Ilex cornuta 'Burfordii'
Burford Chinese Holly
- Broadleaf evergreen shrub/tree, 10-25 ft (3-8 m), dense, rounded. Leaves short-stalked, 4-10 cm long, lustrous dark green, often with a single terminal spine, or occasionally with two lateral spines, tough texture. Fruit red, 6-8 mm long, sets heavily without pollination.
- Sun. Very adaptable, but does not tolerate very alkaline soil.
- Hardy to USDA Zone (6)7 Discovered about 1900 in a cemetery in Georgia.
- There is also a 'Dwarf Burford' (aka 'Burfordii Compacta'), which is a compact
form the reaches 6 ft or more and has smaller and darker green leaves and does not
fruit as heavily as 'Burfordii'.
- Oregon State Univ. campus: north side of the parking lot north of Bates Hall.