Information for When You Arrive in Oregon
Welcome to the United States! This page has information for scholars first arriving in the United States and transportation options for getting to your final destination in Oregon.
Making Travel Plans
Important things to remember when booking your incoming flight to the US:
- Book your flight after your US visa is confirmed.
- J visa holders may not enter the US more than 30 days prior to the program start date listed on their DS-2019 (Box #3).
- The nearest airports to the Corvallis campus are Portland International Airport (PDX) and Eugene Airport (EUG).
- The Portland Airport is a large international airport with many international flights and is approximately 1.5 hours from Corvallis.
- The Eugene Airport is a small airport with only a few domestic flights available and is approximately 1 hour from Corvallis. From either airport, you can arrange transportation to Corvallis.
- If you are located at an Extension Service location which is not on the Corvallis campus, contact your sponsor for information about the closest airport and transportation options.
- Inform the ISFS office and your sponsor of your arrival and schedule your attendance for the mandatory check-in and orientation meeting. Scholars not on the Corvallis campus may check-in remotely.
- If you cannot attend by the Program Start Date on your DS-2019, contact ISFS immediately.
- Some programs are not located on the Corvallis campus but may be in other locations in Oregon at OSU extension locations. Check with your sponsor on location and remote check-in process.
Important things to remember when booking your return flight out of the US:
- J visa holders have a 30 day grace period following the Program End Date on the DS-2019 or the completion of the program (whichever comes sooner) to prepare to depart the US.
- After the J-1 scholar's program has completed and the scholars leaves the US during the grace period, scholars will not be able to reenter the US on an expired DS-2019 or J visa. If you plan to travel in and out of America following your J program you may need to apply for a visitor visa or Visa Waiver Program in order to reenter the US.
- J-2 dependents may not stay in the US after the primary J-1 scholar departs.
Getting to OSU
You will need to arrange transportation to Corvallis.
To get to and from the Portland Airport
- Hut Shuttle (from Portland): The Hut Shuttle is a comfortable, convenient way of getting to and from PDX. This shuttle bus leaves Corvallis almost every two hours, every day of the week.
- Omni Shuttle (from Eugene): The Omni Shuttle will transport you from the Eugene airport to Corvallis.
- Taxi: You may take a taxi cab from the airport but it may be expensive.
- Car Rental: Most rental companies allow visitors to rent a car at the Portland or Eugene Airport and return the car to their office in Corvallis. Reservations can be made online with a credit card and a valid driver’s license (see the “transportation” section for more information about driver’s licenses). You will also be required to purchase temporary auto insurance at the car rental agency. Rental companies at the Portland Airport. Rental companies at the Eugene Airport.
- Bus or Train: Greyhound bus and Amtrack train also has service from the airport but you may have to take the light rail system (MAX) or the public bus system (TriMet) from Portland, or shuttle or taxi from the Eugene Airport to the bus or train station.
U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP)
: CBP is part of the Department of Homeland Security and is responsible for securing the border and facilitating lawful international trade, travel, and U.S. laws and regulations- including immigration.