Juniperus squamata Blue Star Cupressaceae
Blue Star Singleseed Juniper, Blue Star Flaky Juniper ju-NIP-er-us skwa-MA-ta
- Conifer, evergreen, rounded, squat shrub (dwarf), 3 ft (1 m) tall by 4 ft (1.2 m), mounded. Leaves awl-shaped, 6-10 mm long, over-lapping, densely arranged, in whorls of 3, steel-blue, conspicuous white stripe.
- Sun. Adaptable, tolerates dry soils.
- Hardy to USDA Zone 4 Species native to Afghanistan, Himalayas, western China.
- Blue Star originated as a witches' broom on Meyeri in Holland, introduced in 1964. Several other cultivars of Juniperus squamata are available, including Blue Carpet, Holger, and Meyeri.
- squamata: scaly, the bark.
- Oregon State Univ. campus: Hort. Garden west of Cordley Hall.