- Facilities Services Home
- EH&S Training & Services
- Occupational Health & Safety
- Research Safety
Prescription Safety Glasses
Safety Instruction Number:4
Last Update:Tue, 09/04/2007
- OSU policy and OSHA State safety requirements require that appropriate eye protection be provided to and worn by employees whose jobs expose them to eye hazards.
- Minimum acceptable form of eye protection is safety glasses that meet ANSI standard 287.1, "Practice for Occupational and Educational Eye and Face Protection"
- Normal prescription glasses do not provided adequate protection from injury to the eyes and do not meet ANSI eye protection specifications
- A prescription safety glasses program has been established and is coordinated by EH&S.
- As with other personnel protective equipment, prescription safety glasses are considered a reasonable departmental expense.
- Employee completes a Prescription Safety Glasses Authorization Form and an AOSafety Prescription Eyewear Order Form. Contact EH&S for the Eyewear Order Form.
- Forms requires departmental index number
- Supervisor's approval signature ON BOTH FORMS acknowledges prescription safety glasses are a requirement of the employee's job and their purchase is approved by the department
- Employee takes both completed authorization forms and a current prescription to one of the selected eyeglass vendors for frame selection and fitting
- Eye examinations which may be necessary to obtain the current prescription are at the employee's expense
- Vendor will notify the employee when the glasses are ready
- Employee should return to the vendor for final fitting and delivery of the prescription safety glasses
- EH&S will invoice the employee's department for the cost of the safety glasses.