LAS CASAS AND OTHER THINGS
Here are some questions about the reading from Las Casas:
- What is Aristotle's theory of natural slavery?
- What are the different kinds of barbarians which Las Casas'
- Are there meanings of 'civilized' which correspomnd to these
kinds of barbarians?
- What is Las Casas' argument to show that the Aristotelian
theory of natural slavery does not apply to the native peoples of
- Reading the account which Las Casas gives of Spanish
attrocities in the new world, think about what the interaction
between the Spaniards and the native peoples would have been if
the Spaniards had believed in the "prime directive" of Star Trek
and the Enterprise?