ME480/580: Materials Selection
Oregon State University
Fall Term 2014
Dr. W. H. Warnes
INDEX TO IMAGES
- A: Icarus relied on inappropriate materials for his design
with unpleasant consequences.
- B: Silicon carbide fibers in a titanium matrix composite.
[Modified from an image by James Baughman, NASA Langley, in
Advanced Materials and Processes, February 1997]
- C: The background is a materials selection chart as developed
by M. F. Ashby and will be used in this course for optimization of
- D: Modern vacuum systems incorporate a wide range of materials
chosen for specific design concerns.
- E: The materials that make up a common water spigot can also
profit from optimization in the selection process.
Last updated January 2, 2014
End of File