3) Immediate Past President
6) Directors at Large of the OSU Executive Committee
7) Affiliate Directors
8) Chair of the Board of Trustees
9) Professional Development Committee Chair
11) Esprit de Corps
12) Public Relations
13) Staff Awards
14) Annual Conference Committee Representatives
Purpose: To serve a 1-year term as chief executive officer of the association.
1. Preside over all meetings of the association and the executive committee.
2. Develops meeting agendas and notifies the executive committee of meetings.
3. Serves as ex-officio member of all committees.
4. Maintains the general powers and duties of supervision and management usually vested in the office of president.
5. Appoints special committees.
6. Represents the association to the University, Extension Administration, and other entities as needed.
7. Prepare and submit reports.
8. Prepare articles for the OSUEA newsletter.
9. Make necessary arrangements for the annual meeting at Extension Annual Conference or other time as designated.
Purpose: To assist the president and prepare to become the association president.
1. Perform the duties and exercise the powers of the president during the absence of the president.
2. Become familiar with the operational procedures and documents of the association.
3. The year following the term as president-elect, be president of the association.
4. Assist the president with the association 's activities.
5. Arrange for the orderly transition of the outgoing and incoming officers and committee chairs.
6. Arrange for the meeting of the joint outgoing and incoming board meeting at the time of transition if needed.
7. Perform other duties as designated by the executive committee or the president.
8. Secure an award of appreciation for service for the outgoing President and present it at the annual business meeting.
Purpose: The primary role of the immediate past president is to offer advice to the Board as it relates to the knowledge of the past history of the work of the Association.
1. Attend board meetings and be available for consultation with the President.
2. Depending on the expertise of the past president, one other assignment can be given for the year. These responsibilities will be defined yearly in negotiation with the current president, the board and the immediate past president.
Purpose: To serve a 2-year term as recording secretary for the association.
1. Record and preserve minutes or proceedings from meetings of the association, and of the executive committee. File associated materials and handouts with minutes or proceedings.
2. Notify the membership of meetings of the association.
3. Be responsible for other secretarial duties that may arise.
4. Attend OSUEA board meetings.
5. Submit articles to the OSUEA newsletter.
The secretary is responsible for announcing to all members the location, time, and purpose of the association's annual meeting.
If the president or a majority of the board of directors votes to hold a special meeting, they must provide the date and objectives of the meeting in writing with the secretary. The secretary must notify the membership in writing of the special meeting at least 10 days prior to the meeting date. This special meeting must address only business mentioned in the written notice.
Purpose: To serve as the chief financial officer of the association.
In addition to the duties outlined in Section 5 of Article 5 of the OSUEA Bylaws, the OSUEA treasurer:
1. Collects dues for the state and national affiliate (ie, NACAA, OAEA, ESP, NAE4-HA, NAEHE and OAEHE).
2. Disburses funds as requested by the affiliates, and keeps appropriate records.
3. Maintains membership lists for OSUEA and the affiliates that desire such lists.
4. Maintains a list of OSUEA committee members.
5. Provides lists of OSUEA members and committee members to the OSUEA president, the newsletter editor and the membership chairperson.
6. Provides a list of OSUEA members to the staff awards chairperson.
7. Prepares a Treasurers Report for each quarterly meeting of OSUEA.
Purpose: The Oregon State University Extension Association (OSUEA) constitution states that "Each director-at-large shall be a member of the executive committee and shall assume the responsibilities designated by the executive committee."
1. As an elected member of the executive committee, the primary responsibility of directors-at-large is to ensure that the actions of the executive committee are in the best interests of the general membership. This means that it is very important for directors to attend executive committee meetings and to study and question items of business such as the budget or proposals submitted by various standing committees.
2. Directors-at-large also need to be available to serve on ad hoc committee assignments as established by the executive committee.
3. Finally, directors-at-large act as a representative of the executive committee of OSUEA to one of the standing committees. They should make every effort to communicate with their assigned standing committee chairperson and, if possible, attend meetings.
Purpose: The Oregon State University Extension Association (OSUEA) serves as the umbrella organization for all of the affiliate associations for various program areas. The president of each affiliate organization shall serve on the executive committee of OSUEA during their term in office.
1. The affiliate directors serve as representatives of their affiliate associations, to increase the communication between OSUEA and the affiliates. They will attend board meetings and issue reports on their affiliate activities.
2. Affiliate directors are encouraged to be available to serve on ad hoc committee assignments as established by the executive committee.
Purpose: The chair of the Board of Trustees is responsible for coordinating the application process for Extension faculty and staff requesting funds for professional development activities. Applications are due January 1, April 1, July 1, and October 1 each year.
1. Write articles for the OSUEA newsletter as reminder to apply, recognizing those who have been awarded funds and describing procedures.
2. One or two months before applications are due, send out e-mail reminders to all Extension faculty and staff regarding application deadline.
