The second test will be on Thursday, March 16 at 2:00 in our room.
It will cover everything we have discussed/studied/read since the first exam. There will be three parts:
- Short answer (15 pts.). You must respond in German with one sentence or a few words. (If you absolutely cannot respond in German, write an answer in English!) This will ask specific pieces of information from the following sources. You must MEMORIZE things for this section!
- Historischer Hintergrund 4
- The biography of Keller--this means dates of birth and death, where he was born and died, and anything in his life that was influential in his writing, for example what, where, and under whom he studied.
- Vocabulary. (10 pts.) The words you must know are listed at the end of this page. You will have fill in the blank sentences (with a list of the words printed on the page) or translations of individual words from English into German.
- Essays (75 pts.; in English). Below are three essay topics. Of these topics, I will choose one or two for the test. You may prepare the topics in advance, but you may not bring notes to class. Your essays must be both informative and interpretative.
N.B.: BE SURE you prepare ENOUGH; on the test, you must write enough to show me what you have learned!
- Realism: Discuss Kleider machen Leute in relation to Realism. Be sure to discuss what Realism was/is, then to what extent this story can be seen as an example of it. You must give EXACT examples from the text to back up your arguments!
- Nettchen and Wenzel: Describe and analyze both characters. What kind of people are they? How do they change during the story? What roles to they play in their society? What in their past influenced their personalities? Anything else that is important! Again, be sure to give exact examples from the text to back up your thoughts!
- Discuss and analyze Keller's use of EITHER Schein und Sein or Schicksal und Zufall in Kleider machen Leute. Again, be sure to give exact examples from the text to back up your thoughts!
If you have any questions, zap me a message