Employees that would like to use a preferred name or nickname in ONID and the OSU Online Directory may make their request by completing the Name Change form on the OSCAR website.
- Check the Requested Action of Preferred name change only (your name as it should appear in the OSU directory)
- Fill out the first line, Your new name as it should appear in the OSU directory, and your OSU ID? number
- Print and sign the form
- Send it your HR representative(s) in your business center. If you do not know who to contact in your business center, use the Find My Business Center page to find the correct contact information
Note: for information on changing other directory details such as phone number or preferred email, please review the Online Directory Changes page or the HR Campus Directory Profile page.
The Office of the Registrar allows students to use a preferred first name other than a legal name by filing a biographical changes form, found here: Biographical Changes Form.
ONID Username Changes
ONID usernames are formed by using up to seven characters of the last name, one or more characters of their first name, and a number, if needed, to form a unique username . No other format is available.
ONID Usernames may be requested to be changed for the following reasons:
- Legal Name change due to marriage, divorce, etc. Legal name change must be processed by HR or the Registrar prior to the change in ONID.
- Well explained extenuating circumstances that are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. This includes cases of objectionable usernames.
You are not required to change your username when your legal name changes and it will not automatically change. You must request this change. If you would just like to change the name displayed in your Google mail, follow the instructions in this document. If you would like to change your exchange? email address (usually your firstname.lastname@example.org), contact your local help desk. These two changes do not require a username change.
Warning - Possible consequences of ONID username changes
Consider the following issues prior to changing your ONID username:
- Your ONID email address will change. Email sent to your old ONID email address will be bounced back to the sender. You will need to provide your contacts with your new email address. When you send ONID email, your new email address will appear in the FROM field.
- ONID services (ONID File Services, Personal Web Pages, ONID Web Database) can be changed while preserving your access. However, your Personal Web Page URL (http://people.oregonstate.edu/~username) will change, and shell scripts that contain your username or homedirectory path will need to be updated.
- Access to some services will be temporarily disrupted while waiting for the username to be updated across all systems. These services include, but are not limited to, Blackboard, Canvas, EmpCenter, and Office365. Most of these services will update to include your new username during the overnight hours.
- Documents you have shared via links from Office365 may be broken because they contain your username in the sharing URL. You will need to re-share those documents.
- Transaction/activity-tracking histories tied to your former username in applications may not transfer to your new username.
- If you use your ONID account to access Qualtrics, you may lose access to your Qualtrics surveys. You will need to contact the help desk to transfer them to your new ONID username and email address.
- Mobile devices and computers may need to be reconfigured to access email, Google Drive sync, OneDrive sync, local installs of Office ProPlus products, and other services.
- Access to other applications may not transfer automatically, and you will need to request access for your new username from the application support organization.
- If you have used your ONID Google account to login to non-OSU web sites, you may lose access to those web sites (your access may be based on your email address). OSU cannot assist in resolving access issues for services not directly affiliated with OSU.
- Previous ONID username ILL accounts are no longer accessible after a username change. You will need to create a new InterLibrary Loan (ILL) account. After your username change, contact the Library to merge your old and new ILL accounts.
- Unforeseen or less common consequences may occur.
If you still want to change your ONID username, please contact the OSU Computer Helpdesk.