- Facilities Services Home
- EH&S Training & Services
- Occupational Health & Safety
- Research Safety
VII. Employee Training
B. Hazard Information
- The Hazard Communication booklet should be available in each laboratory (Reference 9)
- Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS's) describe relevant safety and health information for a chemical. MSDS's for chemicals used in the laboratory should be in each laboratory or access to the main University MSDS computer data base should be immediately available.
- MSDS's can be obtained from EH&S.
C. Personal Protection
- All standard laboratory safety practices, such as the wearing of eye protection, shall be observed.
- Prohibited Activities in Laboratories Where Chemicals are Used. There shall be no eating, drinking, storage of food, or application of cosmetics (or similar activies) in areas where chemicas are used.
- Pipetting. Pipetting of chemicals by mouth is absolutely prohibited. Mechanical pipettes shall be used for pipetting.
- Supplementary Training. The Chemical Safety Committee will be responsible for providing periodic workshops and training sessions which cover current information, procedures and equipment available for the use of chemicals in laboratories.