- Deciduous tree, 20-30 ft (6-9 m), often multi-stemmed, wide spreading branches. Leaves alternate, simple, ovate-oblong, 5-11 cm long, acuminate, base rounded to weakly cordate, margin doubly serrate, 20-24 deeply impressed vein pairs, dark green in summer, yellowish in fall. Male and female flowers in separate clusters (catkins) on the same tree. Fruit catkin slender stalked, 5-6 cm long, composed of overlapping bracts, each about 2 cm long; nutlet covered by branchlets opposite the bract.
- Sun to shade. tolerates various soil types, best in moist well drained soil.
- Hardy to USDA Zone (4)5 Native to Japan.
- Portland, Oregon: Elk Rock Garden, 11800 SW Military Lane.
- Oregon State Univ. campus: in parking lot southwest of Reser Stadium.