- Safety and Security
- Network and Phone
- Mobile Devices
How do I transfer files from Dropbox to Google Apps for OSU and share them with others?
People may want to move files from a free Dropbox account (5 GB) to their Google Apps for OSU account, which provides 30 GB for files uploaded to Google Drive or Google Mail.
Take the following steps to transfer files from Dropbox to your Google Drive.
- Download the file(s) from Dropbox to your computer. Instructions for this step can be found under the section for "Force a file or folder to download" at https://www.dropbox.com/help/201/en.
- Go to https://drive.google.com/a/onid.oregonstate.edu and login with your ONID username and password.
- Navigate to the folder where you want to upload the file(s). Remember that if you're uploading to a shared folder, the item you upload will inherit the same sharing permissions as other files in that folder.
- In the Google Drive interface, click the Upload button and select "Files…"
- Click the Start Upload (or Upload and Share) button to transfer the file to your Google Drive.
- When the "Upload Complete" message appears, you may close that dialog box by clicking on the X.
- Select the file by clicking on the checkbox.
- The dynamic toolbox appears. Click on the Share button.
- In the Add People box, enter names, email addresses, or group names.
- For now, you may select "Can Edit" or "Can Comment" or "Can View."
- Click Done.
- If you want to transfer ownership of the file, complete steps 7 and 8 above, then change access rights by changing "Can Edit" (or other permission type ) to "Is Owner."
- Click Done.