Locke 1: Overview
UNIT 8: LOCKE: SCIENCE, MORALITY AND KNOWLEDGE
Start Date: May 3
- Go through the Background section of the unit.
- Read Chapters 1-12 and 22 and 23 of Book II of An Essay
Concerning Human Understanding. You will find this in our book
The Empiricists This edition is quite abridged. It does not, for
example, include Book I of the Essay. So, when you open the book,
which starts with Locke (and then has works by Berkeley and Hume in it)
you will be beginning at just the right place. We also have a version of
the Essay on line.
- Read the Commentary section on these pages and then reread the relevant pages of the Essay
- Read Chapters 1-4 and 9 of Book IV of the Essay.
- Read the Commentary section on this section and reread the relevant pages of the Essay.
- Do the quiz which is the Activity for this unit.
- Go on to the second Unit on Locke -- Unit 9.