406: Vendor Invoice Processing
Fiscal Operations Manual
Section 400: Expenditures
An invoice from the vendor must have the following to be processed by OSU:
- Vendor’s name
- Vendor’s mailing address
- Billed to Oregon State University at OSU building or location
If the documentation/vendor invoice is addressed to an individual employee and their home (or non-OSU) address, payment cannot be made directly to the vendor by OSU. The individual must pay for the product or service themselves, and then request reimbursement from OSU if it is a qualified business expense. This request for reimbursement is made using a Reimbursement Request Form with proof of payment attached.
Banner invoices will route through unit approval queues before routing to the appropriate Business Center or Business Affairs for approval. Invoices are received, reviewed, and approved in the ordering unit. If they have authority to do so, the unit enters the information into the FAAINVE screen in Banner. If they do not have Banner access for this entry, the unit sends the invoice to the Business Center. Back-up documentation is scanned into Nolij. The invoice is electronically routed to the following approval queues:
1. Unit approver, if unit approval is still needed;
2. Property Administration, if paid on account code 40101 “capitalized equipment”; and
3. Business Center or Business Affairs for final approval.
Payments $5,000 or greater must have a P.O. reference in Banner or prior approval from PaCS. For additional information, see PaCS 303: Purchase Orders.
Invoices are audited for accuracy, compliance, allowability, use of proper account code, payment amount, appropriate discounts taken, correct vendor, and payment address. For expenditures on indexes connected with gifts, grants, and contracts, OPAA also reviews these documents for specific sponsor requirements, policies, or limitations. Banner invoices with errors will be disapproved on-line and routed back to the originator for correction. The reviewer will specify what needs to be corrected. There is a requirement for an additional special review/approval when a check is greater than $300,000. No approvals should be done without the required invoice/documents (paperwork).
Travel advances, Departmental (Non-travel) advances, and the associated settlement reimbursements are approved by the appropriate Business Center and Business Affairs. Exception: Moving Expenses should be sent directly to Business Affairs.
- 406-01 Trade-In of Capital Equipment
- 406-02 Vendor Invoice Number Guide
- 406-03 Separation of Duties
- 406-04 Signatures
- 406-05 Invoice Adjustments
- 406-06 Credit Memos
- 406-07 Discounts
- 406-08 Interest Penalty on Overdue Accounts Payable
- 406-09 Prepayments (Cash with Order)
- 406-10 Paying Taxes
- 406-11 Payment Terms (i.e. Net 30)
- 406-12 Lost or Stolen Checks
- 406-13 Vendor Maintenance
- 406-14: One-time Vendor Refunds