OSU has a long tradition of making great effort to give each student his or her own individual diploma during the commencement ceremony. For this to work, you must do your part. If one person does not follow instructions, everyone in that college who is behind that person will get the wrong diploma.
Please remember there will be little or no opportunity to visit a restroom from the beginning of the line up process until the ceremony ends.
- You must report for the processional line up. Assemble by college according to the line up diagram above. Signs in the quad will give you an approximate location. An information booth can give you directions or answer questions.
- This is a rain or shine event. If it rains, we will proceed as outlined. Your cap and gown should offer some rain protection.
- Marshals will begin the line up at 1:30 p.m. Within each college, honors students will line up first alphabetically, with everyone else lining up alphabetically following them.
- Marshals will give you a 3-by-5 card containing your name, position number and instructions for the ceremony. Locate the marshal stationed at the sign for your college, under the alphabetical sign that corresponds to your last name.
- Once you have your 3-by-5 card, line up in numerical order. Please maintain your position so you will receive your own diploma.
- If you arrive too late to pick up your 3-by-5 card from the marshal, you must line up at the end of your college’s line. Late arriving students will receive blank diploma cases during the ceremony. You can pick up your diploma at the Registrar’s office or at the Registrar’s station to the rear of the stage in Reser Stadium after the ceremony.
- Line up procedures must be completed by 2:30 p.m.
- Soon the procession will start. The sound of pipes and drums will be your indication of the start.
- The procession will march down through Truax between all lines. That means the lines for the colleges must be off the path and on the grass to allow the procession to pass between them.
- All students should face the colors as they lead the procession through the candidate ranks. Men should remove their mortarboards.
- The procession will include - in order - the chief marshal, the colors, the president’s platform party, faculty, doctoral, master’s and professional candidates.
- When the procession has passed through Truax, the six columns of bachelor’s candidates will follow.
- Pay attention at this point to make sure your column does not take off without you. Always follow the person in front of you.
- Each of the six bachelor’s candidate columns will enter Reser Stadium via the players’ ramp from Ralph Miller Drive. The ramp is steep, so watch your step. Candidates with mobility challenges should contact the Registrar’s office ahead of time for accommodations.
- Columns will line up six abreast on the field facing the stage. Once all students are in the stadium, the columns will proceed to the seating area.