1. Receive OSUEA professional development funds applications from Extension OPOD office (currently Beverly Corr)
2. Contact OSU Foundation office (currently Hazel Muller) for spendable amounts in each of the OSUEA accounts.
Nels Anderson--Account number 109302
Conference--Account number 109301
Extension Fellowship--Account number 109300
3. Summarize applications and send cover letter (with complete copies of all applications to committee members) with deadline to provide input and recommendations for amounts to be granted or not.
4. Verify OSUEA membership for conference fund applications.
5. Summarize (average) amounts recommended by committee members, requesting additional input if necessary.
6. Notify Extension administrative assistant (currently Janet Drollinger) as to awards.
7. Notify recipients of acceptance or denial of applications.
Purpose: To coordinate efforts which promote and foster professional growth and development for OSU Extension faculty.
1. Conduct two or more meetings with professional development committee members (i.e. face-to-face, conference calls, etc.) to focus on professional development issues and concerns.
2. Provide support and assistance as needed to subcommittee chairs:
a. Search for Excellence
b. Poster Sessions
3. Assist subcommittees in finding and orientating chair, as needed.
4. Promote membership on the subcommittees and on the professional development committee.
5. Serve as liaison and committee member on the Annual Conference Planning Committee. (See annual conference liaison job description.)
6. Serve as liaison with Extension Administration, Organizational Planning and Development (OPOD), and Extension professional organizations and affiliates in identifying professional development opportunities and support.
7. Attend all OSUEA Board meetings or designate a committee member to represent you.
8. Prepare a Professional Development committee report for each OSUEA Board meeting or as requested by the OSUEA president.
9. Submit timely and relevant articles for the OSUEA newsletter.
10. Appoint and orient a successor to serve in capacity as chair. Chair should consider identifying a successor after serving two 1-year terms.
Membership shall be comprised of those Extension Association members indicating an interest in Professional Development Committee activities and who have volunteered to serve on committee. Term of membership shall be renewed annually. If committee membership does not naturally include representatives from the following groups or organizations, then chairman should actively recruit a representative from:
1) Agriculture Program
2) Home Economics Program
3) Forestry Program
4) 4-H Program
5) Sea Grant Program
6) Energy Program
7) Organizational Planning and Development (OPOD)
8) Oregon County Agriculture Agents Association Professional Improvement Chair or representative
9) Oregon Family and Consumer Sciences Association Professional Improvement Chair or representative
10) Oregon Extension 4-H Agents Association Professional Improvement Chair or representative
11) Epsilon Sigma Phi Association representative
1. Explore ways to promote and foster professional growth and improvement.
2. Inform and encourage Extension workers in pursuing professional development opportunities.
3. Support and involve members by developing the members' growth through Extension Association involvement.
Search for Excellence Committee
1. Promote the Search for Excellence program and application process to association membership and extension faculty through newsletter articles, direct mail and email.
2. Coordinate a peer-revue selection process for association members to submit programs of excellence and impact. Notify members of the results of the selection process.
3. Conduct a Search for Excellence program at the OSU Extension Annual Conference where selected programs make a presentation about their programs to colleagues. Reserve needed facilities and equipment with Extension Administration.
4. Order and award plaques/certificates to selected Search for Excellence program presentations.
5. Type abstracts of selected Search for Excellence programs for inclusion in Annual Conference packets and for press releases.
Poster Session Committee
1. Promote the Poster Session and Exhibit program and application process to association membership and extension faculty through newsletter articles, direct mail and e-mail.
2. Coordinate a peer-revue selection process for association members to submit programs of excellence and impact. Notify members of the results of the selection process.
3. Coordinate the Poster Session and Exhibit program at the OSU Extension Annual Conference where selected posters will be on display. Reserve needed tables and equipment with Extension Administration.
4. Type list of selected Poster Sessions & Exhibits for inclusion in Annual Conference packets.
5. Coordinate a "Quality Display Awards" process for picking the 1st, 2nd and 3rd poster sessions on display at Annual Conference. Order and award ribbons/certificates to winners.
1. Promote fundraising effort to association membership and Extension faculty through newsletter articles, direct mail, and email.
2. Conduct fund raising activity, during OSU Extension Annual Conference, to raise funds for the Extension Fellowship Fund and the Extension Conference Fund.
3. Coordinate a donation incentive program to encourage membership to contribute to the funds. This includes but is not limited to payroll deduction program and raffle.
4. Tabulate and send contributions to the OSU Foundation for deposit.
5. Share results of fund raising effort with membership and extension faculty.
Membership Committee Chair
Purpose: To oversee all membership activities of OSUEA.
