Master Gardener Training: Outline
All the information I present is on the Oregon State University Landscape Plants website.
(To find put oregon state landscape plants in your browser.)
Items to be discussed:
- How many woody plants (tree, shrubs and vines) are there and how can we began to identify them?
- Characteristics used to identify woody plants with the emphasis on leaves: types, size, their attachment, etc.
- Fresh plant material will be passed around which show these characteristics.
- Plant names: scientific, cultivars, patents and commercial names, etc.
- How to use the search system on the Oregon State University Landscape Plants website.
- Plant ID test:
In the second half of the presentation, groups of students will attempt to identify about 13 of
different woody plants, mostly from fresh material. This is done by recognizing the appropriate plant
characteristics of each plant and then using these characteristics in the woody plant search system on
the Oregon State University Landscape Plants website.