU English/Conversation Programs


INTO OSU provides opportunities for learning English as a Second Language. View the different types of international English programs.

International Resource Center

The International Resource Center (IRC) is located in the MU and provides a place to practice English and bring together various cultures in the community. Various cultural organizations put on events throughout the year, and there are multiple conversation opportunities each week.

ISOSU Coffee Hour

This is a weekly meeting anyone can attend. International students meet to practice English and make friends. More information about upcoming events.

Community English/Conversation Programs

Crossroads International

  • Conversation School for Women: Crossroads Conversation School is for international women interested in improving their English language skills and making friends. The school is a non-religious, nonpolitical, ommunity program. Classes meet twice weekly in small groups of five to ten women. The school offers beginning to advanced instruction in conversational English at low cost. Students explore other cultures, learn English survival skills, and develop friendships. Childcare is provided at the school for an additional cost.
  • Conversation and Friendship: Crossroads International provides a link between the University and community members for students and scholars, as well as family members of international students or scholars to practice English.

Corvallis Multicultural Literacy Center (CMLC) Conversation Groups

The Corvallis Multicultural Literacy Center offers English Conversation Groups at no cost to students, faculty, their family members or community members. Groups meet twice weekly for one hour at 128 SW 9th Street in Corvallis.

Linn-Benton Community College

The English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) program is presented by the English Language and Culture Institute in partnership with LBCC. ELCI provides instruction for students with a wide range of English language proficiency and personal needs.


The OSU Research Office provides a variety of services in support of the research activities of OSU faculty. Their page has many useful links and resources to help researchers get involved and connected.

Orientation for New Research Faculty

The Research Office offers an annual orientation for research faculty and support staff who have recently joined Oregon State University. Research faculty and support staff in all disciplines who have recently joined Oregon State University are invited at the begining of each acadmeic year to a program introducing services that support success.

Research Study Rooms

Faculty and doctorate students can check out 90-day research rooms. Research study rooms are available from the OSU Library for a 90-day loan period to all faculty and doctorate students who are within 6 months of preparing for or have completed their oral exams.

Office of Sponsored Programs

The Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) has central responsibility for proposal submission for sponsored research, scholarship, instructional and other activities at Oregon State University, and contractual compliance as it relates to sponsored activities.

Office of Research Integrity

The Office of Research Integrity (ORI) ensures compliance with ethical and legal responsibilities in research involving live vertebrate animals, biosafety, chemical safety, scientific diving and boating, radiation safety, human subjects and financial conflicts of interest. ORIworks with other committees to ensure compliance and integrity.

Research in OSU Colleges & Multidisciplinary Centers

Life and Customs in the US

There are many topics within American Life and Customs in the United States. Below are a few links and resources to get started.

Culture of the United States

Social Etiquette and Norms in the United States

Social norms are shared expectations about what kinds of behaviors are acceptable or not.  Social norms are not actual rules because you cannot get in legal trouble for breaking them, however, breaking social norms can make people uncomfortable or it can hurt the social lives of those who do it.

American History, Arts, and Culture

Workplace Etiquette

American Communication and Business

Disclaimer: This page contains information and links outside of OSU. OSU makes no warranty, guarantee or representation to the accuracy of the information posted here nor the accuracy or compliance with applicable laws of sites external to the OSU website. OSU does not in any way endorse services or products promoted by sponsoring organizations or websites listed here. We encourage users to verify the legitimacy of information and organizations cited here.

Cultural Adjustment

Cultural adjustment is a process an individual has to go through to be able to work effectively and live comfortably in a place that is new and unfamiliar to them. Living in a new culture requires you to learn a new set of cultural patterns and behaviors. This process can be very challenging and sometimes uncomfortable. There are generally three main types of cultural adjustment*.

CULTURE SURPRISE usually occurs during the first few days of your visit as you initially
become aware of superficial differences. Examples: people dress differently, signs are in a
different language, nonverbal behaviors are different.

is a fairly short-term response to "stimulus overload." This occurs when
you begin to respond to the behavior of the "new" culture. Examples: trying to drive a car, doing
your own shopping, hearing comments about yourself.

is a normal, healthy psychological reaction to the stress of living in a
different culture. You experience feelings of tension and anxiety because you have lost familiar
cultural cues. Your actions do not always get you what you want. And your inability to
communicate effectively with others is frustrating.

