404: Summer Academic Pay
Payroll Policy and Procedure Manual
Section 400: Payment of Unclassified Employees
- 404 Summer Academic Pay
- 404-01 Payment Process
- 404-02 Job and Labor Distribution Forms
- 404-03 Pay Methods - Default / Hourly Pay
- 404-04 Social Security Exemption
- 404-05 Accounting for Labor Charges
Summer Academic Pay
A non-instructional appointment for summer session. Includes appointments for nine-month OSU faculty members and other OUS institution faculty members. For detailed information refer to a Summer Appointment Guide (pdf format).
- After logging in on the Oregon State Central Administrative Resources (OSCAR) website, click on "Online Tasks" - "Hire Employee" - "Summer" and complete the appropriate online task.
- Enter monthly timecard data in PYAHOUR for hourly employees (UW e-class).
- Archive time sheets for hourly employees.
404-02a Job Form
- Use the Job Form to authorize pay for initial appointments, report changes of appointment %, and to report changes in contract length during the fiscal year.
- To obtain this form, log onto the Oregon State Central Administrative Resources (OSCAR) website, click on "Online Tasks" - "Hire Employee" - "Summer" and complete the appropriate online task.
- Job forms should be routed to OHR.
404-02b Labor Distribution Form
- Use the Labor Distribution Form to report changes to prior, current, or future distributions
- To obtain this form, log onto OSCAR, click on "Online Tasks" - "Payroll Changes" scroll to "Miscellaneous" - "Labor Distribution form" (excel format).
- Labor Distribution forms should be forwarded to OHR for new hires and sent directly to the Payroll Office for changes of labor distributions.
404-03a Default Pay
- Default pay is used for all monthly salaried academic appointments (UV e-class)
- Pay is issued for the period from the first of the month through the end of the month.
404-03b Hourly Pay
- Hourly pay is used for all hourly salaried academic appointments (UW e-class)
- Pay is issued for the period from the 16th of the prior month through the 15th of the current month.
- Pay is entered in PYAHOUR during time entry each month. Refer to the Payroll Calendar for specific dates.
- Refer to Unclassified/Faculty Earn Codes for the correct Earn Codes and Account Codes to use.
All academic employees are subject to Social Security and Medicare withholding unless they qualify for a non-resident alien exemption.
Labor is charged to specific indexes and account codes. Use of activity codes is the choice of the department.
- Must be an open index owned by the employing department.
- Must remain open through the last day of the month payment is issued to the employee.
404-05b Account Code
Refer to Unclassified/Faculty Earn Codes for account code information.
See PAY-Ex1: Unclassified Appointment Information Matrix.