- Int'l Programs
- Int'l Degree & Education Abroad
- Int'l Student Advising & Services
- Int'l Scholar & Faculty Services
E-3 Specialty Occupation General Information
Departments wishing to hire an international employee should contact an International Faculty & Scholar Advisor at International Student & Faculty Services (ISFS) to determine which visa type best fits the position and employee. If ISFS determines that E-3 status is the most appropriate, the department should complete an E-3 Request Form (pdf) and submit it to ISFS.
It takes one to four months to secure E-3 status. A representative from the employing department at OSU should contact Jackie Bangs as soon as possible if E-3 status is being considered for employing an international employee.
E-3 visas allow employers to temporarily employ an Australian worker in the U.S. on a nonimmigrant basis in a specialty occupation. A specialty occupation requires the theoretical and practical application of a body of specialized knowledge and a bachelor's degree or the equivalent in the specific specialty (e.g., sciences, medicine and health care, education, biotechnology, and business specialties, etc...).
E-3 status allows employment of an international employee who has professional skills and a professional degree. To be eligible for E-3 status the following conditions must be met:
- Must be a "specialty" occupation requiring "theoretical and practical application of a body of knowledge in professional fields and at least the attainment of a bachelor's degree or its equivalent.
- Must agree to pay, throughout the entire duration of employment, the higher of either the wage for similarly employed workers at OSU or the wage for similarly employed workers in the State of Oregon (as determined by the Department of Labor).
- Must possess the degree specified
- Must be an Australian national
- Must possess " highly specialized knowledge and attain[ed]... a bachelor's or higher degree in the specific specialty" of the position.
There are two methods for applying for E-3 status.
1. OSU applies to USCIS for a change of status from within the US.
- ISFS prepares prevailing wage, Labor Condition Application and petition to USCIS.
- Minimum processing time = 4 months
2. Applicant applies for E-3 visa at US Consulate
- ISFS prepares prevailing wage, Labor Condition Application.
- Minimum processing time = 2 months
Please refer to the E-3 application for additional information.