*Janet and Milton Bennett, 1999

At some point during the cultural adjustment process, you will probably experience culture shock. Culture shock is caused by the stress of being in a new culture and is a normal part of adjusting to a new place. When you live in a new culture, your own values are continually brought into question. Also, you are cut off from the cultural clues and known patterns with which you are familiar. Kalvero Oberg, the man first credited with diagnosing culture shock, describes it this way:

“These signs and clues include the thousand and one ways in which we orient ourselves to the situations of daily life: when to shake hands and what to say when we meet people, when and how to give tips…how to make purchases, when to accept and when to refuse invitations, when to take statements seriously and when not…”

You will probably not just wake up one morning and say, “Oh, I am experiencing culture shock!” It is a gradual, cumulative process that builds up slowly. It is important to recognize the symptoms of culture shock so you can be better prepared for it.

Some Symptoms of Culture Shock**

  • anxiety, crying a lot
  • irritability, hopelessness
  • homesickness, distrust of hosts
  • depression, withdrawal
  • fatigue, stereotyping
  • boredom, self-doubt
  • avoiding contact with host nationals, difficulty studying effectively

Not everyone experiences culture shock in the same way. You may have difficulty sleeping while your friend sleeps most of the time. You may experience many of the symptoms listed above or only a few of them. The most important thing to remember is that culture shock is a normal part of the adjustment process. If your symptoms are severe, be sure to let others know how you are feeling. Talk to a friend, an international scholar advisor, or a counselor in the community. You do not have to be alone!

What You Can Do to Help Fight Culture Shock:

  1. Realize that culture shock is a natural part of adjusting to a new culture. Practically everyone who lives abroad experiences culture shock to some degree—you are not alone. If you are familiar with the symptoms of culture shock and anticipate them, you will have an easier time adjusting.
  2. Don’t be afraid to share your feelings with others. Talk to other international students about what you are feeling and experiencing. You will probably find that others can relate to how you are feeling.
  3. Become involved in activities on campus or in the community. This is a good way to meet people and will help enrich your time in the United States. If you feel uncomfortable joining a program or activity, ask a friend to come with you.
  4. Develop a “support system.” Being away from family and friends who normally support you can be difficult. It is important to connect with others who can provide you support.
  5. Take care of yourself. Living in a foreign country can be very stressful on your body. Remember to get plenty of rest, eat well, and exercise. Join an intramural sport, try out Dixon Recreation Center, cook your favorite dish from your country, or try the local ethnic grocery stores.
  6. Take some “time out.” Speaking a foreign language all day can be very exhausting! Remember to spend some quiet time each day reading a book or listening to music in your own language.
  7. Keep your sense of humor. It is important to be able to laugh. Allow yourself to see the humor in misunderstandings and embarrassing situations.
  8. Set small goals for yourself. Remember that many of the things that were easy for you may not be so easy in a new culture. Make realistic goals so you can feel good about reaching them.
  9. Ask questions and learn from others. If you don’t understand something, remember that it is okay to ask for help. OSU faculty and staff, classmates, and other international students can help answer your questions and increase your understanding of American culture.
  10. Keep a positive attitude. You will most likely experience some negative feelings while you are in the U.S. While this is perfectly normal, it is important to not let them dominate you. You might try keeping a list of your enjoyable experiences so your outlook remains positive.

**Material adapted from Survival Kit for Overseas Living, Robert Kohls, Chicago: Intercultural Press, 1994.

Employee Services and Support

International scholars and faculty that are paid through Oregon State University will find the following resources useful. Each link will take you to the specific program's website for more information. All links located at Faculty and Staff Resources from Oregon State University.

Campus Resources

Employee Services

Professional Development

Social Security Information

Social Security Number and Card

A Social Security Number is a personal nine-digit number which helps the Social Security Administration maintain an accurate record of your wages or earnings that are covered under the Social Security Act.

