601: Accidents & Reporting One
Motor Pool Policy & Procedure Manual
Section 600: Accidents & Damage
To ensure the safety of operators and occupants of Motor Pool vehicles.
All departments and individuals who use Motor Pool vehicles.
All accidents and damage (including vandalism and vehicle theft) to or caused by a Motor Pool vehicle (including extended use vehicles) must be reported to the Motor Pool (541) 737-4141 no later than the next day, regardless of the dollar amount. Repair costs for damages not reported to the Motor Pool, within 30 days, will be billed to the department in full.
In the event of an accident, the employee operating the vehicle should take the following steps:
- Ascertain if anyone is injured. If so, take action for obtaining ambulance and medical care (911).
- Request that the local police come to the scene. If the police are unable to respond, then contact the local police department to file a police report.
- Ask the investigating officer to file a written report regardless of the extent of the damages.
- Exchange information with the other driver (driver cards are in the booklet received when the vehicle was picked up).
- Complete the At the Scene of Accident form (included in the booklet received when vehicle was picked up).
- Provide the Witness Card to pertinent witnesses (included in the booklet received when vehicle was picked up) at the scene.
- Complete the Oregon Traffic Accident and Insurance Report (included in the booklet received when vehicle was picked up).
- Arrange with the Motor Pool for the removal of the vehicle if it cannot be operated. If the vehicle can be legally and safety driven, it should be taken to the OSU Motor Pool at the earliest time possible.
- If the vehicle cannot be operated and Motor Pool personnel are not available, contact the Public Safety Office at 866-253-5671 (# is located on the front of the dispatch book).
- Report damage to or caused by a Motor Pool vehicle no later than the next day to the Motor Pool regardless of the dollar amount.