FACULTY SENATE AGENDA
A. RESOLUTION OF SYMPATHY
- Thursday, April 10, 2014
- 3:00-5:00 PM
- LaSells Stewart Center
Construction & Engineering Hall
B. DISCUSSION ITEM
- The Oregon State University Faculty Senate expresses its deepest sympathies to the family of Beth Ray upon her death on March 21, 2014. Beth became OSU’s First Lady in 2003 and, from the beginning, was actively involved in OSU, as well as in the community, and was a familiar figure at OSU sports and cultural events, and a particularly engaged supporter of student athletes.
Beth was a lifetime educator, and her commitment to OSU students resulted in a student-led effort to rename the OSU Student Success Center as the Beth Ray Center for Academic Support.
Beth greatly enriched Oregon and Oregon State University, and her warmth, encouragement, and caring nature will be greatly missed.
C. SPECIAL REPORT
- First-Year Experience Initiative
Susie Brubaker-Cole (Associate Provost for Academic Success and Engagement) and Mark Hoffman (Associate Dean for Undergraduate Programs, PHHS) will outline the First-Year Experience Initiative, including: advantages of
early student engagement, the initiative timeline, enhancements, curriculum, and future directions.
D. COMMITTEE REPORTS
- Coalition on Intercollegiate Athletics (COIA)
Bruce Dugger, OSU’s COIA representative, will report on the COIA annual meeting.
E. INFORMATION ITEMS
- Bylaws Proposed Revisions
Kate Hunter-Zaworski, Bylaws and Nominations Committee Chair, will present for discussion proposed Bylaws revisions. It is
anticipated that these revisions will be voted on May 8.
- Executive Committee Report
Andy Karplus, Executive Committee member, will report on Executive Committee activities.
- Promotion and Tenure Proposed Revisions
Henri Jansen, Promotion & Tenure Committee chair, will present proposed revisions to the Promotion and Tenure Guidelines. These revisions will
be presented and discussed in April, and likely will be voted on in May.
F. REPORT FROM AND DIALOG WITH THE PROVOST
- Faculty Sessions with President Ray
Faculty are encouraged to register to meet with President Ray in a small group session on April 30 from 1:30-3:00 or May 29 from 2:00-3:30. This is an
opportunity for faculty (academic, research, professional) to communicate concerns to President Ray.
- Message and Straw Poll to all OSU Faculty Regarding Potential Veterans Day Closure and Starting Fall Term Early
Please see the message to faculty and straw poll related to the possibility of a Veterans Day closure and starting Fall term early – this is a follow-up to the discussion at the February Faculty Senate meeting. Please complete the straw poll, which will take only one minute, by April 18.
- Follow the Faculty Senate on Twitter - #OSUFacsen
The OSU Faculty Senate invites senators and all others—both on and off-campus—to connect and share their thoughts, concerns and ideas on the activities of the senate using Twitter. You can follow senate activity at #OSUFacsen.
- Learning Management System Blog and Sandbox Sites
Details about how to log into the Canvas and Blackboard 14 sites and related information is available at the
team’s blog page.
Starting next week there will be many more notifications on OSU Today and via Inform email lists. Please take some time to examine
and comment on the learning management systems and encourage your fellow faculty members to do so. Please complete the surveys associated with the
components you examined.
- Senate Webcast
The March Faculty Senate Webcast is posted online.
Becky Warner, Senior Vice Provost for Academic
G. REPORT FROM AND DIALOG WITH THE FACULTY SENATE PRESIDENT
President Dan Edge
H. NEW BUSINESS
IN ORDER TO PROPERLY RECORD MINUTES OF THE SENATE MEETING,
ALL SENATORS ARE REMINDED TO IDENTIFY THEMSELVES
AND THEIR SENATE AFFILIATION WHEN RISING TO SPEAK.
Please recycle printed agendas