An international visitor must be employed by Oregon State University to be eligible for a Social Security Number. International employees applying for a Social Security Number (SSN) card must apply in person at a Social Security Administration (SSA) office. The closest SSA to OSU is in Albany, Oregon. International employees must attend the new scholar check-in with ISFS before they apply for a Social Security Number.

Social Security Administration (SSA) Office Location


ALBANY, OR 97322





9:00 AM - 3:00 PM


9:00 AM - 3:00 PM


9:00 AM - 12:00 PM


9:00 AM - 3:00 PM


9:00 AM - 3:00 PM





Office Closings

Contact Information for Social Security (includes Interpreter service for non native English speakers)


The Student Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) advises that applicants for a social security card should be in the United States for more than ten days before going to the social security office to apply. Scholars will also need to attend the check-in with the ISFS office in order to have an active immigration record. This allows time for arrival data from the port-of-entry to be entered in the primary system that the social security administration uses for authorization validation.

At a Social Security appointment, employees will need to present the following documents:

  1. Offer letter from the department for which they will be working

  2. I-94 Arrival Record, printed from

  3. Original immigration status document (DS-2019 for J-1, I-797 Approval Notice for H-1B, I-94 for TN, etc.)

  4. Valid passport

  5. One additional piece of identification establishing identity & age. This can be the US visa stamp.

Upon submitting the application, the scholar should request an SSA receipt as it can take 2 - 4 weeks to receive a SSN card by mail. The receipt is necessary for adding the employee to OSU's payroll and should be shown to the sponsoring department.

You need a Social Security number to get a job, collect Social Security benefits and receive some other government services. But you don't often need to show your Social Security card. Do not carry your card with you. Keep it in a safe place with your other important papers.

How do I get a SSN if I am not employed by OSU?

Lawfully admitted noncitizens can get many benefits and services without a Social Security number. You do not need a number to conduct business with a bank, register for school, apply for educational tests, or obtain private health insurance. You cannot get a Social Security number for the sole purpose of obtaining a driver’s license or applying for these other applications.

J-2 scholar dependents with an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) are also allowed to obtain a Social Security Number. More information about applying for an EAD card and work authorization here.


Tax Information

Oregon State University cannot assist international students, visitors or employees with tax advising or tax preparation. However, the following information can assist sponsors and department business offices in guiding the non-resident alien (NRA) through the US and State of Oregon tax processes.

Main People of Contact for Paying NRA's and Foreign Businesses

Where To Begin

International Employees

  • NPA Beginner's Guide to Income Taxes for International Postdocs (National Postdoctoral Association)
  • Submit a CO-NRA and W-4 forms for all non-resident alien employees, along with the new hire job forms.
  • CO-NRA forms must be updated by the employee annually. These forms are available on OSCAR.
  • Does the scholar's country have a Tax Treaty with the US?  Find out here: 2012 Tax Treaties for Non-Resident Aliens
  • Form 8233 instructions and filing schedule can be found on the IRS website.
  • If you have any questions related to this information, email Anita Gurule or call 541-737-3770.
  • Visit the ISFS webpage on US Taxes for additional information. Each year ISFS office sends a link to Glacier Tax Prep, an online tax software system, to assist with your federal tax preparations.

International Exchange Visitors - if paid an honorarium or reimbursement

  • Information on applying for an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) can be found on the IRS website. If the visitor does not have an ITIN, the reimbursement or honorarium will be taxed at 30%.
  • Submit Form 8233 to the Business Affairs office, along with reimbursement form.


  • If an international scholar need a number for tax purposes and you are not authorized to work in the United States, you can apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Visit IRS in person or call the IRS toll-free number, 1-800-TAXFORM (1-800-829-3676), and request Form W-7, Application For An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number.
  • If you are assigned a number for nonwork purposes, you cannot use it to work. If you use it to work, we will inform DHS.

Local Resources

Searching | Post Office | Medical | Bank | Credit Union | Library | Recreation | Schools

Local resources vary by your location in Oregon. You may use the links to search for local resources such as the post office, medical centers, banks and credit unions, libraries, recreation and schools.

