Travel Outside the U.S.


If you are planning to travel outside the U.S. please remember to do the following before you leave the U.S.:

Determine if you will need to get a visa for countries other than your own
Contact the nearest consulate or embassy of each country that you wish to visit. This process may take several months, so inquire early. Embassies of Other Nations in the U.S. (scroll down)

Obtain a travel signature from an International Student Advisor
Submit your I-20 (F-1's) or DS-2019 (J-1's) to International Student Advising and Services (ISAS) at least seven (7) working days before your departure. If you have been maintaining your visa status and owe less than $2,200 to OSU, you will receive a travel signature.  You must have a valid travel signature to re-enter the U.S. Travel signatures are valid for up to one year or until the program end date listed on the I-20 or DS-2019.

Travel to Canada
Based on your country of citizenship, you may or may not be required to secure a visa for a short-term visit to Canada. To get current information on Canadian visas, please visit the following Canadian Consulate website or contact the Canadian Consulate General in Seattle at 206-443-1372. The website includes a list of countries requiring a visa along with fillable visa application forms, and instructions for applying for a visa by mail or in person.  Be sure to allow several weeks if you are applying by mail.

Automatic Extension of Validity of Visa Status
If you will travel to Canada, Mexico or the adjacent Caribbean Islands other than Cuba for 30 days or less, you may be eligible for automatic extension of visa. In other words, you may re-enter the U.S. without a valid U.S. visa stamp in your passport. This benefit also applies to individuals who have changed non-immigrant status in the U.S. and whose visa is still in the category in which they entered the U.S. (the visa is considered "converted" as well as "extended"). Nationals of Iran, Cuba, Sudan, Syria, and North Korea are not eligible for automatic extension of validity of visa.To be eligible for the automatic extension of validity of visa provision, you will need to have maintained and intend to resume your nonimmigrant status, and you must have the following documents:

  • The original I-94 arrival/departure card that you received upon your last entry to the U.S.
  • A valid I-20 or DS-2019 with a travel signature from an international student advisor (less than one year old).
  • A valid passport

Note: If you choose to apply for a visa renewal while visiting a neighboring country, and are denied, you will not be eligible for the automatic revalidation benefit, but may need to apply again from your home country.

For more information on traveling and the Travel Signature Request Form, visit our Forms page.

Security Clearances & Visa Delays
Be aware if you are in a research field that may be considered of US national security interest you may face serious delays receiving a visa while a background check is being conducted. It is impossible to predict how long a background check might take (one week to 6 months), and it is not possible for any agency to intervene to expedite the background check. Learn more about Security Clearances and how to help prevent visa delays here.