Using Financial Aid
No matter what your financial background, you can access federal financial aid, and take it with you on an OSU-approved experience abroad (ie. any program found on our website, including IE3 Global Internships). You may have to pay it back, but at least you know you can get funding. Financial aid is a reasonable resource. Here’s how it works:
- You file a FAFSA.
- Your overall cost of attendance is updated to reflect the total education abroad program cost (i.e. compared with regular OSU cost of attendance).
- OSU's Financial Aid office will re-evaluate your package, based on that updated cost.
- You will be notified by OSU Financial Aid office by e-mail that your aid package has been adjusted.
- You will need to log into OSU online services and review your award letter.
- You must either accept (fully or partially) or decline various options in order to access those extra fundings. See the tutorial video on how to accept/decline those options.
- If you have any questions regarding these aid options, contact OSU Financial Aid office.
Most likely more loans, including Parent PLUS, may be made available. Please see the Financial Aid website for more information.
Remember that you can always turn money down, but if you never apply, you’ll never know your options!
Also think about your reasons for wanting to study abroad. How enthusiastic are you to make that happen?