Searching for Local Resources

  • Google Maps will give you maps, driving, walking, or public transportation options if you need to get somewhere.
  • 211info has free information about more than 7,000 health, community, and social services. Corvallis is located in Benton county.
  • Craigslist provides local classifieds and forums for jobs, housing, for sale, and much more.
  • Visit Corvallis has information on things to see and so, events, lodging, and getting around Corvallis.


Corvallis Post Office

Corvallis, OR 97333
1-800-275-8777‎ ·


Medical Centers

2400 NW Kings Blvd, Corvallis, OR ‎
(541) 757-2400 ‎ ·
5234 SW Philomath Blvd, Corvallis, OR ‎

(541) 768-4970 ‎ ·

530 NW 27th St, Corvallis, OR ‎
(541) 766-6835 ‎ ·
1128 NE 2nd St, Corvallis, OR ‎
(541) 757-8100 ‎ ·
201 Plageman Bldg, Corvallis, OR ‎
(541) 737-9355 ‎ ·
(only available for enrolled students)
Options Pregnancy Resource Center  
867 NW 23rd St, Corvallis, OR ‎
(541) 758-3662 ‎ ·
985 NW 23rd St, Corvallis, OR ‎
(541) 753-1287 ‎ ·
1505 NW Harrison Blvd, Corvallis, OR ‎
(541) 754-6222 ‎ ·
601 NW Elks Dr, Corvallis, OR ‎
(541) 754-1254 ‎ ·
999 NW Circle Blvd, Corvallis, OR ‎
(541) 754-2225 ‎ ·


Banks and ATMs

978 NW Circle Blvd, Corvallis, OR ‎
(541) 752-5161 ‎ ·
324 SW 3rd St, Corvallis, OR ‎
(541) 758-2881 ‎ ·
235 NW Monroe Ave, Corvallis, OR ‎
(541) 757-5611 ‎ ·
415 NW 3rd St, Corvallis, OR ‎
(541) 752-0474 ‎ ·
148 NW 25th St, Corvallis, OR ‎
(800) 732-0173 ‎ ·
375 NW Monroe Ave, Corvallis, OR ‎
(541) 757-4000 ‎ ·
555 NE Circle Blvd, Corvallis, OR ‎
(541) 758-2181 ‎ ·
777 NW Kings Blvd, Corvallis, OR ‎
(541) 754-7277 ‎ ·
275 SW 3rd St, Corvallis, OR ‎
(541) 752-5161 ‎ ·
2600 NW 9th St, Corvallis, OR ‎
(541) 757-2600 ‎ ·


Credit Unions

555 NE Circle Blvd, Corvallis, OR ‎
(541) 758-2181 ‎ ·
2101 NW Professional Dr, Corvallis, OR ‎
(541) 754-7765 ‎ ·
1044 NE Circle Blvd, Corvallis, OR ‎
(541) 752-9662 ‎
Corvallis, OR ‎
(541) 224-6025 ‎
1823 14th Ave SE, Albany, OR ‎

(541) 791-5400 ‎ ·

707 Waverly Dr SE, Albany, OR ‎
(541) 928-2773 ‎ ·



Corvallis Public Library
645 NW Monroe Ave, Corvallis, OR ‎
(541) 766-6926 ‎ ·



175 SW Twin Oaks Cir, Corvallis, OR ‎
(541) 757-0776 ‎ ·
play indoor · lil kickers
660 SW 26th St, Corvallis, OR ‎
(541) 737-4455 ‎ ·
oregon state beavers · basketball coach · college basketball · ncaa
Gill Coliseum, 660 SW 26th St, Corvallis, OR ‎
Corvallis, OR ‎
(541) 737-3748 ‎ ·
207 NW 2nd St, Corvallis, OR ‎
(541) 754-6444 ‎ ·
sales people · snowboards · backpacking · trek
Corvallis, OR ‎
360 SW Avery Ave, Corvallis, OR ‎
(541) 766-6871 ‎ ·
1940 NW Highland Dr, Corvallis, OR ‎
(541) 766-7946 ‎ ·
water slide · lap swimming · indoor pools · outdoor water · toddlers
327 SW 3rd St, Corvallis, OR ‎
(541) 757-1983 ‎ ·



