- Int'l Programs
- Int'l Degree & Education Abroad
- Int'l Student Advising & Services
- Int'l Scholar & Faculty Services
Procedures and Timeline for H-1B Extension Applications
- Hiring department contacts Jackie Bangs to verify that an H-1B is the appropriate visa category for applicant
- Hiring department and H-1B employee complete extension application and send it to ISFS
- ISFS conducts wage surveys
- ISFS contacts department with instructions for posting the Labor Condition Application and sends partial draft of department letter to USCIS
- Hiring department completes letter to USCIS and returns it to ISFS
- ISFS prepares I-129 petition for extension of H-1B status and submits USCIS
- USCIS sends receipt notice (I-797) to ISFS, which serves as evidence of continued work authorization for H-1B employee
- USCIS sends approval notice (I-797) to ISFS; department updates I-9
Premium (Expedited) Processing
Usually ONLY used when H-1B has time-sensitive travel needs outside the US. Departments wishing to expedite the receipt of the approval notice may choose to use Premium Processing (cost = $1,225 payable to the Department of Homeland Security), which shortens the entire processing time to approximately 2 months.
While a receipt notice from USCIS allows for continued employment at OSU, an approval notice is required for the employee to secure a new visa stamp (needed for re-entry into the US). Premium Processing may be useful for H-1B employees who need to travel outside the US while their extension petition is pending. Travel plans should be discussed with an ISFS advisor prior to departure from the US.