- Go through the Overview section of the unit.
- Go through the Background section of the unit.
- Read Travels of Equiano. Read Chapters 4 and 16 of Locke's Second Treatise
- Read the Commentary section and reread the relevant pages of the Second Treatise of Civil Government.
- Do activities associated with reading Chapters 4 and 16 in Locke's Second Treatise and in the corresponding part of the Commentary section of the unit on Locke's theory of slavery.
- Read the section on Maxims from book IV of the An Essay Concerning Human Understanding.
- Do the Activity: "Locke and the Blackamoor" This is a 1- 2 page essay.
- Do the Activity section: "Equiano and the Judge" This is to apply Locke's account of legitimate slavery to the case of Afro-American slavery. (This means the argument developed in the preceding unit is being applied here, thus connecting the two units.) You will work in pairs to do this.
- Go on to the Unit on Berkeley -- Unit 11.