1555 SW 35th St, Corvallis, OR
(541) 757-5811 ·

Disclaimer: This page contains information and links outside of OSU. OSU makes no warranty, guarantee or representation to the accuracy of the information posted here nor the accuracy or compliance with applicable laws of sites external to the OSU website. OSU does not in any way endorse services or products promoted by sponsoring organizations or websites listed here. We encourage users to verify the legitimacy of information and organizations cited here.

Cultural Organizations

OSU and Corvallis have a wealth of organizations and centers committed to celebrating the diversity of the campus and community. All are welcome to join any of these groups and centers.

International Students of Oregon State University (ISOSU)

The International students of Oregon State University (ISOSU) leads in creating a community that enhances and influences the student experience. ISOSU facilitates cross-cultural interaction and understanding by inviting many voices from around the world to be heard. ISOSU is committed to supporting and developing a wide range of international opportunities for the OSU community focusing on the education of issues and appreciation of cultures on this university campus.  ISOSU is responsible for the International Resource Center (IRC), located in the Memorial Union.

INTO OSU Cultural Ambassador Conversant Program

Engage with your international student peers!  Help them learn about life at OSU and your culture while you learn about theirs. This is a great way to internationalize your education at OSU and gain cultural diversity experience here on campus. Cultural Ambassador groups aim to explore our campus and participate in meaningful conversations.

OSU Student Organizations

There are a number of country and region-specific groups, as well. For a complete list of all of the registered student groups on campus, please visit the OSU Student Organization site. 

OSU Cultural Centers

OSU has multiple cultural centers which provide programs and activities for the OSU community. 

Intercultural Student Services

The mission of the Office of Intercultural Student Affairs is to build the intercultural and Cross-Cultural capacity of students through high-impact pedagogical practices and support services, so as to best inform and empower them in a globally diverse and engaged world.

Crossroads International

Crossroads International is a community volunteer organization that provides friendship, hospitality, and language assistance for OSU's international students and visiting scholars. For more than 35 years, Crossroads International has connected international students, faculty & scholars, and their family members with local volunteers for friendship and education. We offer five programs, regular events and special activities like our International Film Festival - so there are many ways to get involved and meet people! Volunteers are always needed, and students or scholars may request services at our office or by filling out some of our online forms.

Multicultural Literacy Center

Corvallis Multicultural Literacy Center (CMLC) is a place where people of all cultures can come together in a “living room for learning,” where all people can be teachers and learners, where sharing cultures and expanding literacies enables everyone to take part in the community.


Oregon State University offers a friendly, welcoming community where students and scholars can get involved in their favorite activities — and try new ones. Scholars can get involved on campus, as well as in the Oregon community with community events such as lectures, concerts, festivals and other cultural programs. Find an area that interests you and get involved!

Corvallis Guides

On Campus

Art and Culture

Corvallis and Oregon

Get Informed



Activity Centers & Education


Festivals and Events


Resources for Women

 Resources for Women Researchers and Scholars

Multicultural Resource Guide

Your resource guide to multicultural communities and services at Oregon State University and beyond.

Office of Equity & Inclusion

The Office of Equity and Inclusion is committed to success for the entire university community through equality, fairness, and understanding.

Office of Human Resources

The office of Human Resources believes that each employee has a significant role in the achievement of the University’s mission, and that diversity in the University’s culture is critical to success. By promoting integrity, flexibility, mutual exchange of ideas, and continuous improvements, the OHR looks to provide opportunities for all its employees to achieve their career and work life goals.

OSU Cross-Cultural Mentor Program

The OSU Cross-Cultural Mentoring program is designed to connect students with faculty/Staff from across campus, to create a support network, and to provide a cross-cultural educational experience.

Women and Minorities in Engineering

WME’s mission is to encourage women and minorities to join the field of engineering; through recruitment, retention and research.

