Genista pilosa Fabaceae
Silkyleaf Woadwaxen, Silkyleaf Broom je-NIS-ta pi-LO-sa
- Deciduous, prostrate (mostly) to erect shrub, to 12-18 inches (30-45 cm), green stems, finely pubescent. Leaves alternate, simple, small (15 x 4 mm), deep green above, silvery pubescence below. Flowers in terminal recemes, 1-3 axillary flowers, golden-yellow, cover the plants in late spring.
- Full sun and well drained soil.
- Hardy to USDA Zone 5 Native range from southern Sweden to the Mediterranean; in dry summer areas.
- Genista: classical Latin name for broom. pilosa: with long, soft hairs.
- Oregon State Univ. campus: northwest Finley dorm. (next to Pinus strobus)