403: Summer Session Appointment
Payroll Policy and Procedure Manual
Section 400: Payment of Unclassified Employees
- 403 Summer Session Appointment
- 403-01 Payment Process
- 403-02 Pay and Labor Distribution Authorization Forms
- 403-03 Pay Methods
- 403-04 Social Security Exemption
- 403-05 Accounting for Labor Charges
Summer Session Appointment
A teaching appointment for summer session. Includes appointments for nine-month OSU faculty members and other OUS institution faculty members; Graduate Teaching Assistants appointed as instructors; and new faculty appointments.
After logging in on the Oregon State Central Administrative Resources (OSCAR) website, click on "Online Tasks" - "Hire Employee" - "Summer" and complete the appropriate online task.
403-02a Job Form
- The Job Form is used to authorize pay for initial appointments, report changes of appointment %, and to report changes in contract length during the fiscal year.
- To obtain this form, log onto the Oregon State Central Administrative Resources (OSCAR) website, click on "Online Tasks" - "Hire Employee" - "Summer" and complete the appropriate online task.
- Job forms should be routed to OHR.
403-02b Labor Distribution Form
- The Labor Distribution Form is used to report changes to prior, current, or future distributions.
- To obtain this form, log onto OSCAR, click on "Online Tasks" - "Payroll Changes" scroll to "Miscellaneous" - "Labor Distribution form" (excel format).
- Labor Distribution forms should be forwarded to OHR for new hires and sent directly to the Payroll Office for changes of labor distributions.
403-03a Default Pay
- Default Pay is used for all monthly salaried academic appointments (UV e-class)
- Pay is issued for the period from the first of the month through the end of the month.
403-03b Hourly Pay
- Hourly Pay is used for all hourly salaried academic appointments (UW e-class)
- Pay is issued for the period from the 16th of the prior month through the 15th of the current month.
- Pay is entered in PYAHOUR during time entry each month. Refer to the Payroll Calendar for specific dates.
- Refer to Unclassified/Faculty Earn Codes for the correct Earn Codes and Account Codes to use.
All academic employees are subject to Social Security and Medicare withholding unless they qualify for a non-resident alien exemption.
Labor is charged to specific indexes and account codes. Use of activity codes is the choice of the department.
- Must be an open index owned by the employing department.
- Must remain open through the last day of the month payment is issued to the employee.
403-05b Account Code
Refer to Unclassified/Faculty Earn Codes for account code information.
See PAY-Ex1: Unclassified Appointment Information Matrix.