Android ONID Setup
If you would like to get your ONID email on your Android device, please follow the instructions below. Your directions may vary as different manufacturers have different Android OS builds.
Depending on your device manufacturer (HTC, Motorola, etc.), you may need either a valid Wi-Fi signal or a data connection (4G, 3G, Edge, etc.) before you attempt to set up your account. You may wish to check with the hardware vendor to see which is required for setup.
- If you are on campusand need to establish a Wi-Fi connection, please note the following:
- You must register your mobile device with Maintain to connect to an OSU network.
- You can establish a secure, encrypted connection with the OSU_Secure network. This will protect you from hackers who might exploit an unencrypted connection. Click here for Wi-Fi setup instructions.
- Tap the email or Mail icon. This is located on your home screen or in your list of Programs.
- The next step depends on whether you already have another email account set up.
- If you do not have an email account set up, you will only need to choose a mail provider. Choose Other or Others.
- If you do already have an email account set up, you will need to select either Menu or Settingsto see Account options. You will then do the following:
- Tap New Account or Add Account (you may need to access the Menu again to see this button).
- If prompted, tap Email. If you don't see this option, go to the next step.
- Choose Other or Others from the list of email providers.
- The next step depends on whether you are asked to enter an email address or a username.
- If you are asked to enter an email address, enter your ONID email address (username(at)onid.oregonstate.edu)
- If you are asked to enter a Username, enter your ONID username only, without @onid.oregonstate.edu
- Enter your ONID password
- Tap Next
- For Account Type or Protocol, select IMAP.
- Make sure your username is entered correctly. Android often inserts your full email address, so you may need to delete "@onid.oregonstate.edu" if it appears in this field.
- Your password should already be entered.
- For IMAP server, enter: imap.onid.oregonstate.edu.
- Select SSL for security type
- Make sure the port number is set to 993.
- Tap Next.
At this point, the server verifies your account settings. If your account is verified, continue below. If your account is not verified, make sure the username and password are entered correctly. If there is a problem contacting the server, try changing the security type to TLS and change the port number to 143.
- For SMTP server, enter: mail.oregonstate.edu.
- Select SSL for security type.
- Make sure the port number is set to 465.
- Make sure Require Sign-in or Login required is checked, and that your username and password are entered in correctly.
- Tap Next.
If there is a problem contacting the server, try changing the security type to TLS and change the port number to 587.
- On the next screen you can set your preferences for this account. You can accept the defaults or make changes. You may be asked to enter your name so that people know who you are when you send them email.
- Tap Next or Finish Setup or Done, whichever applies.
You are done!
Your phone should now receive emails from your ONID account. If you are not getting email or if the above instructions are not working for you, please call the OSU Computer Helpdesk at (541) 737-3474 and we'll help you out.
Note: On some android phones, the default mail client sometimes doesn't work with ONID email. An alternative is to install K-9 Mail (Play Store Link) from the Android Marketplace and add an account using the same settings mentioned above.
- If possible make sure to verify you have a good internet connection prior to setting up your mail account. Go to your web browser and try to go to a different website then the one that loads by default.
- Try connecting to your account from the webmail version on your computer. (webmail.oregonstate.edu)
- Try removing and add your account again: (settings may differ depending on your phone and OS version)
- From the Home screen, go to the settings for your phone
- Tap Accounts & Sync
- Tap on the account you wish to remove
- Tap the menu icon and Remove account
- Follow the instructions above on how to add your email account again.
Built-in VPN for Android
A PDF instruction sheet is available here.
*Cisco VPN is available for Android 2.1 and above