Note: Simply clicking "Print" in your browser will result in a "Printer Friendly" version of the agenda.
FACULTY SENATE AGENDA
Thursday, November 12, 2009
Construction & Engineering Hall-LaSells Stewart Center
The agenda for the November Senate meeting will include the reports and other
items of business listed below.
- Faculty Senate Nominations and Elections
Lynda Ciuffetti, Bylaws and Nominations Committee co-chair, will present for approval the 2009 Slate of Candidates for: Senate President-Elect, three new members of the Executive Committee (EC), and one Interinstitutional Faculty Senate (IFS) Senator. The President-Elect serves for one year, and then automatically assumes the presidency of the Faculty Senate; EC members serve two-year terms; and IFS are terms of three years. Nominations will be taken from the floor; however, the nominator must obtain, in advance, the nominee's willingness to serve if elected.
- Ballot Counting Committee
Three volunteers and two alternates are needed to assist in verifying the election results for the President-Elect and IFS ballots on December 10 from 1:30-3:30; President Ciuffetti will ask for volunteers from the floor.
- Recommendation for a Temporary Pay Reduction (to be considered following Discussion Items)
Nell O’Malley, Faculty Economic Welfare and Retirement Committee Chair, and Tony Wilcox, Faculty Status Chair, will present for approval a
recommendation for a temporary pay reduction.
PRESENTATION BY PRESIDENT RAY, PROVOST RANDHAWA AND OTHER OSU LEADERSHIP
Dialogue and response to issues in the context of the university's 2009-11 biennium budget and strategic plan.
- President-Elect, Executive Committee and IFS Elections
As provided in the Senate Bylaws, (Article VI, Section 3) and amended on October 6, 1977, "additional nominations may be made from the floor and the nominations shall be closed." The Executive Committee requires that if such nominations from the floor are made, the nominator must obtain, in advance, the nominee's willingness to serve if elected.
The University-wide election of the President-Elect and IFS Senator will be conducted between November 17 and December 8. Ballots will be distributed to all eligible voting members of the OSU faculty, in accordance with current Faculty Senate Bylaws. Voting must be completed no later than 5:00 PM on December 8 and results will be verified by the Counting Committee prior to the December 10 Faculty Senate meeting. The individual receiving the highest number of votes will be declared the winner in each of the elections.
Election of new members of the Executive Committee will be conducted by written ballot at the December 10 Faculty Senate meeting. Those candidates receiving the highest number of votes shall be elected. Tie votes shall be resolved by written ballot in a run-off election.
- Instructions for Nomination and Election of Faculty Senators
Upon receipt of all materials, and approval of the apportionment table, the Faculty Senate Office annually transmits Senatorial nomination and election instructions to the head of each voting unit; a sample letter is available for viewing.
- 2010 Apportionment Table
The Faculty Senate voted in October to use the 2009 Faculty Senate Apportionment Table (consisting of OSU FTE in the ranks of Instructor and above, including Professional Faculty and Faculty Research Assistants and Associates) for 2010. The link indicates the total number of Senators from each apportionment unit
- Budget Responses
In order to develop a better understanding of the long-term vision and how alignment and reduction actions will affect both the short and long term operations of OSU, the Faculty Senate Executive Committee provided an opportunity to anonymously submit questions and concerns. The responses were reviewed by members of the Executive Committee, grouped around themes and forwarded to OSU Leadership for written response. The responses from OSU Leadership have been received and posted.
- Faculty on 1039-Hour Appointments
Retired Faculty Senators whose terms extend beyond December 31, but whose 1039-hour appointments terminate fall term, are no longer eligible to serve as a Senator. If you fall into this category, please contact the Faculty Senate Office at firstname.lastname@example.org so a replacement can be identified to complete the remainder of your term.
Faculty whose Senate committee/council terms extend beyond December 31, but whose 1039-hour appointments terminate fall term, are no longer eligible to continue serving. If you are not filling a specified emeritus/retired position on the committee/council on which you serve, or if you are unsure, please contact the Faculty Senate Office so a determination may be made and/or a replacement identified.
- State of the University Address
President Ray’s 2009 State of the University Address may be accessed online at http://oregonstate.edu/media/filter/cdjqwj
- Awards Solicitation
The Faculty Recognition and Awards Committee is accepting nominations for the below awards; for further information, contact Vickie Nunnemaker at email@example.com.
- OSU Distinguished Service Award – This award recognizes individuals or organizations who have made exceptional contributions or who have rendered unusual service to society. Criteria and nomination information is available online at http://oregonstate.edu/senate/awards/nom/dsa/. Nominations are due December 1, 2009.
- Information regarding the below awards is available online at http://oregonstate.edu/senate/awards/nom/; nominations will be accepted through March 1 , 2010.
- Richard M. Bressler Senior Faculty Teaching Award
- International Service Award
- D. Curtis Mumford Faculty Service Award
- OSU Academic Advising Award
- OSU Alumni Association Distinguished Professor Award
- OSU Faculty Teaching Excellence Award
- OSU Professional Faculty Excellence Award
- Outstanding Faculty Research Assistant Award
- Dar Reese Excellence in Advising Award
- Elizabeth P. Ritchie Distinguished Professor Award
- Student Learning and Success Teamwork Award
- OSU Impact Award for Outstanding Scholarship
- Promising Scholar Award
REPORT FROM AND DIALOG WITH THE FACULTY SENATE PRESIDENT
President Paul Doescher
IN ORDER TO PROPERLY RECORD MINUTES OF THE SENATE MEETING,
ALL SENATORS ARE REMINDED TO IDENTIFY THEMSELVES
AND THEIR SENATE AFFILIATION WHEN RISING TO SPEAK.
Please recycle printed agendas.