Note: Simply clicking "Print" in your browser will result in a "Printer Friendly" version of the agenda.
FACULTY SENATE AGENDA
Thursday, December 10, 2009
Construction & Engineering Hall-LaSells Stewart Center
The agenda for the November Senate meeting will include the reports and other
items of business listed below.
REPORT FROM AND DIALOG WITH THE FACULTY SENATE PRESIDENT
President Paul Doescher will announce the results of the President-Elect and Interinstitutional Faculty Senate election.
Executive Committee Election
See attached biographical sketches for the Executive Committee candidates. Voting will take place during the meeting by Senators, proxies, and ex-officio members only. Three people will be elected for two-year terms beginning January 2010. Continuing EC members and their apportionment units are: Kate Halischak, Associated Faculty; Joe Hoff, Associated Faculty; and Kim McAlexander, Health & Human Sciences. Joining the EC is the senior Interinstitutional Faculty Senator, Ron Reuter from Forestry.
Category I Proposals
Carol Brown and Mike Bailey, Curriculum Council co-chairs, will present for approval the following Category I proposals:
INTERINSTITUTIONAL FACULTY SENATE REPORT
Joanne Sorte, Senior IFS Senator, will recap the December IFS meeting.
Becky Warner, Strategic Alignment & Budget Review Committee Chair, will provide a brief overview of the committees' activities. Information about this committee is online at http://oregonstate.edu/leadership/budget/.
DISCUSSION ITEM/PROVOST'S REPORT
Provost Randhawa will provide an update on furlough implementation details and will also discuss other budget related matters. Time will be provided for discussion.
- New Senator Orientation
The New Senator Orientation will be held January 14. If you are a continuing Senator, but were not able to attend the orientation when you were elected, please contact Vickie Nunnemaker (email@example.com) if you would like to attend the upcoming session.
- 2010 Faculty Senate Meetings
Please reserve the following dates for Faculty Senate meetings for the remainder of the academic year; check your monthly agenda to determine the location. All meetings are scheduled to begin at 3:00 PM:
January 14, February 11, March 11, April 8, May 13, and June 10.
- Campus Forum with Representative Sara Gelser
ASOSU and the Faculty Senate are co-sponsoring a forum on Monday, January 11 at 4:00 PM with Representative Sara Gelser. She will talk about Budget Issues Facing Oregon and OSU. The location has not yet been determined.
- State of the Budget
The State of the Budget website has been updated at http://oregonstate.edu/leadership/budget. Budget reductions by college are available at http://oregonstate.edu/leadership/budget/implementation.html.
- Information regarding the below awards is available online at http://oregonstate.edu/senate/awards/nom/; nominations will be accepted through March 1 , 2010.
- Richard M. Bressler Senior Faculty Teaching Award
- International Service Award
- D. Curtis Mumford Faculty Service Award
- OSU Academic Advising Award
- OSU Alumni Association Distinguished Professor Award
- OSU Faculty Teaching Excellence Award
- OSU Professional Faculty Excellence Award
- Outstanding Faculty Research Assistant Award
- Dar Reese Excellence in Advising Award
- Elizabeth P. Ritchie Distinguished Professor Award
- Student Learning and Success Teamwork Award
- OSU Impact Award for Outstanding Scholarship
- Promising Scholar Award
- Housing and Dining Services is building a new program for international students to experience the American and Corvallis culture through an interactive home structure. We are working closely with INTO–OSU programs to provide an experience of a life time for the international students and their hosts. Our Student/Host matching system will look at the needs and situation of each student and host, then assign people who have the best fit of personality, experience goals and resources. On the application you have the ability to decide which program length you would like to host and the cultures you would be the most comfortable or interested in hosting. Depending on the student needs you may host a student at the start of the next session, or several throughout a single academic term. INTO-OSU has four-week courses along with the traditional term and yearlong programs. Our first group of students will be coming the last week of this December and we are in need of hosts. We hope that you will take advantage of this opportunity! Please explore the links before for more information. Thank you!
Host Application: http://uhds.oregonstate.edu/myuhds/form/homestay/host
President Paul Doescher
IN ORDER TO PROPERLY RECORD MINUTES OF THE SENATE MEETING,
ALL SENATORS ARE REMINDED TO IDENTIFY THEMSELVES
AND THEIR SENATE AFFILIATION WHEN RISING TO SPEAK.
Please recycle printed agendas