President’s Commission on the State of Women

PCOSW actively advocates and promotes a positive climate for all university women students, staff, faculty, and administrators. Visit PCOSW’s resource page or find them on facebook.

 OSU Childcare Resources

Using community and campus resources for childcare, these programs address the particular financial, developmental, and educational needs of children and their parents.


OSU Professional Development Opportunities

 OHR Workshops & Online Trainings

The Office of Human Resources offers a wide variety of workshops and online resources aimed at addressing both professional and personal needs of the campus community – from teaching effective time management, to promoting understanding of legislation that informs campus policies. Additionally, a workshop aimed at leveraging OSU research for professional development is in the works, with details coming soon.

OSU Graduate School Postdoctoral Program

The Postdoctoral program at OSU offers a full-time program of advanced academic preparation and research training under the guidance of a faculty mentor.

OSU Women's Network

OWN is an organization for female personnel at OSU. It is designed to gather and serve women from all areas of the University, including classified staff, professional faculty, teaching faculty and research and extension faculty/staff.

OSU Women’s Center

The OSU Women’s Center is dedicated to providing meaningful, inclusive programs, mentoring and networking opportunities, and offers an extensive library and welcoming space.

Office of Equity and Conclusion

The Office of Equity and Inclusion is committed to success for the entire university community through equality, fairness, and understanding.


Connect with your Community

 Crossroads International

Crossroads is a group of volunteers from the community that help enrich the experience of international students and build a bridge between people in the community and international students and scholars at Oregon State University, and their families.

Corvallis Multicultural Literacy Center

The CMLC is a volunteer-run organization dedicated to providing a place where people of all cultures can come together in a “living room for learning,” where all people can be teachers and learners; where sharing cultures and expanding literacy enables everyone to take part in the community


Health Resources

 Employee Assistance Program (EAP)

Cascade is pleased to provide EAP services, through professional counselors who listen to you, help you sort things out and then work with you on a plan to set things straight, either over the phone or through in-person visits.

Counseling and Psychological Services (CaPS), for OSU students only

Counseling and Psychological Services provides counseling, consultation, outreach and education to OSU students, faculty, and staff. We do this in order to facilitate student’s academic success, mental health, and personal development and promote a culture of positive mental health at OSU.

Oregon Public Employees’ Benefit Board

PEBB designs, contracts and administers medical, dental, life, accident, disability and long-term care insurance, and flexible spending accounts for state employees and their dependents.

Office of Human Resources: Employee Benefits

The office of Human Resources assists in coordinating and managing public employees’ benefits (PEBB), worker's compensation and retirement benefits for OSU employees.

OSU Be Well

By emphasizing a culture of well-being, OSU Be Well supports individuals and the community in adopting and maintaining healthy behaviors that will improve quality of life. The aim is to make sustainable changes to the fabric of OSU that will result in a healthier community.

Faculty Staff Fitness Program

With a goal of providing accessible and enjoyable fitness for faculty and staff, the FSF Program averages 30-40 classes serving over 800 faculty/staff, GTA's/GRA's, spouses/partners, and retirees of the university each term. No membership fees are collected; a modest class fee is all that is charged. Consider it a fringe benefit of your employment at the university!

Dixon Recreation Center

Dixon Recreation Center is one of the main social hubs of activity on campus,  with facilities for all types of activities – from a 42ft tall climbing wall and several sand volleyball courts, to cardio rooms and multi-purpose gym facilities. Visit the website for membership information.

Beaver strides

Whether you are just getting started on improving your physical fitness or are an active fitness walker; Beaver Strides has a program for you! All OSU students, faculty and staff are invited to participate in a variety of programs for encouraging fitness walking, socially or individually – including group walks over the lunch hour.


Funding Opportunities

 Grant Forward

Grant Forward is an online grant search service aimed at increasing the coverage of grant opportunities by providing a resource to researchers seeking new opportunities.

