- Facilities Services Home
- EH&S Training & Services
- Occupational Health & Safety
- Construction Safety
- Fire Safety
- JHA Manual
- Noise Exposure
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Respirator Program
- Shop Safety
- Research Safety
Laser Safety Training
This class is required for Class 3B, 3R and 4 laser users and recommended for all laser users.To be authorized to work with Class 3B, 3R or 4 lasers you must complete this online tutorial and receive specific training on the systems you will use. At the end of the tutorial you will take a quiz and send an acknowledgement of completion to Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S).
Training on the specific laser systems you will use must be conducted by the responsible Principal Investigator (PI) or supervisor. The documentation of the specific training is kept on file in the lab on the Laser Specific Training Documentation Form.
Are you ready to begin training? Get comfortable, this class can take 1-4 hours, depending on your knowledge level. Take it at your own pace and enjoy!
Use the Laser Safety Training navigation box on the left side of the page to move between sections.
- Definition and Properties of Laser Light
- How a Laser Works
- Laser Types and Classification
- Laser Hazards-General
- Laser Biological Hazards-Eyes
- Laser Biological Hazards-Skin
- Non-Beam Laser Hazards
- Laser Control Measures--General Concepts
- Control Measures by Laser Classification
- Warning Signs and Labels
- Protective Equipment
- Laser Safety at Oregon State University
- Laser Safety Training completion