1. At annual conference time responsible for encouraging paying of dues.
2. Responsible for encouraging State, National and affiliate membership.
3. Responsible for keeping brochure up-dated and printed.
4. Act as nominating committee.
1. Increase OSUEA membership.
2. Promote OSUEA.
3. Handle nomination of OSUEA officers.
Purpose: To promote fellowship and morale among Extension Professionals
To assist the Extension Annual Conference Planning Committee in developing annual conference activities that promote the fellowship, morale and physical well being of conference participants.
To promote closer association of Extension Professionals through summer outings or other social activities during the year.
To integrate and welcome new staff into the organization.
Esprit de Corps Committee Chair shall be appointed by the Association President.
Esprit de Corps Committee members shall be made up of OSUEA members should indicate an interest in participating on the committee and Extension Staff recruited to represent various geographical areas of the state.
To assist the Extension Annual Conference Planning Committee in planning and implementing a get acquainted social event at Extension annual conference.
To assist the Extension Annual Conference Planning Committee in planning and implementing activities that promote the physical well being of Extension annual conference participants.
To develop and implement social events and other beneficial association of Extension staff during the summer.
OSU Extension Association Esprit de Corps Committee Recent History
For many years, the primary responsibilities of the OSUEA Esprit de Corps Committee included the Extension annual conference "Wine and Cheese Social", the annual conference Cooperators Awards Banquet, and the Extension summer picnic. In the mid 1990s, the Wine and Cheese Social was replaced by a barbecue organized by the Extension Annual Conference planning committee. Responsibility for the Extension Cooperators Awards Banquet was transferred to the OSUEA Public Relations Committee which supervises the Cooperators Awards program. Responsibility for planning the Extension summer picnic (which is attended primarily by Extension alumni) was assumed by Epsilon Sigma Phi.
Activities that promote fellowship and morale among Extension Professionals are associated with most of the activities of OSUEA committees. It is arguable that the OSU Extension Association does not need a separate committee to promote Esprit de Corps. All OSUEA committees should be vested with this responsibility.
Future activities of the OSUEA Esprit de Corps committee that could be explored and developed include:
Activities at annual conference that promote the physical well being and camaraderie of conference participants (temporary passes and lockers at on-campus sport facilities, informal sports events, guided nature walks, etc.).
Establishment and maintenance of a hospitality room/business center for off-campus faculty to use at Extension annual conference.
Oregon statewide vacation information network and vacation home exchange for Extension staff and their families.
Purpose: To foster good public relations for OSU Extension and the OSUEA.
1. Continue work on programs to help us improve the Extension image.
2. Promote the use of permanent name tags for all Extension agents.
3. Conduct a public relations effort involving the Association of Oregon County Governments, and other elected officials.
4. Conduct a program of recognition for supporters of Extension.
Purpose: To recognize the outstanding work of OSUEA members and their cooperators through the presentation of awards during the Extension Annual Conference.
1. Select members for state and national recognition.
2. Plan and conduct awards program at Annual Conference.
Purpose: Represent OSUEA membership and committee needs on the OSU Extension Annual Conference Planning Committee.
1) Serve as communication link between OSUEA Board and the OSU Extension Annual Conference Planning Committee.
2) Bring OSUEA activities logistical and programmatic needs to the table as the conference schedule and format is being created.
3) Contact appropriate OSUEA committee chairs, as needed, regarding conference scheduling.
4) Help conduct OSU Extension Annual Conference activities as appropriate.
OSU Extension Annual Conference--OSUEA Activities
1. OSUEA Annual Meeting: a) Contact--OSUEA President, b) Logistics--Meeting time 1-2 hours, c) Meal and room reserved by-OSUEA President with assistance by the OSUEA Annual Conference Representative.
2. Recognition and Awards: a) Contact--Recognition & Awards Committee Chair, b) Logistics--Part of OSUEA Annual Meeting
3. Cooperator Awards Function: a) Contact - Public Relations Committee Chair, b) Logistics--Meal and room reserved by Public Relations Committee Chair
4. Search for Excellence Award: a) Contact--Professional Development (sub) Committee Chair, b) Logistics--Meeting time 2 hours, Room reserved by Subcommittee chair with assistance from Extension Administration Secretary
5. Poster Sessions: a) Contact--Professional Development (sub) Committee Chair, b) Logistics--Tables reserved by Subcommittee Chair with assistance from Extension Administrative Secretary
6. OSUEA Old and New Board Meetings: a) Contact--OSUEA president-elect, b) Logistics--Meeting time 2 hours. Meeting room reserved by OSUEA President-elect with assistance of Extension Administration Secretary
7. Affiliate Meetings and Banquets: a) Contact--Affiliates Presidents, b) Logistics--Meeting time 2 hours with lunch. Meals and Rooms reserved by Affiliate Presidents with assistance from Extension Administration Secretary.
8. Esprit de Corp Functions (i.e. Hospitality Room) a) Contact--Esprit de Corp Committee Chair, b) Logistics--Meeting Room Reserved by Esprit de Corp Chair with assistance from Extension Administrative Secretary
Modified June 3, 2008