OSU Office of Sponsored Programs

The Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) is responsible for proposal submission for sponsored research, scholarship, instructional and other activities at Oregon State University, and research compliance as it relates to sponsored activities. Functions include proposal review, monitoring institutional compliance with terms and conditions, official institutional signatory, policy and procedure development, training, compliance activities related to research administration, and general funding opportunity assistance.

OSU Professional Faculty/Instructor Development Funds

Professional Faculty/Instructor development funds are given to members of the faculty of OSU to enable the recipients of such funds to keep current in their professional fields and improve upon their abilities within the academic field.

Volunteer Opportunities

Volunteer opportunities are a great way to connect with others, as well as participate in meaningful activities catering to particular interests and skills – not to mention have fun doing something good for the community.  LBCC offers a comprehensive list of organizations dedicated to serving others in a wide variety of fields.


National Resources

 Office of Women in Higher Education

The American Council on Education’s Office of Women in Higher Education (OWHE) provides the national direction for women’s leadership development and career advancement.

Higher Education Resource Services

Higher Education Resource Services (HERS) provides leadership and management development for women in higher education management.

National Postdoctoral Association

Providing a national voice and seeking positive change for postdoctoral scholars.


International Resources

 Institute of International Education: Women’s Leadership Initiative

IIE includes the Center for Women’s Leadership Initiative, which provides opportunities for women worldwide to participate in cutting-edge training, professional development and exchange programs and pursue higher education. Through the WLI programs, women develop and join networks of peers, mentors and experts and serve as effective leaders in the public and private sectors around the world.

Professional Development

Oregon State University provides a variety of professional development opportunities throughout the year.

Professional Faculty Leadership Association

PFLA is the Professional Faculty Leadership Association, an organization for Oregon State University, that is concerned about professional faculty issues, is committed to improving our profession, and capturing the skills, enthusiasm, and vision of its members throughout the university.

Center for Teaching and Learning

Enhancing the OSU teaching and learning environment by modeling, communicating, and advocating for the application of research-based pedagogical practices. Offers events, funding, faculty showcase, and other resources.

OSU Faculty Library Instruction

Provides library instruction, assistance with data management, and workshops to develop academic skills. The full library workshops for graduate students and faculty list past and current offerings as well as guides and handouts.

OSU Today

Today in the News Media is a synopsis of some of the most prominent coverage of OSU people and programs. News includes upcoming professional development activities and events.

Technology Across the Curriculum (TAC)

TAC's mission is to help faculty and staff succeed at improving educational quality. TAC offers webinars, workshops, and resources.

Writing Intensive Curriculum Program

Offers faculty resources, events, and seminars related to the Writing Intensice Curriculum Program.

Academic Success Center and Resources

Academic resources and programs students and scholars can learn from.

Extension Service Scholars

Oregon State University has scholars at all the different Oregon State University Extension Service locations (website) around Oregon. Scholars at these locations can use the following links to search for resources in their area. View a map of locations (pdf).

extension services map


Oregon State University Extension Service Information

The Oregon State University Extension Service celebrates over 100 years of educational outreach. From the beginning, OSU Extension's mission has been to convey research-based knowledge in a way that is useful for people to improve their lives, their homes, and their communities.

Current Scholar Orientation Information

Orientation information geared toward international scholars on the OSU Corvallis campus but can be applicable to scholars in different cities in Oregon.

Driving in Oregon

Link to the Oregon Department of Motor Vehicle's website.  Learn about driver license requirements.

Google Maps

Get maps, driving, walking, or public transportation options if you need to get somewhere.


Free information about more than 7,000 health, community, and social services. Search for resources depending on the Oregon county.

Search for businesses and services in your area/city.

Frequently Asked Questions

Below are frequently asked questions that new international scholars and faculty to Oregon State University usually ask. Please review the questions below and the other information on the International Scholar and Faculty Services orientation website. The fastest way to get an answer to a question you cannot find is to send us an email.


How do I get an Oregon State University Identification Card?

The OSU ID Card is the official identification card for students, faculty, and staff. It functions as a meal card, library card, access card, and more.


How do I get a Campus Tour?

Campus tours are offered daily for new students, scholars, and visitors to become familiar with the OSU campus.

