- Safety and Security
- Network and Phone
- Mobile Devices
Windows XP Updates
ALERT - Dangerous computer malware
CryptoLocker is dangerous, malicious computer software that encrypts your data files (word, powerpoint, pictures, music, videos, etc.). The nefarious individuals then hold your data for ransom and try to extort money from you.
Learn more about this risk and how to protect yourself here - http://oregonstate.edu/helpdocs/safety-and-security/computer-viruses-fraud/computer-viruses/cryptolocker-dangerous-ransomware
Update for Windows XP
Microsoft periodically releases security patches for Windows operating systems. Downloading and installing these updates will help protect your computer from viruses and threats.
Installing Critical Updates
1. Open Internet Explorer » Go to windowsupdate.microsoft.com.
If a "Security Warning" or a prompt to install software appears, confirm it is from Microsoft, and then click "Yes."
2. Click the button titled Express.
3. Wait briefly while the site scans your computer to see what updates are needed.
4. At the next screen, click the Install Updates button.
5. Any needed high-priority updates will be downloaded and installed. If you are prompted to restart after the updates have been installed, do so.