- Facilities Services Home
- EH&S Training & Services
- Occupational Health & Safety
- Research Safety
Motorized Transport of Employees
Safety Instruction Number:27
Last Update:Tue, 09/11/2007
- Or-OSHA code sets specific standards for motorized transportation of workers in commercial vehicles
- OSU employees have been injured as a result of not following the regulations
- Transportation of workers in the back of commercial pickup trucks, dump trucks, flatbed trucks, cargo vans and panel vans is prohibited at OSU, unless there is a seat and employees can safely wear a seat belt.
- If an employee is riding in the back of a truck with cargo the material needs to be properly secured.
- Golf carts and cushman type vehicles can transport workers as long as
- there is a designated seat for each worker and
- a slow moving vehicle emblem is affixed on the back
Slow Moving Vehicle Emblem
- Consists of a fluorescent yellow-orange triangle with a dark red reflective border.
- Yellow-orange fluorescent triangle is a highly visible color for daylight exposure.
- Reflective border defines the shape of the fluorescent color in daylight and creates a hollow red triangle in the path of motor vehicle headlights at night.
- Emblem is intended as a unique identification for, and it shall be used only on, vehicles, which by design move slowly (25 m.p.h. or less) on the public roads.
- Exceptions exist for the motorized transport of workers in agricultural operations at farms and experiment stations
- The policy does not apply to fieldwork or loading or unloading moving commercial vehicles.