  • The Campus Visitor Program, 108 Kerr Administration Building
  • 90 minute guided walking tours are Monday to Friday, at 9am, 11am, 1pm and 3pm.
  • No appointment necessary!


How do I access the OSU Library?

The Valley Library, located in the heart of campus, offers computers, study space, resources and materials to meet your needs.

  • Library’s School Term Hours:
    • Monday through Friday: Open 24 hours
    • Saturday: 10am-10pm
    • Sunday: Opens at 10am, no closing hours
    • *These hours can change on holidays or other special dates
    • *Bring your OSU ID to use the library, especially from 12am-7am
    • Computer Help Desk
    • Reference and Circulation
    • Trained staff to help with questions
    • Multimedia Services
    • Computers, printers, and copiers
    • Equipment loan
    • Public use computers and internet


How do I access Dixon Recreation Center and gym?

Dixon Recreation Center is the on-campus recreation center which supports the OSU community’s physical activity and wellness needs.

  • To Sign Up (scholars and families are eligible):
  • Access
    • Bike Shop, Climbing Wall, Courts, Café, Locker Rooms, Childcare, Pool, Indoor Track
    • Weights, Equipment, Rental, Classrooms, Conference Rooms, And more!


Can I rent sports or recreation equipment on campus?

Located at the east entry to Dixon Recreation Center, the Adventure Leadership Institute™ offers equipment rental for:

  • Backpacking and Camping,
  • Mountaineering,
  • Rafting,
  • Canoeing,
  • Rock or Ice Climbing,
  • Bouldering,
  • Bike Repair & Loan Program,
  • Ski or Snowboard Rental,
  • And Other Rental


Are there fitness classes for faculty and staff only?

The Faculty Staff Fitness (FSF) program, run by The College of Public Health and Human Sciences, provides over 30-40 classes each term for faculty, spouses, partners and OSU community members.

  • To Sign Up:
    • or 541-737-3220
    • Classes Include:
      • Aerobics, Swimming, Kickboxing, Pilates, Yoga, Weight Training, Dancing: Salsa, Bollywood, Swing, Zumba, Sport conditioning (several types), Golf, Tennis, And many more!


How do I get connected with social activities and programs on or around campus?


Where can I share about my culture and country?

The Corvallis Multicultural Literacy Center, 128 SW 9th Street in Corvallis: events, groups and resources for people from all countries and cultures – including families with children!

Open Monday to Friday 10 am - 5 pm and Saturdays by appointment. 541-754-7225

  • Knitting Classes, Gardening, International Food, Language Tutoring, Local Resource Guide
  • Cultural Events, Connections for Translating


Where can I get connected with a group that enjoys interacting with international people?

Crossroads International is a group of volunteers from the community that help enrich the experience of international students and scholars.

  • Conversation School for Women, Friendship Groups , Activities, Networking, Field Trips and Outings, Guest Speakers, Child Care

Contact: Sandy Riverman at, 541-740-8801 or


Where can I learn or practice English?

There are many English language learning opportunities for scholars, students, and dependents in the Corvallis area.


Where is the Corvallis Library?

Corvallis Benton Country Public Libraries

645 NW Monroe Ave
Corvallis OR 97330

Monday - Thursday 10 am - 8 pm

Friday - Saturday 10 am - 6 pm

Sunday closed

  • Free membership, Books and Audio Books E Books, Movies/DVDs, Music, Programs and Events, And More!


What is there to explore in Oregon State?

How do I get around Corvallis and America?

Bus System:

HUT Shuttle to Airport:


Greyhound Bus:


How do I set up my ONID computer account?:


How do I print my I-94 card?:

The following information is required to retrieve your Admission (I-94) number which shows your arrival in the United States. Enter the information as it appears on the travel documents you used to enter the United States. You may need this card at the Social Security Office, and Department of Motor Vehicle.

  • Name, Birth Date, Passport Number, Country, Most Recent Date of Entry, Class of Admission


Department of Motor Vehicles:

Get a driver’s license or Oregon Identification document here.

Corvallis DMV
870 NE Circle Blvd

Corvallis, OR 97330