What is Google Mail for OSU?
Google Mail is an online service that allows you to send and receive email, instant message, and even video chat with your friends and colleagues.
For a list of features and Google provided walkthroughs of Google Mail you can visit the Google Mail support page.
How do I access Google Mail for OSU?
You will be able to access Google Mail by going to the Google Apps for OSU login portal. If you are already logged in to Google Apps for OSU but are using a different app, you may click Mail at the top of any Google Apps for OSU page.
- Click the Compose button on the left side of your Mail page.
- Type your recipient's email address in the To field.
- As you type a recipient’s address, Mail will suggest addresses from your Contacts list using auto-complete.
- Once you've entered a contact in the To field, hover over the contact’s name to see the email address and other information associated with it. Double-click a contact’s name to edit the email address or name.
- We suggest using the carbon copy feature when you'd like to include additional recipients whose responses are welcome but not required. Display this field by clicking Cc. The blind carbon copy field (click Bcc to display) lets you hide recipients' addresses and names from one another.
- Enter a subject for your message in the Subject field.
- Write your message! Just click in the large field below the subject line and type away.
- When you're done composing, click the Send button at the bottom of your compose window.
Reply to Messages
To reply to a message:
- Click in the box below the message and type away
- Or, you can click the arrow icon in the top right corner of the message you received
If there are multiple recipients of the message and you want to respond to all of them:
- Click Reply to all in the box below the message and begin typing
- Or click the down arrow next to the Reply button and select Reply to all
If you'd like Reply to all to be your default option:
- Click the gear icon and choose Settings
- Locate the Default reply behavior setting to change the option.
- Click Save Changes at the bottom of the page. You can still choose to reply to just one person in each message, but Reply to all will be the first option.
When you reply, the previous text from the rest of the conversation can be seen by clicking the Show trimmed content icon.
To forward an individual message:
- Open the appropriate conversation and select the message you want to forward.
- Click the Forward link in the box below the message.
- Enter the email address(es) to which the email should be forwarded, and add any additional text you want in the message field. If the message has attachments, you can choose not to forward them by scrolling to the bottom of the message text and clicking the x where the attachment is listed.
- Click Send.
To forward an entire conversation:
- Open the appropriate conversation.
- Click on the More button in the toolbar above your messages and select Forward all
Forwarding an entire conversation will add all messages from a conversation into a single message. Each message will be clearly marked and listed in chronological order, from oldest to most recent.
As you write a message, Gmail automatically saves a draft of it. This way, you can always step away from your inbox and finish a message later.
If you want to find a draft of a message you were in the middle of writing:
- Click Drafts along the left side of any Gmail page
- Or go to the Labels tab in your Settings, then click the show link next to the Drafts label
If you no longer need your draft, just click the Discard draft icon at the bottom of your compose window icon.
You can also discard any old drafts by clicking your Drafts label, checking the box next to the messages you'd like to delete, and clicking Discard drafts near the top of the page. Your draft will be permanently removed.
If you didn't find the answer to your question here, please visit our FAQs page.
Hide Tabs in Google Mail
Have you recently missed email messages from friends, teachers, or advisors? We can help! Google shows a tabbed interface by default in Google Mail, but individuals have the ability to customize this configuration and ensure that messages show up where you expect them to be.
To ensure that you don't miss any messages, you may use the instructions on this page to:
- Disable all tabs in Google Mail and have just one Inbox
- Hide just one tab in your Google Mail
- Re-enable any tab you have previously hidden
If you wish to use the tabs in Google Mail, here's a reference for learning how to use mail tabs effectively.
How to hide (or show) tabs in Google Mail
- Open Google Mail in Google Apps for OSU.
- Click the gear icon in the upper right, then select Configure inbox.
- Uncheck the boxes of the tabs you do not want to see or check the boxes of the tabs that you do you want to see.
- Click Save.