004-02: FAQ's For Departments
Payroll Policy and Procedure Manual
Section 000: Introductory Material
- What does an employee need to do to obtain staff tuition fee benefits? Answer
- An employee did not receive a check this payday. Where is their paycheck? Answer
- What is a manual check? Answer
- What are the BDCA codes on NYIEDST and NYIDIST? How can I tell what the BDCA codes are? Are these employer or employee charges? Answer
- What is the percentage for OPE? Answer
- If classified employees worked on a holiday, how are they compensated? Answer
- What happens when the holiday is on classified employee's regularly scheduled day off? Answer
- How is holiday time entered into PYAHOUR? Answer
- How do I pay overload earnings? Answer
- What is an ECLS? Where can I find E-Classes? Answer
- What is the relationship between all of the "Org" numbers associated with an employee? Answer
- What are the student job suffixes? Answer
- How do I know which suffix to use for graduate student positions? Answer
- How do I process a termination pay? Answer
- An employee is terminating or retiring and not returning to work. What paperwork is required? Answer
- If an employee is terminating, will they be paid for their vacation leave? Answer
- What are you supposed to do if you get "kicked out" of PYAHOUR? Answer
- What do I do if the index ZNOPAY or ZARPxx appears in PYAHOUR? Answer
- Can I adjust salaried employees’ pay (including grads) by adjusting their hours in PYAHOUR? Answer
- If a student is already on payroll, then receives Work Study funds, how do I set them up? Answer
- Where do I find the Work Study federal indexes? Answer
- What earn code do I use for prior month Work Study pay? Answer
- The Labor Distribution does not default both the department and Work Study indexes in PYAHOUR. What is wrong? Answer
Answers - FAQ's For Departments
First determine if pay was issued by checking Banner screen PYILIST.
- If the Seq. No is zero, verify Banner screen PYIVERI, Check/Earn ORG to see where the check or earnings statement was sent.
- If the sequence number is not zero and the event type is M, a manual check was processed. Verify if someone in the BC has picked up the checks from Central Payroll. Return
Manual checks are any checks not processed through the regular end of month payroll process. Manual checks are available Tuesday and Friday. They are also processed for Payday, and the first business day after Payday. Return
What are the BDCA codes on NYIEDST and NYIDIST? How can I tell what the BDCA codes are? Are these employer or employee charges?
The BDCA (benefit and deduction) codes display employer’s other payroll expenses (OPE) charged to departments. A description of these codes is available from the HRIS Website link, BDCA: Benefit & Deduction Codes. Earnings are also displayed on the NYIEDST and NYIDIST forms. See the Earn Code Tables on the Business Affairs website. Return
OPE (other payroll expenses) is the cost to a department for an employee in addition to wages. OPE is made up of both percentage (Social Security, etc.) and fixed amounts (Medical Insurance, etc.) For more information about OPE, refer to the Payroll Policies and Procedures Manual. Specific deduction rates are available on Banner screen NTRFRNG. This information is also available online on the Office of Budget and Fiscal Planning website. Return
The employees will receive regular pay at straight time and additional pay at time and a half or comp time hours at time and a half. Return
What happens when the holiday is on classified employee's regularly scheduled day off?
Enter the straight-time number of hours in PYAHOUR based on the employee's appointment percent for that day using the LEO earn code. On the time sheet in the REMARKS box, make a note of the entry, i.e. "holiday on (date) was on the regular day off, entered (_) hours of LEO." This will give the employee comp time at the straight-time rate for their irregular schedule to take at a later time. Return
Holiday pay is considered straight pay and does not need to be entered separately. Return
After the Overload has been approved, Business Center staff enter the earnings into PYAHOUR when it is open for the month. If this employee's job record is represented by a different BC, you will need to provide the pay information to the BC that enters the employees pay.
Overtime accrues for overtime-eligible employees who work in excess of 40 hours per week and is paid at time and a half. Return
It is possible for some students to earn overtime. Overtime is computed on hours worked over 40 per week. Non-international students who are not on Work Study programs or graduate appointments are eligible to work overtime between terms. Return
Each employee has one Home Org. The Home Org is visible on PYIVERI. When an employee has multiple jobs, the Home Org designates the org associated with the job that gives the employee the highest level of benefit or leave eligibility.
Each position has a unique Timesheet Org. Employees can have multiple job records. The Timesheet Org is on the NYIJOBS record. If an employee worked at the MU and the English Department, they would have different Timesheet Orgs on each job record. PYAHOUR access is granted based on Timesheet Orgs.
Check Delivery Org determines to what department an employee’s paycheck or earnings statement is delivered. Employees designate this by completing the Pay Delivery Authorization Form. The employee may request the Payroll Window (Org 410500) as his/her Check Delivery Org. The safest and quickest way for employees to be paid is by Direct Deposit. See the InfOSU website. Return
“00” is the suffix for regular student jobs; “55” is the suffix used for student employees on stipends (monthly salaried). The HR Business Center must approve the use of the 55 suffix on an individual basis. Return
Suffixes differentiate between different types of graduate assistant positions. Most positions will use the suffix 00 for both GRAs and GTAs. If their work is not academically associated but is service in nature, suffix 05 is used in place of 00. See the chart below.
Academic or Service Work
If possible, this should be done in PYAHOUR. Business Center HR can verify vacation balances to be paid out. If PYAHOUR is not available before the termination, fill out a Termination Pay Request form and send it to Payroll. Return
Submit a Termination Form and attach a letter of resignation or have the employee sign the form. All final pay, including vacation pay, must be included in the employee's final check. Return
For Classified employees, up to 250 hours of vacation leave may be paid, unless the employee has not completed the six full months’ of service. For Unclassified employees, up to 180 hours of vacation leave may be paid, unless the employee has not completed the six full months’ of service. Return
Try logging back in. If you are still unsuccessful, contact Payroll or OHR. Return
If index ZNOPAY or ZARPxx appears in PYAHOUR, change the labor distribution to the correct index(s) for the month. To permanently correct the default labor for next month, submit the correct Labor Distribution Form to the appropriate Business Center or complete an EPAF form in Oscar. The form is also available on the OSCAR website. Return
No, changing hours worked in PYAHOUR for salaried employees does not change monthly pay. A Pay Change Form must be submitted to change the monthly pay. Default hours in PYAHOUR should never be altered. The only exception to this rule is where part-time classified employees (CB's) have worked additional regular hours. See the Business Affairs website for additional information on this exception. Return
Complete the Labor Distribution Form available in OSCAR. Click on Download forms and scroll to Labor Distribution Change. Be sure to enable Macros if prompted. Enter department index (25%) and Work Study index (75%) and write, “default,” in the month/year. Attach the Work Study referral form and send to the Payroll Office. Return
The earn code RW5 has been designated for prior month Work Study. For a list of all student earn codes refer to Undergraduate Student Earn Codes on the Office of Human Resources website or Section 200: Payment of Student Employees in the Payroll Policy & Procedure Manual. Return
The Labor Distribution does not default both the department and Work Study indexes in PYAHOUR. What is wrong?
Even if a student returns to the same Work Study position as last year, the Labor Distribution reverts 100% to departmental index at the end of every fiscal year. The department can correct this by changing the labor distribution in PYAHOUR, then follow up with a Labor Distribution form. Return
Form W-2 is a federal statement that summarizes an employee’s annual taxable wages and related compensation, income taxes, and certain payroll deductions in a calendar year. Return