Hakea microcarpa Proteaceae
Small-fruited Hakea HAK-ee-a mik-ro-KAR-pa
- Evergreen shrub, spreading to 6.5 ft (2 m) high, rigid, open. Leaves erect, 3-11 cm long, cylindrical, about 1.5 mm diameter, or flattened, about 5 mm wide, gray-green color. Flowers in axillary clusters, 10-40 flowers, creamy-white, appear in spring-early summer.
- Sun. Easily grown. Prune as needed to promote branching.
- Hardy to USDA Zone 8 Native to eastern Australia.
- microcarpa: from Greek micro, small, and carpos, fruit; referring to the small fruit.
- Silverton, Oregon: The Oregon Garden.