Note: Simply clicking "Print" in your browser will result in a "Printer Friendly" version of the agenda.
FACULTY SENATE AGENDA
- Thursday, October 9, 2008
- 3:00-5:00 PM
- Construction & Engineering Hall
- LaSells Stewart Center
The agenda for the October Senate meeting will include the reports and other
items of business listed below.
STATE OF THE UNIVERSITY ADDRESS
President Ed Ray will deliver his State of the University Address titled "Charting the Future."
Interinstitutional Faculty Senate
Kate Hunter-Zaworski, IFS Senator, will report on the October Interinstitutional Faculty Senate meeting.
STUDENT ATHLETE PANEL
The panel will discuss with Senators the life of student athletes at OSU. The moderator is Terry Liskevych, Head Coach of the Volleyball team. The panelists are: Stephanie Clough, Women’s Soccer, Exercise and Sport Science, Junior; James Dockery, Football, Business Administration, Junior; Bree Knitter, Volleyball, Spanish, Junior; Josh Tarver, Men’s Basketball, Speech Communications, Senior; and Bradon Wells, Baseball, Speech Communications, Senior.
The following attachments are linked:
- Faculty Senate Fall Elections
Bill Boggess and Jeff Hale, Bylaws and Nominations Committee Co-Chairs, are accepting recommendations for 1) President-Elect, 2) Executive Committee members, and 3) Interinstitutional Faculty Senate Senator. Executive Committee nominees must be a current Senator and President-Elect nominees must have been a Senator (current and past Faculty Senators are available online). Nominations may be forwarded to the Faculty Senate Office via electronic mail to email@example.com. Deadline for nominations is October 10.
NOTE: If Senators wish to make a nomination from the floor at the November meeting when the slate of candidates is presented, they must have received prior approval from the nominee.
- Faculty Forums
All faculty are invited to participate in forums designed to determine whether the Faculty Senate is meeting their needs; please be prepared to share your concerns, questions, comments, suggestions, etc. Two forums are scheduled: 1) October 22, 10:30-11:30 for professional faculty and 2) November 21, 10:30-11:30 for academic and research faculty. President Ciuffetti will not be presenting information at these forums but will be listening to the faculty. The location will be determined based on the response for each forum. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate for which forum you are registering.
- Faculty Senate Calendar
Please reserve the following dates for Faculty Senate meetings during academic year 2007-08; check your monthly agenda to determine the location. All meetings are scheduled to begin at 3:00 PM:
2008 – November 13, December 11
2009 – January 8, February 12, March 12, April 9, May 14, and June 11.
University Day Speech
Dr. Carol Geary Schneider’s University Day Speech titled “Give Students a Compass” is streamed online at: http://oregonstate.edu/events/universityday/. The speech begins at 2:48 and ends at 31:45.
- OSU Honorary Doctorate Award Solicitation
The Faculty Recognition and Awards Committee requests nominations for the OSU Honorary Doctorate Award This award recognizes individuals who have distinguished themselves in their selected areas of endeavor and are recognized for their eminence as national and international leaders and models. Criteria and nomination information is available online at http://oregonstate.edu/dept/senate/awards/nom/hd/. Nominations are due December 18, 2008. For further information, contact Vickie Nunnemaker at email@example.com.
- OSU Distinguished Service Award Solicitation
The Faculty Recognition and Awards Committee requests nominations for the OSU Distinguished Service Award. This award recognizes individuals or organizations who have made exceptional contributions or who have rendered unusual service to society. Criteria and nomination information is available online at http://oregonstate.edu/senate/awards/nom/dsa/. Nominations are due December 18, 2008. For further information, contact Vickie Nunnemaker at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Category I Approvals
The campus community should take appropriate action to update their records to reflect the following changes:
- The Graduate Certificate in Marine Resource Management approved by the Faculty Senate on February 14th, 2008, received approval from the Oregon State Board of Higher Education on June 6th, 2008.
- The Graduate Certificate in Fisheries Management, approved by the Faculty Senate on February 14th, 2008, received approval from the Oregon State Board of Higher Education on June 6th, 2008
- The proposal to Reorganize Administrative Units in the College of Business, approved by the Faculty Senate on June 12th, 2008, received approval from Provost Randhawa on June 13th, 2008.
- The proposal to Reorganize the College of Forestry, approved by the Faculty Senate on June 12th, 2008, received approval from Provost Randhawa on June 13th, 2008.
- The Undergraduate Certificate in Religion and Culture, approved by the Faculty Senate on May 8, 2008, received approval from the State Board of Higher Education on July 11, 2008.
REPORT FROM AND DIALOG WITH THE FACULTY SENATE PRESIDENT
President Lynda Ciuffetti
IN ORDER TO PROPERLY RECORD MINUTES OF THE SENATE MEETING,
ALL SENATORS ARE REMINDED TO IDENTIFY THEMSELVES
AND THEIR SENATE AFFILIATION WHEN RISING TO SPEAK.
Please recycle printed agendas.