Dependents in the U.S.

Students on an F-1 or J-1 visa may request to bring their spouse and/or children to the U.S. on a dependent visa, known as an F-2 or J-2 visa. Note: Dependents who plan to visit you for a short period (6 months or less) and engage only in tourist activities may apply for a B-2 tourist visa.

Documentation of Financial Support

To bring a spouse and/or children to Corvallis, you must provide documentation of your financial ability to support them for the duration of their stay. A bank statement or other proof of support must be presented to International Student Advising and Services (ISAS) before a Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019) can be issued. For the 2013-2014 academic year, your financial statement must document that you have a minimum of about $9,000 for the support of a spouse or child and $4,000 for each additional dependent. This funding is in addition to funds used for your own expenses.

Additional information can be found on our Forms page for bringing dependents to the U.S.

Health and Accident Insurance

The State of Oregon requires all international students and their dependents to carry health and accident insurance throughout their stay in the United States. In addition, federal regulations require health insurance for J-1 students and their dependents. Students with dependents are responsible for enrolling them in a health insurance plan. For information regarding OSU health insurance options, contact the OSU Student Health Insurance Liaison in 328 Plageman Hall (541-737-7568).

Cost of Medical Care

OSU's Student Health Services is available to enrolled students only. Dependents will need to seek health care in the community. A typical office visit may cost $80-$150 dollars if not covered by insurance. The average cost for a hospital stay (not including medical supplies, surgery, nursing care, medication, etc.) is about $400 per day. An unexpected illness or accident can cost thousands of dollars. Good health insurance coverage is therefore essential.

Registering for Classes

Dependents on an F-2 visa are NOT allowed to study either part-time or full-time in a degree-seeking program during their stay in the U.S. unless the study is strictly recreational or avocational in nature (e.g. a dance class). If an F-2 dependent wishes to pursue a degree, he or she must first apply for and obtain F-1 status.


Dependents on an F-2 visa are NOT allowed to work at any time during their stay in the U.S. Dependents on a J-2 visa are eligible to apply for employment authorization from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) as long as the employment is not for the purpose of supporting the J-1 student. Please see an international student advisor for more information or view the J-2 Employment Authorization Application Instructions form online.

Primary and Secondary School Enrollment

To enroll your children in Corvallis Public Schools, you will need to obtain the following documents from your home country:

  • An official birth certificate, a signed hospital certificate, or a passport as valid proof of your child's birth date.
  • A physical examination for all children beginning school in the U.S. for the first time.
  • Official copies of the child's school records.
  • All immunization records with names and dates of vaccines received. Required immunization for all school-aged children are diphtheria, tetanus, measles, mumps, rubella, and polio. In addition, some children from outside the United States must be screened for active tuberculosis infection.

Crossroads Conversation School for Women

Crossroads International is a non-religious, non-political volunteer organization that oversees the Conversation School. The school offers beginning to advanced English classes which meet twice a week. The cost is minimal and limited childcare may be available for an additional cost. The school is not only a place to learn English, but also offers a social environment where women from all over the world can make friends and feel more at home in the community and culture. Further information and enrollment forms are available at 541-737-6310.


If you have questions about your immigration status, schedule an appointment with an international student advisor by contacting International Student Advising and Services (ISAS).