Lab Animal Residency Program
The Oregon Laboratory Animal Medicine Veterinary Residency Consortium
A multi-institutional three-year residency program that includes the participation of three primary sites:
- Oregon State University (Corvallis, OR), College of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Biomedical Research, and the Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory,
- Oregon Health & Science University (Portland, OR) Central and Waterfront Campuses, Department of Comparative Medicine and the
- Oregon National Primate Research Center/West Campus OHSU, Division of Comparative Medicine (Beaverton, OR).
This is an American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine (ACLAM)-recognized residency program designed to prepare graduate veterinarians for careers in laboratory animal medicine and to pass the ACLAM certification examination. All participating institutions and associated programs, Legacy Research Institute and the Portland Veterans Affairs Medical Center are fully accredited by the Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care, International (AAALAC). Each participating site selects residents using the hiring requirements of their specific institution. Residents spend the majority of their time at their home site but, also do scheduled rotations among the other participating institutions.
The program includes a total of two years focused on didactic training and supervised clinical experience and one year of mentored research. The program emphasizes comparative and preventive medicine and is designed to develop proficiency in clinical laboratory animal medicine and graduate level biomedical research. Clinical and pathology training include lectures and seminars by AVMA specialty-boarded veterinarians covering a range of pertinent topics in laboratory animal models, species biology and disease conditions, facility management and design, human resources organization, and regulatory affairs and accreditation oversight.
This Consortium provides a unique collaborative opportunity for residents and ensures their exposure to a complete array of laboratory animal species, a wide-range of research projects, and a large faculty devoted to this program and the residents’ success.
For additional information contact one of the Consortium Site Directors:
- Oregon State University: Helen E. Diggs, MEd, DVM, DACLAM, Residency Consortium Director, Laboratory Animal Resources Center Director/Campus Attending Veterinarian, Research Office and College of Veterinary Medicine, Corvallis, OR. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Oregon Health & Science University, Department of Comparative Medicine: Kim Saunders, DVM, DACLAM, Director and Professor, Department of Comparative Medicine, OHSU/Central and Waterfront Campuses, Portland, OR. email@example.com
- Oregon National Primate Research Center, Oregon Health & Science University/West Campus: Stanton Gray, DVM, PhD, Assistant Associate Director, Associate Professor, Head of Clinical Medicine Unit, Division of Comparative Medicine, ONPRC, Beaverton, OR. firstname.lastname@example.org