Entertainment, athletic events, food and other activities are on tap this May 4-6 when hundreds of mothers of OSU students will visit campus for the annual Moms Weekend celebration.
Many of the events are free and open to the public, though several have charges and other require tickets.
Moms Weekend features literally dozens of events, including tours of campus facilities, Pac-12 Conference baseball and softball games, workshops, booths, films and other entertainment.
Among the popular events held in conjunction with Moms Weekend are:
- Pet Day, held from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, May 5, at Magruder Hall, located on 30th Street in Corvallis. The OSU College of Veterinary Medicine opens its doors for tours, displays and a number of family-oriented events. One of the more popular events at the university, Pet Day annually draws 3,000 to 4,000 visitors – many of whom bring their pets. Among the activities will be dog agility demonstrations, a petting zoo, a pet wash, Frisbee contests for dogs, tours of the Veterinary Teaching Hospital and more. Numerous organizations and vendors will have displays, providing free samples, information and other resources on everything from pet food to shelter medicine;
- The All-University Sing and Greek Life Showcase, Saturday, May 5, in Gill Coliseum (tickets are $30);
- Hawaiian students at OSU will bring a taste of the islands to campus this Saturday, May 5, when Hui-O-Hawaii with the Polynesian Cultural Club hosts its 57th annual Lu’au at Gill Coliseum. This year’s lu’au begins at 5 p.m. and includes dinner, a show and a concert. Advance tickets are priced at $25 for all three; or $20 for just the show and concert; they are available in advance this week on the brick mall adjacent to the Memorial Union quad from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The Hawaiian dinner includes Kalua pork, lomi salmon, chicken long rice, steamed white rice, shoyu chicken (soy sauce), and haupia (coconut flavored gelatin dessert). Following dinner, the show will feature a range of Polynesian dances;
- The Memorial Union Program Council (MUPC) Comedy Show, featuring Alonzo Bodden and opening act Comedy Sportz, will take place at 6:30 and 9 p.m. Saturday in LaSells Stewart Center. Tickets are priced at $38 and $34;
- The MUPC fashion show called “Beyond the Edge” will be held at 11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. on Saturday in the Memorial Union ballroom. Tickets are priced at $15;
- The Showcase of OSU will feature food, arts and crafts, and entertainment in the Memorial Union quad on Saturday from noon to 5 p.m. Hot air balloon rides are offered from 9 to 11 a.m.;
- The International Students of Oregon State University (ISOSU) will hold its annual Spring Festival on Sunday, May 6, in the Memorial Union quad on campus, with the theme “Celebrating Mothers around the World.” This free event begins at noon and continues through 4 p.m. ISOSU is a student-led program through the Student Leadership & Involvement office. The Spring Festival will serve as a final event for the Moms Weekend celebration at OSU. In addition to international cuisine, the festival will feature live music and dance performances from students and groups around Oregon, and a children’s corner with games, face-painting and other activities.
For those seeking more active pursuits, a Bald Hill hike and yoga event will take place on Saturday, as will a pistol club fundraiser shoot, a Challenge Course experience, and a 5-kilometer fun run.