Films about Bali
- Bateson and Mead Film: Trance and Dance in Bali (1952)
- Orsen Welles narrating the film: The 11 Powers Festival (1980)
- National Geographic: Bali: Masterpiece of the Gods (1990)
- Ira R. Abrams and Stephen Lansing: The Three Worlds of Bali (1981)
- J. Stephen Lansing Book: The Balinese (1995)
Nature of Balinese culture from Lansing
Cycles in Balinese culture
Art in Balinese culture
Religion and ecology in Balinese agriculture
Change in Bali from ancient times to colonialism to tourism
Balinese time periods
|2660 BP||evidence of rice growing|
|1000 BP||irrigation and the Balinese state|
|1840s||Dutch begin colonization|
|1906||Dutch massacre Balinese|
|1970s||Green Revolution & tourism|
|1979||Eka Dasa Rudra (also 1963)|
Study Questions from Lansing
- How does Lansing recommend that one study another culture?
- What is the significance of Eka Dasa Rudra?
- Where did the Balinese ancestors come from and when?
- When did Bali become a state society? What were the Balinese before
becoming a state society?
- Does the history of Balinese culture fit the theory of how societies
change through processes of evolution?
- What is the role of cycles in Balinese culture?
- What are the stages of the Balinese life cycle. According to
Lansing, when does the life cycle begin?
- What are the principles of Balinese kinship?
- What do Rangda and Barong represent?
- What was the major source of funding for Balinese arts? What is the
major source of funding now?
- What is the role of the arts (music, dance, literature, poetry,
painting, carving, etc.) in Balinese culture?
- What is the role of trance in Balinese culture?
- How did Indianization reach Bali?
- What happened when the Green Revolution was introduced into Bali?
- What do computer models tell us about the ecological wisdom of
Balinese culture? What is the relation between the Balinese water
temple system and agricultural associations (subaks)?
- What is the Balinese ethnohistorical and the Dutch historical
explanation for the role of opium in the downfall of Balinese kings
in the early 1900s?
- What was the Dutch colonial administrators' approach to governing
- After World War II, what industry was to lead economic development in
Bali? What is the relation between the people brought by this
industry and the people of Bali?
- How is the banjar system (Balinese neighborhoods) useful in Balinese
Role of Balinese Art
Art includes music, theater, poetry, literature, crafts, sculpture,
dance, writing, puppetry, weaving, food presentation, painting,
performance. It serves
- as entertainment
- as a news source
- to connect the middle world with the other worlds, cannot know the
middle world directly
- as a school room
Balinese Caste System
The cast system in Bali came from India and has the four Varna. The
Balinese never adopted the untouchable category.
- Brahmans: priests
and holy men
- Ksatriyas: princes and kings
- Vaisyas: merchant princes and lesser nobility
- Sudras: farmers, craftsmen, and ordinary people
Eka Dasa Rudra
- changes bad gods, Rudra, into good, Siva
- artistic offerings entice the deamons to come out of the lower world
- the goal of the art is prefection
How has Bali changed?
Updated:Thursday, 24-Apr-1997 22:14:04 PDT
Court Smith, Oregon