Note: Simply clicking "Print" in your browser will result in a "Printer Friendly" version of the agenda.
FACULTY SENATE AGENDA
- Thursday, May 8, 2008
- 3:00-5:00 PM
- Peavy Auditorium – Peavy Hall Room 130
The agenda for the May Senate meeting will include the reports and other
items of business listed below.
Resolution of Sympathy
President Ciuffetti will present for approval the following Resolution of Sympathy:
The Oregon State University Faculty Senate expresses its deepest sympathies to the family of Warren N. Suzuki upon his death on February 9, 2008. Warren joined the faculty in the College of Education in 1974. He distinguished himself in his field and was instrumental in the formation of the OSU Association of Faculty for the Advancement of People of Color.
Warren enthusiastically embraced both the challenges and pleasures in life. He enriched Oregon and Oregon State University during his 26 year tenure, and he truly will be missed.
Category I Proposals
John Lee, Curriculum Council Chair, will present for approval the below Category I Proposals:
- Standing Rules Revisions
Mark Meyers, Committee on Committees chair, will present for approval proposed Standing Rules revisions to the following Faculty Senate Committees:
- Computing Resources Committee
- Graduate Council
- Research Council Standing Rules
- Faculty Panels for Hearing Committees
Every even-numbered year the Faculty Senate votes to elect members to the Faculty Panels for Hearing Committee. Senators will have an opportunity during the meeting to place their names on the ballot or nominate others. Information about the Panels and those who have agreed to have their name placed on the ballot are linked.
- Salary Resolution
President Ciuffetti will present background and request approval of a resolution urging the release of funds for the State Salary Package in June 2008.
- Guidelines for the Student Evaluation Letter for Inclusion in the Promotion and Tenure Dossier
Roger Nielsen, Promotion and Tenure Committee Chair, will present for information the Guidelines for the Student Evaluation Letter for Inclusion in the Promotion and Tenure Dossier. Also linked is a PowerPoint presentation that provides background and context for the guidelines.
- (SET) Student Evaluation of Teaching
President Ciuffetti will lead a discussion regarding the responses received by Senators from constituents to two questions regarding the SET tool: 1) Would you favor the revision or replacement of the current SET? and 2) Since the OAR requires evaluation, would you favor shifting the evaluation of teaching to an assessment of learning? Depending on the responses, next steps may also be discussed.
- Category I Approvals
The campus community should take appropriate action to update their records to reflect the following changes:
- The Graduate Certificate in Water Conflict Management and Transformation, approved by the Faculty Senate on February 14, received approval from the Oregon State Board of Higher Education on April 4; the effective date is spring 2007.
- The abbreviated Category I proposal, Renaming the BS, MS, and PhD Degrees in Nutrition & Food Management, approved by the Faculty Senate on March 13, received final approval from the Provost on March 17, 2008.
- The abbreviated Category I proposal, Termination of the B.S. Degree in Medical Technology, approved by the Faculty Senate on February 14, received final approval from the OUS Provost’s Council on March 6, 2008.
REPORT FROM AND DIALOG WITH THE PROVOST
Sabah Randhawa, Provost & Executive Vice President
REPORT FROM AND DIALOG WITH THE FACULTY SENATE PRESIDENT
Lynda Ciuffetti, Faculty Senate President
IN ORDER TO PROPERLY RECORD MINUTES OF THE SENATE MEETING,
ALL SENATORS ARE REMINDED TO IDENTIFY THEMSELVES
AND THEIR SENATE AFFILIATION WHEN RISING TO SPEAK.
Please recycle printed agendas.